IGNORED

Knights of the Old Republic...

Boutros

I got this game on releaseday after looking forward to it for ages, and played it 70% through until I kind of forgot about it for about 6 months.

Yesterday, I picked up KOTOR again with the intention of finishing it.

It is sweet, isn't it? Bioware truly is a class act.

* Intricate storyline with fleshed out characters.

* Brilliant gfx (some refreshrate-issues though).

* Lovely battle system.

* Nice character customizability and upgradability (customized AD&D rules).

So, is anyone still playing this game? or just finished it?

Is the ending any good? Or is it an anti-climax?

I heard somewhere Bioware is working on KOTOR2. Can anyone confirm this? And what about that other XBox RPg they're working on?

I finished it, but struggle to remember what I enjoyed about it. There were a couple of puzzles which pleased me as they meant you had to use your head for a change, but they took you out of the game if you know what I mean. I thought the combat animations were well done and loved having a lightsabre, but the level design was generally extremely dull, combat was confusing and unituitive and the Star Wars licence was wasted, frankly. I certainly wouldn't buy another game without major changes.

It is without doubt a very acomplished game.

However I found much of it to be quite a slog even though it did quite a good job of creating the atmosphere. As Linkster sais I would struggle to think what I really enjoyed about it. I too found the combat too scrappy and halfway through the game I found myself giving up due to boredom. If I was a big star wars fan I am sure I would have kept going but I'm not so I didn't.

Like I said. Clearly a well made game though.

I heard somewhere Bioware is working on KOTOR2. Can anyone confirm this? And what about that other XBox RPg they're working on?

yeah it's in next months xbox mag, apparantly.

it is a brilliant game. there's another thread from the other day. someone was asking for inspiration to play it. you should post in there too.

Probably my 2nd favourite game of last year, behind Wind Waker.

Everything about it was just immense, travelling between different Star Wars planets soaking up all the atmosphere, the amazing dialogue and characters, a battle system that lets you play at your own pace and with enough customisation to warrant playing through several times (4 for me :P ).

And of course, you get a lightsaber, or a 'lifesaver' as my mate calls it <_<

I missed loads of subquests, I couldn't see the point. Just wanted to finish the damn thing.

Most of them are a damn site easier if you're evil as well. You dont have to bother paying for things then.

Gets you through the tedium quicker. <_<

Probably my 2nd favourite game of last year, behind Wind Waker.

Everything about it was just immense, travelling between different Star Wars planets soaking up all the atmosphere, the amazing dialogue and characters, a battle system that lets you play at your own pace and with enough customisation to warrant playing through several times (4 for me :P ).

And of course, you get a lightsaber, or a 'lifesaver' as my mate calls it <_<

You see. Most of the positive things you mention are to do with atmosphere, characters etc rather than the gameplay. Which was distinctly lacking in the non combat sections.

The combat is either stop start stop start or it's mannick. There's no middle ground.

Oh I'm just playing devils advocate here. :ph34r:

And to say that obviously you need to be a huge star wars fan to fully appreciate it just doesn't cut it.

A game needs to be good outside of its license in order to be a true classic.

I've never really liked Star Wars let alone been a fan, yet I found it totally compelling.

I've never really liked Star Wars let alone been a fan, yet I found it totally compelling.

That makes sense to me, as a big SW fan I thought it had everything that was bad about the license (crummy characters except for the robot, bad voice acting, irritating American dialogue, overly moralistic), more Trek than Wars.

If there's another game, I'd hope they do what Factor5 eventually figured out - if you're making a SW game, cut the crap and give us the original trilogy.

Guest Two Heavens

Atmosphere and the like can easily elevate a good game to a great game. I'm sure I could go through just about any game you care to mention, reduce it to its component gameplay and make it sound dull.

I get the feeling I've typed something like this before, probably in a KOTOR thread.

Atmosphere and the like can easily elevate a good game to a great game. I'm sure I could go through just about any game you care to mention, reduce it to its component gameplay and make it sound dull.

I get the feeling I've typed something like this before, probably in a KOTOR thread.

Prime example - Crystal Chronicles. In single player, at least.

You see. Most of the positive things you mention are to do with atmosphere, characters etc rather than the gameplay. Which was distinctly lacking in the non combat sections.

The combat is either stop start stop start or it's mannick. There's no middle ground.

Oh I'm just playing devils advocate here. <_<

Walking along and whipping out my dual lightsabers was the only diversion I needed while negotiating Tattoine :P

It was the little things that ended up getting me in the end... I'd take out my lightsabre, but couldn't put it away unless I just stood there for a while. And it would regularly 'clip' through people without harm.

I know it's an RPG not an action game, (thus shouldn't really reflect reality) etc, etc, but I would have really liked the presentation to be 'tidied-up' a bit more, especially if it's going to be throwing battles into the normal game environment.

Meh. <_<

I thought it was pretty dire, and I'm a /huge/ fan of RPGs.

What Ed said.

I just found it really dull, with unsatisfying combat and annoying load times.

I went back to it last week, then finally gave up and traded it in when it started crashing/freezing.

You don't consider the character interaction to be gameplay? Pfft. Lucasarts would be turning in its grave, if it had actually ceased to live instead of metamorphosing into an evil lightsaber-wielding zombie. :P

• 16 years later...

Funny to see this thread pop up, as KOTOR 2 has finally been released on mobile this week! Apparently there are some initial bugs so may be best to hold off for a little bit and let those get sorted, I guess if you haven't already you could play the first one on mobile whilst you wait. ;)