IGNORED

Anime

Sekiro

Supposedly there's a new Season of Gundam Seed this october :huh:

OH.MY.GOD.

OH.MY.GOD.

ETC...

The 5 minute OVA, After Phase, hinted that there were still things to be sorted out, but a new series? Oh, fuck me. In the arse. At high speed.

Oh, fuck me. In the arse. At high speed

Maybe later...

Oh, I just got around to watching the first five episodes of Berzerk. Hmm.

Impressions so far: bland characters, unimpressive fight scenes and so-far predictable plot (taking a wild guess - Casca and Guts are going to get into a relationship, mr. pissed off merc is going to try and assassinate Casca and die trying, and Griffith's going to betray the mercenary band leaving only Guts alive (and maybe Casca?) and then overthrow the king? Well, admittedly the overthrowing part was given away in the first episode, but hey...). Oh, and the music is almost entirely rubbish, never seeming to fit in with the scenes at all.

Damn, that's the second fantasy-based series that's left me completely underwhelmed (the first was Escaflowne).

See, here's your problem: you need to watch an entire series before you can offer an informed opinion of it, dunderheed.

I don't see how you could possibly benefit from flying in the face of popular opinion as well as critical opinion: pretty much everyone who's seen this loves it - are they wrong? No and personal preference aside, I'd have thought a reviewer such as yourself understood the value of objectivity.

And I think anyone could've predicted the plot if they'd read it beforehand. There are a million stories that turn out exactly how you expect - in the end. It's what happens inbetween that matters, a mechanic you've neglected to take into account.

Touché.

And as for having bland characters - again, you're bound to say that if you've only watched upto episode 5 - way to let them develop! People would say the same of Evangelion if they'd only watched upto ep 5 ;)

unimpressive fight scenes: erm, if you were expecting a decent animation standard from a 1997 anime series, then you're obviously going to be disappointed. The aesthetic of the show takes second place to the character development - anyone who's watched the entire series will tell you as much. Name one anime series from that period or before apart from the budget-busting NGE, that even comes close to meetsing todays standards of animation (which you appear to be judging Berserk by).

As for the music, the Berserk soundtrack is by far and one of the best I've heard, sharing the platform with the likes of Initial D, GiTs, Patlabor and Lain. Musical taste is generally a more subjective doo, but you still fall short with your appraisal of the musics intergration into the anime itself. I don't understand why you'd say the music doesn't fit - it fits perfectly.

Tip: reviewers require objectivity. Objectivity requires attention to detail: attention to detail requires you take in media in its entirety before jumping to conclusions.

From 5 eps, the best you could bring to the table is a preview, and a preview is ultimately only a small part of the finished package - previews by their very nature reserve judgement and only bring to the table factual ascertions.

A first impression is all very well and good, but judging by your last sentence, you've already made up your mind ;)

I found Firefly and Evangelion's characters to be fantastic from the first episode- it's a common miconception that a series' characters have to somehow grow before they can be any good. They should start off engaging and grow from there...

I suppose that's where we'll have to agree to disagree, because there was nothing endearing or engaging about the characters in EVA until the 10th or so episode.

And it isn't a common misconception, because that would imply that there's only one method by which to develop a character.

Which seems rather one dimensional tbh.

There are plenty of ways to develop a character, but if they're boring to start off with and have to be developed to something interesting, you've clearly gone wrong somewhere. They should, at the very least, be intriguingly undescribed to start off with. A fair few of NGE's characters were boring to start off with and eventually became more than cardboard cut-outs as the plot required it, but a fair few were interesting with hints at the greater depths which would be uncovered as the series went on. The latter is a superior way of doing things, because you don't get bored to tears by the first few episodes.

Precisely. But then, Berserks characters aren't exactly dull for the first 5 eps either: the structure is such that you're given a ton of questions in the first episode, which the next 24 episodes endeavour to answer. It's obvious how things turn out because the first episode shows you, but the means by which it comes to this conclusion is where the bulk of the show lies.

It just seems rather foolish to say Berserk is disappointing after 5 eps because you know where it's going when the first ep makes it clear how things turn out

Oh, yeah, there's no doubting that his predictions are probably a bit premature and a little irrelevant- for example in Evangelion major plot events are heavily signposted, but it's seeing them unfold which is fun, not being surprised by them.

They were heavily signposted, you're right, but then it also depends on which of the outcomes you're talking about - I for one thought the End Of Eva did a great deal more justice to the series hard work than the series end.

Though in an odd sort of way, i can appreciate the series end. You can imagine that at the end, this is exactly the kind of inquisition Shinji would have gone through.

