IGNORED

Rare want interns

Paradigm

They never come back you know.

the ones that escape come back as broken men, screaming gibberish about " the cameras! the cameras! " "n-n-n-n-no headphones in the workplace!" and "no sh-sh-sh-sharing of code between teams!"

*cue twilight zone music*

If you ask me they're now shit fullstop. Didn't all their decent staff leave a while back? Judging from GBTG, it sure looks like they did.

The staff that really matter are the core people, the Stampers, The Hochbergs and a few people who've been there for ever. Those are the people that made Rare what they are\were. If those people have lost interest or become too distant from actual development then that is the problem.

Whatever you do, don't make jokes about leaking information if you get a job there. First hand experience says it may be read by some very pissy people in HR, who will deny you even an interview. Even if you explain in clear terms you were joking.

Having said that, I'm with DangerM now. My admiration for them dissipated some years ago.

Headphones can really help concentration in a noisy office. The trick is to get the right environment.

I agree . . . place I worked had open plan offices.

Unfortunately for the engineers, we had developers, sales and support staff in the same space for my division. Headphones are pretty popular in those circumstances!

Even worse, when I first started I came from a publishing background, and was used to chatting and joking with my workmates during the day. I got moved into the engineers' space in a reorganisation and spent a few weeks completely destroying productivity until I picked up on the vibe. Developers bringing baseball bats in to work gave me the hint.

DeMarco and Lister's "Peopleware" has a few choice words to say on the subject, and is worth checking out if you're the reading type and might be running development teams one day.

The trick is combining headphones with MSN, but then you end up messaging the people 2 yards away from you!

Hey, it works, its the system I'm using now.

BTW, I've got tired of Rare-bashing but people seem to be getting the message finally :D

You're right about them never coming back, i recently met a couple of people who work for RARE (one HR, one senior programmer) and they basically admitted that the point of the internships is to get you in, then you're more likely to stay on with them when they ask you to.

As for GBTG, its basically the same team that did Banjo Kazooie, maybe they've just lost their touch :D

no code sharing between teams? For heavens sake, why? Security?

surely its to promote innovation and stop all there games feeling the same. Also it sounds a bit like ibm and nintendo, they promote competition between teams (as jpickford was saying i think).