E136

Space Renegade Ulala

Couldn't disagree more.

I think Edge were prophets with this one. The game is getting on for being three years old and yet I still have 5-6 hour multiplayer sessions with it twice a week. Can't say that of any other game ever. Not even mario kart, street fighter 2 or my beloved goldeneye.

I bet that American guy who can max out Pac-Man on one credit thinks that's just super, too. ;)

They're all rated in the NOW. So, arguably, a NOW 10 is worth more than a THEN 10. That's why Halo is better than GE. Didn't GE get 9? ;)

the only flaw in that arguement is that GE is better than halo.

does that mean a THEN 9 is better than a THEN 10?

No game is ever a 10, especially by Edge standards, what if Halo 2 is better than Halo (by actually being a complete game for one thing) ? it gets a 10.5? ;)

I'm sure Halo 2 will be 'Halo with knobs on'. Could they improve it? Teach this uneducated man (that's me, I mean) how it would be possible to make Halo 2 a revolution.

the only flaw in that arguement is that GE is better than halo.

does that mean a THEN 9 is better than a THEN 10?

yeah. GE is better than HALO but didn't EDGE admit they printed the wrong score like with GTA3?

[twitchy bat] Well, as with the first, they wouldn't necessarily have to make it a revolution for everyone to proclaim it one [/twitchy bat]

I just thought of one.

Make the people who didn't like the first one like the second one. Result and a half! Ne'er gonna happen, though.

Couldn't disagree more.

I think Edge were prophets with this one. The game is getting on for being three years old and yet I still have 5-6 hour multiplayer sessions with it twice a week. Can't say that of any other game ever. Not even mario kart, street fighter 2 or my beloved goldeneye.

It is also the most discussed game on this forum. FACT.

Almost all games are a test of memory, Marathon and Halo are no exception to this. Admittedly Halo is more dynamic, but you can manipulate patterns (something that cracks open Legendary rather brutally I should add). As for keyboard players, well Marathon wasn't an FPS with one of those new fangled "free look" functions. Within the confines of what it offered, there was a level playing field.

Whilst there are unique weapons to both Halo and Marathon, and both games do also have a ridiculously overpowered starting weapon, the games are still generic due to the fundamental foundation of games design that they adhere to. They aren't revolutionary, they just improve upon what others have done. They are both good games though, but I see no reason or justification to proclaim some kind of gaming "second coming". If anything, in doing so it exemplifies a remarkably weak sense of character.

I do feel that good games need to be championed, however the praise heaped on Halo is so hideously unbalanced and overshadows games of equal quality. The example of the Marathon series, an equally outstanding FPS from the same developer, was only used to highlight this matter.

As for the AI of the Elites being enhanced on Legendary, and that the gauging of the environment is of paramount importance, it's not. Just like taking the vidmaster oath on Marathon and obliterating your opposition with your bare fists, Halo on Legendary is merely a matter of pattern recognition. It does require intense bouts of concentration though, but so do many other games...but they don't seem to carry as much kudos.

EDGE's score was prophetic though. It started the bandwagon jumping. Pity that.

As the editor of Edge, I hereby re-score Halo (yes, I can do this, y'know) 8/10.

Now stop!

Actually, now I think about it, I mean 9/10.

No, hold on: 9.2/10.

No, wait... Well... Hmmm... No, actually, that'll do.

OK... How about 7/10? How does that grab you?

Fine! 10/10, then! That's my final offer.

Oh, piss off.

As the editor of Edge, I hereby re-score Halo (yes, I can do this, y'know) 8/10.

Now stop!

Oh, piss off.

Now do Mario Kart: DD :P

Almost all games are a test of memory, Marathon and Halo are no exception to this. Admittedly Halo is more dynamic, but you can manipulate patterns (something that cracks open Legendary rather brutally I should add). As for keyboard players, well Marathon wasn't an FPS with one of those new fangled "free look" functions. Within the confines of what it offered, there was a level playing field.

Whilst there are unique weapons to both Halo and Marathon, and both games do also have a ridiculously overpowered starting weapon, the games are still generic due to the fundamental foundation of games design that they adhere to. They aren't revolutionary, they just improve upon what others have done. They are both good games though, but I see no reason or justification to proclaim some kind of gaming "second coming". If anything, in doing so it exemplifies a remarkably weak sense of character.

I do feel that good games need to be championed, however the praise heaped on Halo is so hideously unbalanced and overshadows games of equal quality. The example of the Marathon series, an equally outstanding FPS from the same developer, was only used to highlight this matter.

As for the AI of the Elites being enhanced on Legendary, and that the gauging of the environment is of paramount importance, it's not. Just like taking the vidmaster oath on Marathon and obliterating your opposition with your bare fists, Halo on Legendary is merely a matter of pattern recognition. It does require intense bouts of concentration though, but so do many other games...but they don't seem to carry as much kudos.

EDGE's score was prophetic though. It started the bandwagon jumping. Pity that.

Are the words in this post in the wrong order or something?

Are the words in this post in the wrong order or something?

I understood it all apart from "If anything, in doing so it exemplifies a remarkably weak sense of character".

*edit* but I thought the bit about manipulating patterns was rather good, even if being able to do so doesn't crack open legendary brutally for me. But one day, it will. Oh yes.

Now stop!

Oh, piss off.

Take it to an Edge forum.

Oh...

As for keyboard players, well Marathon wasn't an FPS with one of those new fangled "free look" functions. Within the confines of what it offered, there was a level playing field.

All Marathon games had freelook. It wasn't until Infinity incorporated InputSprockets that they worked properly, however. That's not the issue here, however.

Whilst there are unique weapons to both Halo and Marathon, and both games do also have a ridiculously overpowered starting weapon, the games are still generic due to the fundamental foundation of games design that they adhere to.

But then that could be said about every game that's ever belonged to any established genre. As for the starting weapons being overpowered, why so? They are useful throughout the game, and in being so, break the normal Laws of FPS Design in which your starting weapon will be superfluous by the time you reach the third level.

Halo is a better game than Marathon.

And I am a huge fan of Marathon.

As for the AI of the Elites being enhanced on Legendary, and that the gauging of the environment is of paramount importance, it's not. Just like taking the vidmaster oath on Marathon and obliterating your opposition with your bare fists, Halo on Legendary is merely a matter of pattern recognition.

AFAIK the AI isn't enhanced, the same AI is being used on all difficulties. However, on Legendary you will notice it because enemies in general and elites in particular will take a while to kill. And pattern recognition is hardly useful when enemies will do different things every time you go up against them, or when rocks and enemy locations are randomly generated.

Will there be a blue or a red elite spawned there? It makes all difference as the blue one will chase after you whereas the red one will stay back trying to snipe you. And that's only one of the brilliant touches that make Halo such a standout experience. It definitely deserves all the praise it gets.

it's true - a review in a magazine with a circulation of 30000 can be directly attributed to the millions of sales the game has enjoyed.

Well, yeah, but I don't like to blow the old trumpet.

it's true - a review in a magazine with a circulation of 30000 can be directly attributed to the millions of sales the game has enjoyed.

Edge's influence on the gaming community extends far, far beyond it's circulation. So that's a crap argument.

Can we also stop we the anecdotal evidence? For all the people that can cite the fact they were playing Halo 3 years after it's release and I can cite about 10 other games that I and my friends regularly play years and years after their release. It means precisely this:

Edge's influence on the gaming community extends far, far beyond it's circulation. So that's a crap argument.

Well, I'd like to hear a counterargument for why a review matters so much to some people.

edit: if bomber brings up the manhunt review, I will hunt him down and slice his head off with some rusty wire.