But the series ending was still disappointing and maudlin. End of Eva was just a fantastically dramatic, epic and bittersweet ending

I've only actually seen End of Eva part 1 myself... and it was superb. I can't imagine the sort of ending you describe matching it. Didn't the series' first ending arise because of budget things, and End of Eva was green-lighted later?

See, here's your problem: you need to watch an entire series before you can offer an informed opinion of it, dunderheed.

I'm intending to watch the rest of the series at a later date. I just tend to expect a series to interest me in some way after 2 hours+ of viewing...

And I think anyone could've predicted the plot if they'd read it beforehand. There are a million stories that turn out exactly how you expect - in the end. It's what happens inbetween that matters, a mechanic you've neglected to take into account.

Eh? I haven't actually read the plot, funnily enough. Tends to spoil series afaik (though I'm assuming now that I was correct in my assumptions then?). The latter point is true though - but as I stated I haven't really found the storyline interesting anyhow.

And as for having bland characters - again, you're bound to say that if you've only watched upto episode 5 - way to let them develop! People would say the same of Evangelion if they'd only watched upto ep 5  ;)

I found the characters from Eva interesting at the start... the inverse of what you're suggesting actually (Shinji really started to grate after about 10 eps, Asuka and Rei too)

unimpressive fight scenes: erm, if you were expecting a decent animation standard from a 1997 anime series, then you're obviously going to be disappointed. The aesthetic of the show takes second place to the character development - anyone who's watched the entire series will tell you as much. Name one anime series from that period or before apart from the budget-busting NGE, that even comes close to meetsing todays standards of animation (which you appear to be judging Berserk by).

Well, Vision of Escaflowne funnily enough...

As for the music, the Berserk soundtrack is by far and one of the best I've heard, sharing the platform with the likes of Initial D, GiTs, Patlabor and Lain. Musical taste is generally a more subjective doo, but you still fall short with your appraisal of the musics intergration into the anime itself. I don't understand why you'd say the music doesn't fit - it fits perfectly.

Because I thought it was completely out of place? Musical taste shouldn't come into it, as I enjoy scores regardless of the genre, but - for whatever reason - the music seemed to clash with the scenes being shown to my ears/eyes.

Tip: reviewers require objectivity. Objectivity requires attention to detail: attention to detail requires you take in media in its entirety before jumping to conclusions.

...which is why I'm posting this on a forum, not reviewing it :lol:

From 5 eps, the best you could bring to the table is a preview, and a preview is ultimately only a small part of the finished package - previews by their very nature reserve judgement and only bring to the table factual ascertions.

Again, see above. I'm just posting my observations as I go through, not previewing or reviewing it. Expect more when I get to episode 10 ;)

A first impression is all very well and good, but judging by your last sentence, you've already made up your mind  ;)

Eh, perhaps it was a little overreactive but I do have trouble seeing how it can be improved much without a serious change of tack. Or by killing off Guts (who's currently on track for the runners up position in the "Hiro Yui's Boring Anime Characters" awards ceremony :P), which obviously isn't oing to happen any time soon :ph34r:

There's never been any specific truth to the rumour that Gainax were underfunded in the end, though it's widely touted as the reason why Eva ended they way it did. He's never said that there was a budget problem, but being honest, you can't help but draw that conclusion from the last two eps.

The new ending came to be born because Hideaki Anno got death threats from angry fans demanding he come up with a better ending. There's even a clip in EoE, a very quick clip, of some of the death threats he received - nice.

I'm intending to watch the rest of the series at a later date. I just tend to expect a series to interest me in some way after 2 hours+ of viewing...

You don't like GitS: SAC. DEAD INSIDE.

Eh? I haven't actually read the plot, funnily enough. Tends to spoil series afaik (though I'm assuming now that I was correct in my assumptions then?). The latter point is true though - but as I stated I haven't really found the storyline interesting anyhow.

*Sigh*...It was made fairly obvious in the first episode how things turned out. Your ability to predict the ending falls flat on that basis.

I found the characters from Eva interesting at the start... the inverse of what you're suggesting actually (Shinji really started to grate after about 10 eps, Asuka and Rei too)

Shinji is the most annoying, selfish, self-abosrbed anime character ever. Anno is either a genius or he is himself annoying, selfish and self-abosrbed.

Well, Vision of Escaflowne funnily enough...

You're saying Vision of Escaflowne stands upto scrutiny in todays climate of Gits: SAC and Appleseed? Read my question, I never asked if Vision of Escaflowne was of good quality for 1997. Relatively speaking it was. But like any industry, there's a scale of budgeting in the anime industry, and Berserk was somewhere in the middle. It also had a post midnight slot in it's domestic market, due to the graphic violence, hence the investors were never too keen to pump a great deal of money into it knowing only the manga's fanbase were a dead cert to tune in.

