Anime

Sekiro

Durarara 20:

So thanks to Kida's stupidity, Izaya's plan is coming together very nicely. I can't for the life of me understand why the latter wants to start a turf war though. Is he doing it for kicks or is there actually a point to all this?

The latest episode of The Tatami Galaxy was brilliant. It's fast becoming my favourite show of the season.

I just love the way it remixes and repurposes the characters for each new episode, while at the same time linking all the different realities together as if they were happening simultaneously. It's fucking mental. This episode also gets special mention for Johnny, the personification of the main character's libido. I'm not 100% sure whether he was meant to be a parody of Woody from Toy Story but that's certainly what he reminded me of.

It's absolute genius. :)

Some new licenses (or existing ones coming soon) announced at London Expo

MVM - will start to release 2-disc sets

Moribito release in September

Slayers Revolutions & Evolution-R

Blade of the Immortal

Beez

Durarara!! - sub only release

Gundam 00 - Season 2

Gundam Zeta - movie versions

Outlaw Star - straight to Anime Legends

Manga

Eden of the East - BD/DVD by October

Bacanno - before the end of the year

Solid State Society in BD

Vampire Knight - single disc, but should be under a tenner by October

Vampire Knight Guilty

Professor Layton and the Eternal Diva - October

Kamui - August

By the Will of Genghis Khan - August

K-20 - August

interesting list. Adding comments to a quote is annoying, so I'll go with repeating some of the list with my personal thoughts attached

MVM - will start to release 2-disc sets I think this makes the the last of the current publishers to do this. A welcome move

Slayers Revolutions & Evolution-R no big surprise, decent speed

Beez

Durarara!! - sub only release Interesting idea, will be interesting to see if it catches on

Gundam 00 - Season 2 yawn.

Gundam Zeta - movie versions certainly better then no version,but i'll stick to the series version when I get around to it

Outlaw Star - straight to Anime Legends More handling of catlog titles this way please

Manga

Eden of the East - BD/DVD by October Pretty happy about a BD release, I only watched the first two eps before deciding to change my viewing habits. Place in the rental queue guarenteed

Bacanno - before the end of the year For some reason I assumed this was already released

Beez

Durarara!! - sub only release Interesting idea, will be interesting to see if it catches on

You mean catch on like it already has done with the release of Aria and Maria-sama Ga Miteru as sub only boxsets?

Manga

Bacanno - before the end of the year For some reason I assumed this was already released

It's been out in America for ages but it's yet to make it's way over here.

You mean catch on like it already has done with the release of Aria and Maria-sama Ga Miteru as sub only boxsets?

Is that just the US though? There has been sub-only stuff there before (and the companies arising from ADV are doing some too), but not here. Or nothing big anyway.

Aye, those were my thoughts. Adv did at least one in the Us (all the City Hunter Tv boxsets spring to mind), and it's becoming popular as a common practice in the States now because of cost/sales expectations for licenses that may not do so well (the two mentioned are good examples). I can also see it increasing going forward seeing as official subs exist for all the shows on Crunchyroll (see:Gintama's sub release).

But it's not common here. Aria and Maria-Sama aren't licensed here as far as I know

Well yeah but I'm pointing out it's not exactly a new idea. I think there's always been this thought that anime needs to have dubbing which indreases the cost. Then someone pointed out "hey they're all fucking nerds anyway, lets just give them only the subs and cut costs"

I got that part, and you're right. But it's definitely not known in the Uk and I'm confident it will only happen when they are forced to by lack of a dub in the states. Certainly it's cheaper to shove past the BBFC, as they have to pay for each language.

Everything in this post is Eva 2.22 spoilers. You've been fucking warned ;)

Good thinking. That hadn't occured to me.

I would have assumed that it was either Lilith or the basis for Unit 06 were it not for the outline's strangely elongated head/neck section. That's what made me think of the MP Eva.

3.0 preview spoilers:

There I was, thinking to myself "I don't remember anything that mind-blowing about the preview" but it had been a while so I took another look to refresh my memory. Tokyo III abandoned? Nerv personel imprisoned? Unit 08 and its pilot awakened! (There's a Unit 07!?)

