Great final acts

Alex W.

What bothered me was that it was basically the plot of Twiins, which meant that Snake, as the recessive twin, should have been played by Danny De Vito...

That would've been great!!

Except that Snake was the dominant one and thus would have been played by the Govenor of California - which would've been shit.

Snake: "Vulcan Raven... ICE to meet you!! Hahahahaha!"

Hmm, you've got a point there, they don't actually state that Sanke is the recessive one (which I assumed is what Ocelot really meant). I prefer for Snake to be the recessive one, though- that he managed to become a legend through skill and training in spite of being genetically predisposed to being crap. In fact, that crapness would explain why he's far more easily killed than Liquid.

Edited by Alex W.

Ack, you're absolutely right, somehow I completely forgot its significance after deciding that Liquid was the "genetically superior" one... so it turns out that Liquid was the superior one in practice in spite of being genetically predisposed to being crap, so it all works out nicely thematically anyway.

Theres two endings?! What are they - I've only completed it once on PS1.

*SPOILERS!!*

Ending 1 - Surrender to Ocelot in the torture room, then finish the game. Meryl dies and you escape with Otacon. You learn Meryl was Campbell's daughter, not his neice. You get the stealth camouflage as a reward for the next new game you start.

Ending 2 - Don't surrender to Ocelot in the torture room, then finish the game. Meryl survives and Otacon guides you from within the base to the exit. You learn that there was a third brother - Solidus - who is the President of the United States. You get the bandanna as a reward for the next new game you start.

After getting both endings, you can play the game with a Tuxedo for Snake and a Spider-man style suit for Ninja.

Ending 3 - Some extra music in the credits or something. :wacko:

EDIT: I've messed something up there, but can't be arsed to correct it. :lol:

Actually, just to add some further confusion to the matter of the ending to Metal Gear Solid I always wondered

SPOILERS

What exactly Solidus was? I think they refer to him as being 'balanced' but they never quite elaborate on what that means, not even in the sequal as I recall. I assum he's a 'regular' clone of Big Boss in that he hasn't been tampered with in the same way Liquid and Solid were, but is this ever been made clear?

• 11 months later...

Manhunt - It's very sick yet extremely satisfying and it doean't overdo the ending like most videogames. Gave me a huge amount of satisfaction.

Psyvariar - The whole screen just repeatedly fills with thousands of bullets. It's fantastically intense and impressive.

The fight on top of Rex was appalling though. All you can do is punch-punch-kick and all he does is shoulder charge you. It really was the worst bit of the game, letdown by the crappy combat system. If you are going to make a set piece battle that uses purely close combat you shouldn't have such a laughably inept close combat system. Still, it was a good idea just purely executed.

The jeep and the fight against Rex were good. The jeep even lets you do 1st person targeting. Which was nice.

TTFN

hehehehe

play MGS3 :)

:P

Yeah another vote for Conker's Bad Fur Day. That's the closest I've ever come to crying at a video game. I felt myself welling up when I watched that ending, and still feel sombre even thinking about it now.

Conker's Bad Fur Day - it's just so sad...

EDIT: Grrrr. despite reading the whole thread, I come up with a lonely sentence. Really should elaborate.

Anyway, thw whole final section, from the 'enter the vertex' bit onwards is just cracking. Obviously it's not the hardest game in the world to complete, but the storming a building in bullet time / chucking the alien out of the spaceship, combined with that ending is just plain aces...

"That" ending is still one of the bravest endings I've ever seen in a videogame.

Especially one like Conker, crude jokes and laughs all the way through then at the end "SLAP"

A risky move and one that in my eyes paid off. Although I'm sure some people would have been annoyed that it wasn't more up beat.

Spayyyyyyyyce Channel 5. Either part, it doesn't matter as they both end ace to the power of inifinty.

Agreed, but I liked the original's ending over the sequel. I think it was just having everyone on the Channel 5 building, cheering you on - magical. The ending for Part 2 felt a little forced (it was groovy, sure, but not as powerful).

Oh, and I couldn't be bothered to read the thread any more than this, but Zone of the Enders: The 2nd Runner has an absolutely stupendous final-quarter. Some glorious set pieces and then the stunning but controller-mashing final boss. Oh my God, I need that game again.

Metroid Prime. The Impact Crater was perhaps the only 'Metroidy' environment in the whole game.

Pretty much all the Metal Slug games have extremely satisfying climaxes (oo er) as well. Especially Metal Slug 3.

"Just because we're talking about a fictional story doesn't mean the science behind it doesn't matter."

I would argue that it does. Imagine if I threw the toys out of the pram every time Samus rolled into a ball...

Mt god! I am not alone! In your face, Uncle Clive and Phelan! In both your faces! BK is better than M64.

Count me in also.

And if noones mentioned it, Sonic 3 & Knuckles.

After four bosses in a row starting from the end of Death Egg zone, you'd think, after the weird gravity machine, giant eggy machine, eggy machine chasing you, and finally robotnik trying to make one last attempt to escape, that it would be over.

Then you go bang into DOOMSDAY ZONE

Need I say more?