Because I thought it was completely out of place? Musical taste shouldn't come into it, as I enjoy scores regardless of the genre, but - for whatever reason - the music seemed to clash with the scenes being shown to my ears/eyes.

A strong argument for that one, then.

...which is why I'm posting this on a forum, not reviewing it

Is there that much of a difference? Besides the fact you made no attempt to ackowledge that your view was only half formed, you have conceded that you were perhaps a little quick off the mark. Perhaps if you'd stated your intent to watch the entire thing from start to finish instead of implying you'd given up on it already, you might not have come under scrutiny.

Eh, perhaps it was a little overreactive but I do have trouble seeing how it can be improved much without a serious change of tack. Or by killing off Guts (who's currently on track for the runners up position in the "Hiro Yui's Boring Anime Characters" awards ceremony ;)), which obviously isn't oing to happen any time soon ;)

I'm not sure if there's a support group for this, let me consult the yellow pages....no.....no....the closest match appears to be floundering Psychics anonymous, which isn't far off :ph34r:

Oh, and seeing as you added that just as I wrote my first response...

1. Moi? Dead inside? Surely some mistake!

2...maybe the beginning had something to do with it, but the betraying of the mercs came purely from assumptions made based on, er, that bloke... the head of the mercs... name forgotten. Damn short-term memory...

3. Yes

4. Comparing any 1996 (for that is when it was made) series to a 2004 film seems a little unfair, but yes it still stands up today. While Berzerk is just pug-ugly (the character designs make me think of Street Fighter 2, and the action scenes - as mentioned - are rubbish. Though I do like the use of watercolor (styled?) images to end scenes.

5. I've never been much of one for analysing music, so I don't know why, but it just seems to clash to me. Not as bad as Dominion Tank Police's soundtrack or anything, but it still seems not to fit. It's just too... obtrusive.

6. Er, yes? I wouldn't comment on a series I'd just started watching if no one else had brought it up (otherwise this thread'd be full of comments on She - The Ultimate Weapon and One Piece) with a different opinion to mine. However, seeing as the show has received only praise so far, and I'd downloaded it because of this, I decided to make observations right away - after all, without alternative opinions forum's would be pretty pointless, no? ;)

7. Hush, you ;)

6. Er, yes? I wouldn't comment on a series I'd just started watching if no one else had brought it up (otherwise this thread'd be full of comments on She - The Ultimate Weapon and One Piece) with a different opinion to mine. However, seeing as the show has received only praise so far, and I'd downloaded it because of this, I decided to make observations right away - after all, without alternative opinions forum's would be pretty pointless, no?

True, but then wouldn't it be equally as dull if people didn't take you to task on your opinion and attempt to show you the error of your ways?

All I'm saying is you're writing it off far too quickly, though from what you've already said you seem to have made up your mind. We're not still stuck in the early 90's where excessive gore and violence are enough to satiate our appetite, we need intelligent, entertaining anime.

Don't paint Berserk with that brush. Berserk is far less about the violence and far more about the friendship between Guts and Griffiths. And that's the key point right there: I defy you to say that after watching the entire series, you don't find the character of Griffiths to be one of the most well rounded, human Villains in anime/manga history. With the anime in mind, it's going to be interesting reading the Manga, just to see how Guts copes with the betrayal.

I still stand by my earlier praise of Berserk. Up there with the best anime available, and personally my favourite anime series to date.

Sorry, I wasn't meaning to criticise you taking me to task, I didn't expect people to just read what I'd read and go "yes, he's right, and I shall agree with everything he says!" ;)

And again, I'll post again after 10 eps if my opinion changes, and again if and when I watch the whole series.

I didn't expect people to just read what I'd read and go "yes, he's right, and I shall agree with everything he says!"
In-depth anime reviews, faqs and features. All at I, Otaku. Try it, you might just like it...

When you've got this sig, people are going to assume your opinion carries more weight than your average anime fan, who simply doesn't have the time or financial means to watch every anime ever.

Reviewers are in a far better position to hand out objective praise/criticism, so believe it or not, maybe your words do carry a little more weight than others.

But then, you already knew that ;)

Actually, I never really thought of that.

(Oh, and I've watched episodes 6-8 now. Still finding it a bit too cliched, but am starting to enjoy the OTT 'bad guys' a bit more.

I'm also thinking that Griffith would make a great gay character, what with the bishou looks and the way he acts around Guts (ooh, lets have a waterfight while I'm naked!), and it's a pity he's obviously got the hots for the princess :lol:

Wonder who the poison arrow's going to end up hitting though..?

They were heavily signposted, you're right, but then it also depends on which of the outcomes you're talking about - I for one thought the End Of Eva did a great deal more justice to the series hard work than the series end.

Though in an odd sort of way, i can appreciate the series end. You can imagine that at the end, this is exactly the kind of inquisition Shinji would have gone through.