:facepalm:

I'll have to watch the 3.0 preview again, I don't remember any of that. But then I was concentrating on certain images more then others I guess

HOLY FUCKING SHITCAKES, YOU'RE NOT WRONG! :D

The film was a bit worn out, there were some weird audio spikes and the fire alarm was set off for about 30 seconds but aside from that, it was absolutely superb. It was great to see it with a proper translation too as, perhaps unsurprisingly, the subs for the camrip missed a ton of information.

It really could have done with some subtitles for Kaji's dialogue at the beginning though. His engrish was beyond compare.

:lol:

Actually I didn't think it was that bad.

Obviously his voice actor has a lack of experience with english, but it seemed a reasonable attempt from someone having to bullshit his way through. A lack of 'natural' pronunciation rather then what he was saying. Compare to say, the english around that section coming from native speakers.

Literally couldn't understand a word of his Engrish at the start, Mari's Engrish was almost as bad but I least I could understand something about having to enter the country covertly. I was surprised by the sheer amount of stuff they managed to fit into the film, the amount of super action and quieter moments of character development was nicely balanced and the characters as a whole felt a lot less whiny/annoying/wooden.

Same as above.

As for your second point

That I can agree with! The events from the Tv series originally covered about 15 episodes. Plus say what, 20% was completely new content.

Was he as annoying in the second? I don't remember him annoying me as much there, but then there was an awful lot of stuff packed in to drown him out. Plus,

Kaiji coming onto him shut him up a couple of times ;)

Not as annoying definitely not, but he had his moments. As for the spoilered part, I only recall this one time, but that was exaggerated from a scene in the tv series. Shinji actually gave the same response in each.

It's amazing really; 2.0 is only a few minutes longer than the first film but as you say, they cram so much in there. Christ, the action in that movie is incredible. Unit 02's skydiving antics, its transformation in the final act, Unit 01 running faster than the speed of fucking sound, the LCL tsunami that follows shortly thereafter, the last angel competely tearing Tokyo III apart. It's just amazing scene after amazing scene.

The character-centric scenes were fantastic as well, like the whole cooking/dinner party subplot and the trip to the aquarium. The principal characters were rather more well-rounded than they were in the series too. Shinji wasn't always whining, Asuka wasn't obnoxious the whole time and Gendo wasn't a total bastard.

what with his physics-defying rescue of Rei at the end.

2.22 is 15minutes longer then 1.11. Thats an extra 1/6th?

The smashing the shit out of the geofront was mental, far beyond anything in EoE. The surface of Nerv HQ was completely obliterated! Made the two huge cranes repairing the point that Unit 01 crushed look rather pathetic :lol:

Second point:

This is interesting. Shinji was a bloody chick magnet! Asuka wasn't always treating him like shit, and actually wanted to make him happy. Rei got more of an actual personality, and Shinji got proper aggressive. On the other hand Asuka showed earlier signs of secretly being a mentalist before she tried not treating everyone like shit. I'm not sure there was enough to show Gendo wasn't a total bastard - he was much the same. Actually wanting to be involved with the dinner party was for me less to do with not being a bastard,. and more because it was Rei's suggestion. The only person who would otherwise get a positive reaction might have been Fuyutsuki

Watching the D-RAWS 1080p rip wasn't without its problems. The picture either froze up or distorted a few times, but that may just be a problem with my aging PC. God it looks good though. It's a beautiful piece of animation. The subtitles were pretty good, aside from the odd grammatical error and some timing issues. Like I said before, they're a definite improvement over previous efforts.

I didn't have any playback issues. As for the subs the grammatical errors were pretty minor (one misspelling aside, I didn't spot any issue), and I only noticed one line that was mistimed, but not enough to be a issue.

That is, until the song subtitles. But the songs were just weird to use in the first place.

Interestingly enough he doesn't say that once in 2.0!

He has a different line he says instead at one point.

So obviously I've just watched 2.22. I watched it with a friend, so we were talking about it after. A lot of the events were a pretty big surprise to both of us, the

Asuka/Touji switch probably being the biggest, but the entire set of events at the end being another. Gainax thought they were making a love story with Shinji's rescue of Rei.

. The level of violence and shock value of the battles, and the last mega scene in general make EoE look rather pathetic by comparison. I don't understand why the final shot of the movie came after the credits, that was really annoying considering it was a important plot point! Also, how was

Mari able to sync with Unit 02? By the franchises own rule, that would suggest she's not human as we know Unit 02 should contain the soul of Asuka's mother. But then, judging the movies based on the original continuity may not be a good idea...

