IGNORED

Anime

Sekiro

Introduced my son to Akira (the movie) yesterday, as he’s big on anime right now. 

His admission fee was me going full Kermode throughout, reminding him how influential it was, pointing out scenes that have influenced other films, banging on about the quality of the hand-drawn animation, and trying to get him to understand what it felt like as a 16-year-old in the early 90s, having no idea ‘adult’ cartoons existed, and seeing an advert for this in Empire magazine and buying it on VHS and have my mind blown. 

Despite that, he still really liked it. 

If I had someone going on about that throughout any film I'd have trouble enjoying it to be honest.

Spoiler

It's why I've had to tell myself off for talking through film during lockdown. In my house. Alone.

On 03/05/2021 at 12:25, dug said:

10 episodes into JoJo, and while initially I wasn't that impressed, it has gone up several notches in my estimation with the last episode or two.

In episode 9 I was really not expecting 

Reveal hidden contents

The main character to be killed off! And then for it to jump forward fifty years and carry on with his grandson as the new protagonist. And for the new protagonist to meet the new antagonist and immediately blast the fuck out of him with a Tommy gun :lol:

I instantly like Joseph Joestar much more than Jonathan.

I expect I'll speed through the series at a much quicker rate now.

You mean you weren't already convinced by... 

Spoiler

The most dangerous street in London, Ogre Street!! 

...? 

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve just started watching JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure. Fucking hell, it’s mental and by god, the English dub is almost as bad as everyone’s haircut. So, so awful. Such an ugly show. 

I’m only watching it because I love Giorno’s theme which I’ve heard loads despite having no idea who Giorno is :lol:

Blimey, just watched the bit where JoJo and Dio fall into the fire. :lol: how tall was that house all of a sudden? How many times did JoJo fall into the fire only to suddenly only be a few feet below Dio? Fucking mental. 

I'm obsessed with the way they draw shadows on the characters in the first two story arcs of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure. Like they just draw straight lines with a ruler and shade everything on one side of the line. It's an oddly stylish, minimal touch for a series that's otherwise completely lacking in restraint.

Also, I finished watching the Battle Tendency arc a few weeks ago. One of the most deeply strange things I've ever seen. JoJo recreates that feeling of catching the last 30 minutes of some random Manga Video licensed OAV on Channel 4 in the mid 90s and having no frame of reference or possible hope of understanding what you're seeing. There's something genuinely magical about it. I'm halfway through Stardust Crusaders now which despite having a more elaborate premise behind the fight scenes and being generally over the top hasn't reached the same surreal heights yet.

10 hours ago, Protocol Penguin said:

Mental? You ain’t seen nothing yet. :lol: I started watching JoJo last December and I’ve reached the fourth arc, and honestly, the series never ceases to confound.

Man got ripped in half but still had enough life left in him to go on a 5 minute monologue. :lol:

Why is all the anime on Netflix almost always unmitigated shite? That High Rise one sounded like an interesting premise, but yeeeeesh it's some tropey, boring stupid bollocks. Had to turn it off.

• 4 weeks later...

All I can see is they've added three of the original movies on there? I've watched them all years ago and remember being quite underwhelmed by Char's Counter Attack considering people think that was one of the best movies of UC-79.

Iron Blooded Orphans is on there still, and I didn't mind it but make sure you watch it subbed as they really miss some important shit in the dubbing. 

After watching Kenshin again, I wish they did a remake and finally animate the Kytoto Arc. I doubt it happen with the issues surrounding the author, strangely not affecting him too much in Japan. But love to see it get the Hunter X Hunter treatment.

1 hour ago, Arn X Treme said:

I found the Manga got boring really quickly!

I'll still watch it till all the cool kids keep telling me how they were "into it from the manga" and then ill stop. 

They need to start animating Solo Levelling & Kaiju 8!

Arn, did you watch Jujutsu, and what were you're impressions?. Everyone is raving about this, only watched 5 episodes but found it overhyped, reminds me alot of Bleach which I didn't take to.

1 hour ago, Arn X Treme said:

I found the Manga got boring really quickly!

I'll still watch it till all the cool kids keep telling me how they were "into it from the manga" and then ill stop. 

They need to start animating Solo Levelling & Kaiju 8!

I was bored by the manga quickly too, Kaiju 8 is awesome though.

11 minutes ago, yakumo said:

Arn, did you watch Jujutsu, and what were you're impressions?. Everyone is raving about this, only watched 5 episodes but found it overhyped, reminds me alot of Bleach which I didn't take to.

Jujutsu is so generic it hurts, but it seems that kind of manga/anime is very popular these days, even though it’s been a million times before and usually better.