But the series ending was still disappointing and maudlin. End of Eva was just a fantastically dramatic, epic and bittersweet ending

But it didn't end. Evangelion 2, anyone?

There's never been any specific truth to the rumour that Gainax were underfunded in the end, though it's widely touted as the reason why Eva ended they way it did. He's never said that there was a budget problem, but being honest, you can't help but draw that conclusion from the last two eps.

The new ending came to be born because Hideaki Anno got death threats from angry fans demanding he come up with a better ending. There's even a clip in EoE, a very quick clip, of some of the death threats he received - nice.

It's patently obvious though - it's happened on loads of Gainax animes. I'm led to believe that Gunbuster had its final episode in black and white. And as Kare Kano got to it's end it began to become more and more obvious there was no money.

I really like Kare Kano at the beginning, it was the best thing I'd seen in ages, but as the series went on and it became cheaper and cheaper it really began to annoy me. Episodes started having longer and longer "previously" sequences at the beginning (in fact they managed to have a total of two whole episodes being "recap" episodes), constant reuse of still images and establishing shots so that you recognised each one from having seen them a million times already. And "arty" episodes so that they could get away without having any proper animation for a whole episode. One episode was made entirely on construction paper. The final episode (which was such an anticlimax, barely anything happens) was basically just the fucking animatic, replete with written comments in the margins.

I really like a lot of Gainax's stuff, their first production, Wings of Honnemaise, was fantastic. I personally can't stand shitty Eva (not for its money problems, but for its shitness), but they've still done lots of great stuff. But too often they are ruined by their inablility to budget properly. Thankfully, with FLCL and Magical Shopping District Abenobashi (which are both great) it looks like those days are over.

But it didn't end. Evangelion 2, anyone?

God I hope not. And for that matter, SPOILER

How the hell will they continue the story when everybody but the whinge kid and his would-be girlfriend (who he wanks over, saves and then tries to throttle to death, of course) are dead?

Just a note [i'm a bit busy to commit to any discussives at the mo, but I'm reading still! Keep it up people.]:

Can people please follow Comrade's method of marking/hiding spoilers?

I wouldn't like people looking in to see what's hot in the Anime world, only to have something as pedestrian as Eva spoilt for them :lol:

Actually, I never really thought of that.

(Oh, and I've watched episodes 6-8 now. Still finding it a bit too cliched, but am starting to enjoy the OTT 'bad guys' a bit more.

I'm also thinking that Griffith would make a great gay character, what with the bishou looks and the way he acts around Guts (ooh, lets have a waterfight while I'm naked!), and it's a pity he's obviously got the hots for the princess :lol:

Wonder who the poison arrow's going to end up hitting though..?

Actually, Griffith is almost non-sexual. He doesn't seem to have any sexual desires at all. Any sex he may have is only to further his dream. I don't think he's either homosexual or heterosexual.

As for Berserk being ugly. It's MEANT to be that way, keep watching and reading and you'll find Berserk is anything but a fairytale. The ugliness is inherent to it's epicness.

God I hope not. And for that matter, SPOILER

How the hell will they continue the story when everybody but the whinge kid and his would-be girlfriend (who he wanks over, saves and then tries to throttle to death, of course) are dead?

Ah, but it's not what you think. Evangelion 2 is on sale right now, in Japan.

For PS2. :lol:

Weeell, just got around to watching the rest of She - The Ultimate Weapon (aka Saishuu Heiki Kanojo, aka SaiKano), so I'm going to write a brief, er, review. Ish.

Bearing in mind I'd only seen the first four episodes up till now, the fact I just sat and watched episodes 5 - 13 in one go should show that I liked it.

I have never, ever, seen a television series or movie that has been as gut-wrenching as this was. Beautiful, funny and painfully sad, if it wasn't for Haibane Renmei I'd rate this as the greatest anime produced in the last five years at least.

Just, well, wow. Gonzo done good!

Probably not one for manic depressives though...

(I'll right something better when I'm fully awake)

Weeell, just got around to watching the rest of She - The Ultimate Weapon (aka Saishuu Heiki Kanojo), so I'm going to write a brief, er, review. Ish.

Bearing in mind I'd only seen the first four episodes up till now, the fact I just sat and watched episodes 5 - 13 in one go should show that I liked it.

I have never, ever, seen a television series or movie that has been as gut-wrenching as this was. Beautiful, funny and painfully sad, if it wasn't for Haibane Renmei I'd rate this as the greatest anime produced in the last five years at least.

Just, well, wow. Gonzo done good!

Probably not one for manic depressives though...

(I'll right something better when I'm fully awake)

Gonzo? Good? Get the hell outta heerrreee...

Ok, so LastEXILE was great, but ehh...