Random thing I noticed:

The marine whatsit was designed with a Tree of Life Motiff

. Apparently the

song during Mari's opening scene is quite an old one that would be unusual for someone so young to know, nevermind sing

Parallel Works 2! I'm not sure whether this is all of them but it's all that I could find.

[yt]EscVte0V-iY[/yt]

[yt]j16GkZ-KOTI[/yt]

[yt]mfZoDqX2wV0[/yt]

[yt]OXHVAgPP5us[/yt]

[yt]OgXxaCVxSAU[/yt]

[yt]OnjQ3DyipWQ[/yt]

[yt]dzx_yijgx3c[/yt]

It's a mixed bunch. I prefer the first few; the second in particular. The sixth is a bit :facepalm:

It's about time, Dandy! :lol:

I'll have to watch the 3.0 preview again, I don't remember any of that. But then I was concentrating on certain images more then others I guess

Most of what I picked out was in Misato's dialogue rather than the images themselves. However, it seems the part I mentioned about NERV personnel being imprisoned may have been slightly misleading. Some translations have toned down the language a little, describing them as detained rather than incarcerated. It’s a slight, but possibly significant, distinction.

Actually I didn't think it was that bad.

Obviously his voice actor has a lack of experience with english, but it seemed a reasonable attempt from someone having to bullshit his way through. A lack of 'natural' pronunciation rather then what he was saying. Compare to say, the english around that section coming from native speakers.

I dunno, man. Even with subtitles, I can barely make out what Kaji’s saying, not that it actually bothers me. I just find it quite funny. The actress who plays Mari does a far better job by comparison. I didn't have a problem understanding her at all.

I'm not sure there was enough to show Gendo wasn't a total bastard - he was much the same. Actually wanting to be involved with the dinner party was for me less to do with not being a bastard,. and more because it was Rei's suggestion.

I don't remember Gendo doing a single nice thing in the series, but then you've watched it more recently than I so perhaps you can correct me on that. In the film's graveyard scene, he doesn't seem quite as cold and heartless as he did in the TV version, and after the destruction of the 8th angel, he actually gives Shinji a genuine compliment! When it comes to the dinner party, he only accepts Rei's invitation after he remembers Yui asking him to take care of Shinji. It's not much but I think it demonstrates a slight softening of his personality.

I didn't have any playback issues. As for the subs the grammatical errors were pretty minor (one misspelling aside, I didn't spot any issue), and I only noticed one line that was mistimed, but not enough to be a issue.

That is, until the song subtitles. But the songs were just weird to use in the first place.

I swear I've somehow downloaded completely different files to everyone else, but hey, it's not important. Did you not like the songs? I thought they were fantastic, although I must admit that Tsubasa Wo Kudasai, the song from the film's climax, took a while to grow on me. Still, I think it has an appropriately 'WTF?' quality to it, much like Komm, Süsser Tod from EoE.

Also, how was

Mari able to sync with Unit 02? By the franchises own rule, that would suggest she's not human as we know Unit 02 should contain the soul of Asuka's mother. But then, judging the movies based on the original continuity may not be a good idea...

I think your suggestion that she's not human seems pretty likely. In many ways, she does seem like a female version of Kaworu.

I've been wondering whether each Eva still contains the soul of its pilot's mother. On the one hand, Shinji says that being in the cockpit of Unit 01 reminds him of his mother. On the other hand, Asuka is chosen to pilot Unit 03, which wouldn't make much sense if she's incapable of synching with it, although we never get to find out if she can or not. (I wouldn't be all that surprised if it was just a deliberate ploy of SEELE's in order to get their hands on a pilot who's been contaminated by an angel.)

I think the addition of Mari to the cast is a really interesting one. I recently saw her described as a Mary Sue-style character which meant nothing to me at the time, so I read the relevant entry on TV Tropes.

