IGNORED

You're right, they're wrong.

JoeK

Spyhunter:

A much hated game, but I love it's fast paced explosive action.

Sonic Heroes:

I real call back to the 2d thrills of old. No safety net, and better for it.

Blade 2:

A rhythm action beat em up. Absolutely washes the floor with Grabbed by the Ghoulies use of analogue combat. Repetitive for sure, but great fun never the less.

I also found both Primal and Ghosthunter to be great adventure games, and whilst the pace of both games could do with a kick, the adventure element is executed with considerable aplomb. The combat for Ghosthunter was fine too.

A lot of movie licensed stuff gets a tough ride, and whilst rarely any of it is above average, a lot of it, (Minority Report, Spiderman, Bad Boys 2, Robocop, Matrix etc) offer a nice bit of movie tie in fun.

Whoever said YAGER, I agree, a very underrated game. Reminded me of the 3rd colony wars one a bit.

And NOMAD SOUL was great, except for the FPS bits. I was enjoying that one a lot till I was plonked on some rooftops with a gun. Had to stop then.

Of course, what we're really talking about here are marmite games, I think.

Spider-man

I'll freely admit there was plenty to dislike about this game but the range of moves avalible and the fluidty of the action was fantastic. The outside levels were espaically glorious with plenty of free swinging and fast paced action. The camera was a pain I admit but once you get past it you really can have fun with all the moves availible. Of perticular favourite of mine was the web move which meant I could hook on to an enemy and swing them around my head until I can use them to hit other enemies. Lovely.

The new version coming out this year looks set to fix the problems of the first one and perhaps even take a GTA like approch to the city and the action.

The old PS version? By Neversoft, IIRC? I liked that too, especially the fast paced bit where you had to swing/climb across buildings with helicopters chasing and shooting rockets and machine guns. Stand still for a moment and you may very well be toast.

But I thought people did like that?

Or do you mean the PS2 game, which apparently was disliked?

And NOMAD SOUL was great, except for the FPS bits. I was enjoying that one a lot till I was plonked on some rooftops with a gun. Had to stop then.

Of course, what we're really talking about here are marmite games, I think.

Aye, exactly the same here. Good adventuring, passable fighting, disturbing David Bowie and SHIT FPS bits. I got to an FPS bit with a ton of boxes (?) which you had to jump around and had to give up. This was shortly after another FPS bit where you had to cross a river/blow up a bridge or summat.

I remember getting so far into the game, not realising you could die and be resurrected, until I got whalopped by a mech for trying to leave the city.

Then I got to have fun being a nurse - wahey, eh :P

Edited by yprbest

Trespasser for me, and Wild Metal Country. Great little game, but does anyone have a full copy? You cant get the blasted thing anywhere.

Yes and Yes!

You are the man - Wild Metal Country ruled (but it was much better on the PC than the DC) as did Trespasser (see my earlier post).

Wonder what that says about us? Probably that we like having to use a basic knowledge of physics to be successful in our games :P

Halo i love it, my mate at college says it's shit and boreing and metroid prime is 10times better :P . he's a total nintendo fan boy so i don't bother argueing with him anymore :(

Hmm, I dunno... Metroid is rather good.

But I'd put Halo ahead of it. Just. (Though comparing the two is obviously unfair: one's an FPS, the other an adventure (or FPA))

Without wishing to go all Star-Warsy, I'd imagine they'd decide to call it the Republic again...

But then, what do I know?

In the post Return of the Jedi Star Wars books (New Jedi Order, Shadows of the Empire etc), it's called "The New Republic".

Salamander on the NES - now that's going back a bit.

F22 Interceptor (Mega Drive) despite some awful slowdown and very early 3D graphics this game amused me for months, and I picked up a copy recently from Cash Convertors for two quid. Lovely.

Dark Star on the Spectrum.

Loaded when the original Playstation arrived.

Battle Engine Aquila (xbox) - gorgeous to look at and a bit samey but great at a tenner.

Trickstyle, on the Dreamcast.

It got a 9 in DC-UK, but decidedly more average marks in other magazines, and no-one talks about it. However, I still think of it as one of the consoles finest hours.

The difficulty curve may have been slightly skewed (easy up to the nigh-on impossible last three tracks) but in terms of visuals, sound and control, it's hardly aged :P

Edited by ICECOLD

Big Rigs!!! ;)

;)

Um... I always quite like Alundra 2, in spite of pretty much universal criticisms that I was blissfully unaware of at the time. I still don't understand people's problems with it, to be honest.

And... Mission: Impossible - Operation Surma I thought was a far fairer (and often improved, in some ways) rip-off of Splinter Cell, and I quite enjoyed it (only got, like, a 6 in official PS2 mag, I think, and a 3 in GamesTM - crazy!)

Can't think of anything else, really. Erm... I really enjoyed FFVIII, in spite of its problems. No, actually that was generally hailed by all (until people got to the 3rd disc). In that case, I put forward Legend of Dragoon (PSX) - generic trash, but epic trash!!

The two games offer different things. Like Gran Turismo and Burnout. Both racing games. Both are different. Some people like different things.

That's more like it. ;)

True, although both GT and Burnout weren't as overlooked as 1080 Avalanche/Rez/Ico/etc. Why are some (brilliant) games overlooked? Is it a lack of advertising/coverage?

Edited by Meerman