IGNORED

Galleon

BubbleFish

I haven't played it, so I shouldn't pass judgement I guess. But screenshots, trailers, in-game movies and all that have not impressed me a bit. In fact, I think it looks like shit. But if the gameplay and story are really REALLY good, I might get it. But somehow I think this one will sink into oblivion before Christmas.

I agree - I think the movies and screenshots look crap. Seeing it in the flesh was a very pleasant surprise indeed.

Not that I expect it to sell that well anyway.

The most recent movie on Gametrailers has impressed me again (the one that says JUNE 2004 at the end). I just love the way it seems to flow so lovely like. I can imagine that once the control system becomes second nature - moving the camera instead of turning the player like the warthog in Halo - it could offer huge scope to just be at one with the landscape. If it gives that then you can shove all the bumpmapping and normal mapping and shit up your arse, quite frankly.

moving the camera instead of turning the player like the warthog in Halo

Of course you'd need to make sure this system works well in a combat situation, or that the character doesn't become the victim of endless unavoidable deaths thanks to the lack of actual control.

Still, as long as the game rules are consistend then that shouldn't be a problem. Also, let's hope we can explore the levels rather than being forced into a particular route, that would be a shame.

• 4 weeks later...

Galleon is out on the 11th June and the first review score is in:

http://www.sci.co.uk/games/press_releases.asp?id=155

Gold Award review just in - 92%! (04/05/2004)

A review for Galleon™ has just been published in Computer & Video Games, the world’s longest running games magazine and one of the most respected. This review was positively glowing, really showing that the game is worth its weight in Gold… highly appropriate as Galleon™ has been awarded a score of 92% and a Gold Award! Check out these press quotes taken from the review - to read the article in full, be sure to check out the newsstands where Computer & Video Games magazine will be on sale.

"The equivalent of the summer's biggest Oscar-winning blockbuster, it's breathtaking and destined to become an adventure classic. Totally unmissable."

"Galleon's a golden nugget of gaming excellence."

“One of the most essential videogame experiences of the moment”

"Varied, fast, challenging and electrifying. Galleon is bloody amazing."

“Proof that the best things really do come to those who wait”

“The sense of exhilaration is unlike almost anything else you’ve felt in an action game.”

“Spectacularly smooth and fast”

“So incredibly believable you’ll swear you’re watching a Pixar movie”

“The puzzles are as varied and imaginative as any found in The Wind Waker”

Just reporting the news...

I don't know...I'd give something with Rabies a LOT of respect....

would you trust it to know what makes a good game? or even to wait for finished code? what about trusting it to not take a huge bung?

I'm talking about a dog with rabies here, obviously. none of this applies to CVG in any way, shape or form and any similarity is entirely coincidental

The code is finished at the very least.

Guru - for you to say the game turns out to be "as crap as it's meant to be" is a bit rich considering no one of consequence has said it's crap and quite a few people who know a significance amount about games have said it's pretty good.

Guru - for you to say the game turns out to be "as crap as it's meant to be" is a bit rich considering no one of consequence has said it's crap and quite a few people who know a significance amount about games have said it's pretty good.

she just means that it looks like it's shit. which it does.

having not played the game, but seen various stuffs about it, I'm in the average consumer's position. and the game looks pants to me at the moment. I would only pursue any interest in it if a certain magazine gave it a ten. 9 wouldn't be enough - see TS2.

Well, I've got a vested interest (have shares in SCi) but, trying to be objective, I have to say from what I've seen so far the game looks charming with a lot of British humour. I understand the point about the graphics not being technically brilliant but although they may not be cutting edge I think the game looks beautiful.

The proof of the pudding is in the playing so a bit difficult to have a strong opinion on this one without trying it out but it looks like Galleon isn't going to be the car-crash that so many expected.

Wait a minute.

So people who do not like Galleon - me, me, me - have probably no significance amount of knowledge about games/gaming? Thanks ;)

So incredibly believable you’ll swear you’re watching a Pixar movie

They appear to have misspelled "swear you’re watching an N64 game".

Ho ho.

I'm actually looking forward to this and have my fingers and toes crossed it turns out well in the end. I couldn't resist a little schadenfreude though, as I picked up some old Edges at the weekend from another forumite, including the Toby Gard "Ferrari for every toe" issue from 6 years ago. "Out the other side of Xmas", they said. "Game of the Millennium", they said. Sadly, they didn't specify which Xmas or which millennium. Still, he was suitably chastened when re-interviewed recently, so it seems churlish to keep beating them up about it, poor blokes.

Wait a minute.

So people who do not like Galleon - me, me, me - have probably no significance amount of knowledge about games/gaming? Thanks 8)

No problem.

I put the views of certain people I know about a million times higher than yours. It's not personal - I don't know you but I know them. Are you someone of consequence?

Basically, I'm just glad that from the personal views I've heard (from people I know), overall they're positive. I don't care much for first reviews, especially if they're exclusives, I care slightly less for the average hardcore gamer reviews and I care less than zero about the views of people who haven't played it and are basing their views on a few screenshots and videos which do the final game no justice whatsoever.

Graham - that quote is ridiculous, isn't it? The game does move very nicely though and I'm imagining they're discussing the stylised aspect and animation rather than the polygon count.