The name "Mary Sue" comes from the 1974 Star Trek fanfic "A Trekkie's Tale". Originally written as a parody of the standard Self Insert Fic of the time (as opposed to any particular traits), the name was quickly adopted by the Star Trek fanfiction community. Its original meaning mostly held that it was an Always Female Author Avatar, regardless of character role or perceived quality. Often, the characters would get in a relationship with either Kirk or Spock, turn out to have a familial bond with a crew member, be a Half Human Hybrid masquerading as a human, and die in a graceful, beautiful way to reinforce that the character was Too Good For This Sinful Earth. (Or space, as the case may be.)

The prototypical Mary Sue is an original female character in a fanfic who obviously serves as an idealized version of the author mainly for the purpose of Wish Fulfillment. She's exotically beautiful, often having an unusual hair or eye color, and has a similarly cool and exotic name. She's exceptionally talented in an implausibly wide variety of areas, and may possess skills that are rare or nonexistent in the canon setting. She also lacks any realistic, or at least story-relevant, character flaws — either that or her "flaws" are obviously meant to be endearing.

In other words, the term "Mary Sue" is generally slapped on a character who is important in the story, possesses unusual physical traits, and has an irrelevantly over-skilled or over-idealized nature.

Granted, she doesn't fit the description all that well, but then there appears to be a great deal of debate over what precisely constitutes the Mary Sue archetype. Also, she's called Mari, which isn't entirely dissimilar to Mary.

Honestly, I'm not sure I buy it, but it's a thought-provoking idea nevertheless, plus I find it amusing that Anno might be throwing in a character as an elaborate and obscure Star Trek reference, or perhaps some kind of (potentially scathing) commentary on fandom.

:facepalm:

I always wondered why anyone lives in Tokyo III. They even have a section of 2.0 showing everyday civilian life, like a normal city. But it regularly comes under attack by superpowered beings and everyone has to evacuate. Sections of the city and surrounds regularly get destroyed by both sides. The city is basically the number one target because of the geofront. Wouldn't it be easier to just live elsewhere and let it just be a sort of military base?

I saw this yesterday and i had to do a quick double check on the copy of 2.22 i downloaded, and it was bloody there.

th_1275206198776.jpg

Is it really? Try as I might, I can't see it.

I always wondered why anyone lives in Tokyo III. They even have a section of 2.0 showing everyday civilian life, like a normal city. But it regularly comes under attack by superpowered beings and everyone has to evacuate. Sections of the city and surrounds regularly get destroyed by both sides. The city is basically the number one target because of the geofront. Wouldn't it be easier to just live elsewhere and let it just be a sort of military base?

Shhh! You're not supposed to mention that. I guess that since it's a brand new city, it would offer a much higher quality of life than other places post-second impact so people would probably flock to it. You're right though, it is a bit strange.

So, is anyone else watching Mayoi Neko Overrun? Started out as as a pretty generic harem comedy (with a few awesomely WTF moments, like the ping-pong game in ep4), but somewhere along the line, someone apparently decided that that was entirely too boring.

So, ep7 was, completely out of nowhere, the final episode of a super robot show.

And now ep8 is, well, Saki. With Jenga.

2lxrb9.jpg

keeosm.jpg

4rojk3.jpg

2f0azwm.jpg

alma1l.jpg

The "idea" is that its a fortified city able to defend itself and it's population. In practice of course, thats only partially true (destroying half the city just from running is hardly defending it). What I don't understand is why they insist on using weapons they know won't work, that create much of that damage and piss money down the drain. Also much of the population works for Nerv in some capacity, so don't really have the option.

But Hakone deserves better then being trashed every week :blink:

It's about time, Dandy! :blink:

Most of what I picked out was in Misato's dialogue rather than the images themselves. However, it seems the part I mentioned about NERV personnel being imprisoned may have been slightly misleading. Some translations have toned down the language a little, describing them as detained rather than incarcerated. It’s a slight, but possibly significant, distinction.

The sub I have says

Sequestered

which I had to look up because it's hardly a common word.

That would suggest they legged it (well, HQ had just been pretty totalled). But it can also suggest they were forced to leave or taken possesion of.

Essentially, the japanese line might be causing some confusion. I will try and get another translation of the japanese line

I don't remember Gendo doing a single nice thing in the series, but then you've watched it more recently than I so perhaps you can correct me on that. In the film's graveyard scene, he doesn't seem quite as cold and heartless as he did in the TV version, and after the destruction of the 8th angel, he actually gives Shinji a genuine compliment! When it comes to the dinner party, he only accepts Rei's invitation after he remembers Yui asking him to take care of Shinji. It's not much but I think it demonstrates a slight softening of his personality.

That scene seems more or less the same, although it was some probably a couple of months ago I watched that scene in the series. It was one of the rare times they spoke in that way. I'm also sure a similar thing happened with the second scene you mention. Your third point is sort of what I was getting at. After all, we all know why he sees that. SO it was interesting, but I don't think he showed a lot of his other side. After all, this was all before

the Asuka incident

I swear I've somehow downloaded completely different files to everyone else, but hey, it's not important. Did you not like the songs? I thought they were fantastic, although I must admit that Tsubasa Wo Kudasai, the song from the film's climax, took a while to grow on me. Still, I think it has an appropriately 'WTF?' quality to it, much like Komm, Süsser Tod from EoE.

I downloaded the raw mp4 version of D-Raws as I wanted the option of sub files to use, but the video is encoded in the same way.

The two songs (not including Mari's) seemed massively out of place. It wasn't in keeping with the series. The thing with Komm Susser Tod is that the structure and progression of the song corresponds to the action. It starts as one voice speaking alone, then as Instrumentality progresses, the tempo and vopices start increasing until the end of the song is one big celebration as the process completes. On the first listen, the songs don't seem to have this relationship. The song during the Asuka incident is the complete opposite of whats going on for a start.

I think your suggestion that she's not human seems pretty likely. In many ways, she does seem like a female version of Kaworu.

I've been wondering whether each Eva still contains the soul of its pilot's mother. On the one hand, Shinji says that being in the cockpit of Unit 01 reminds him of his mother. On the other hand, Asuka is chosen to pilot Unit 03, which wouldn't make much sense if she's incapable of synching with it, although we never get to find out if she can or not. (I wouldn't be all that surprised if it was just a deliberate ploy of SEELE's in order to get their hands on a pilot who's been contaminated by an angel.)

Yes, this is why I added the part about relying on the original continuity.

We know unit 01 is still the same, we don't know if unit 3 had a similar thing in either continuity. Gendo and Fuyutsuki also converse about the dangers of putting Rei in 01. With Asuka and Unit 03, Misato made the choice from the available pilots. Not only does Misato mention this (with Kaji I think), but Asuka thanks Misato for the opportunity. I think Seele may have made the call to send Unit 03 to Japan, (Gendo didn't seem to have any input), but the pilot choice could have been Shinji or someone "enlisted" like Touji. In the TV continuity I would not have been surprised for them to have known it was infected or for them to have deliberately done so. But in the Rebuild continuity, Gendo isn't pissing off Seele.

The sub I have says

Sequestered

which I had to look up because it's hardly a common word.

That would suggest they legged it (well, HQ had just been pretty totalled). But it can also suggest they were forced to leave or taken possesion of.

Essentially, the japanese line might be causing some confusion. I will try and get another translation of the japanese line

I think the cinema print (which is an official print kept in Japan by the Japan Foundation for lending out to foreign showings) had detained.

I think the cinema print (which is an official print kept in Japan by the Japan Foundation for lending out to foreign showings) had detained.

I did wonder how that sort of thing was organised! Later I'll try and get the japanese and ask a friend for their view.

So, is anyone else watching Mayoi Neko Overrun? Started out as as a pretty generic harem comedy (with a few awesomely WTF moments, like the ping-pong game in ep4), but somewhere along the line, someone apparently decided that that was entirely too boring.

So, ep7 was, completely out of nowhere, the final episode of a super robot show.

And now ep8 is, well, Saki. With Jenga.

Is it worth a look in? I thought it was going to being just as vapid as To Love RU (considering the same manga writer is doing the novel>manga adaptation) but if it's actually entertaining it might be worth a peek.

Is it worth a look in? I thought it was going to being just as vapid as To Love RU (considering the same manga writer is doing the novel>manga adaptation) but if it's actually entertaining it might be worth a peek.

It's... odd. They've been having a different director for each episode (including the actual director of Saki for that parody episode), so it's kinda schizophrenic. Some episodes are fairly standard harem rom-com, some are standard harem comedy situations done in a completely insane way (see ep4), and some are, well, see my previous post.