Anime

Sekiro

Part of the fun is noticing the bits they’ve kept in and what they’ve changed, and with what they have changed, seeing whether it still is aligned with character motivations and storytelling themes etc., and if not, why could that be.

43 minutes ago, Benny said:

That's actually piqued my interest. As I've already watched the series and EoE, I would have seen little point in watching a condensed retelling, but if it's gone it's own way and done something different then that's enough for me to check them out, as I'd definitely rather watch something "new".

Oh, it's new alright. The first movie sticks very closely to the original series, then the following films just go off and do their own thing. 

Eva 3.0 +1.0 spoilerz

Spoiler

fuck you and your robots I'm going to live with the penguins

anyway, was pretty great, not a patch on EoE but nothing is.

Spoiler

One of the fighting game arenas / sound stages near the end should have been a giant jizz-covered hand 

the sheer number of pussy-mound shots is fucking pathetic though. State of anime, mate

Watched the last Eva film last night and it put a massive smile on my face.

Spoiler

Considering how brutally the content of Eva has reflected Hideaki Anno's personal wellbeing in the past, I came away from that film thinking "damn, dude must be in a pretty good place these days, good for him!"

Really enjoyed the film though. I feel like you got the full warts and all Eva experience from it; cool action sequences, mind-bending visuals, psychological interrogation of the characters, and a surprising amount of lore finally made explicit within the text of the show. And while it tied up things up surprisingly neatly, it wasn't so pat that the series lost any of its mystique, which is quite a fine line to tread.

On 13/08/2021 at 12:15, Triple A said:

Part of the fun is noticing the bits they’ve kept in and what they’ve changed, and with what they have changed, seeing whether it still is aligned with character motivations and storytelling themes etc., and if not, why could that be.

Shinji seems the same so far :lol:

3.0+1.01 was an absolutely fantastic ending. Really wonderful and wraps the whole series into one excellent whole piece. I kind of want to start at the beginning again and watch the whole series, EOE and the rebuilds as one, because they feel so complete as a whole. A wonderful ending to the series.

Welp, I've kind of enjoyed the last part, but it's honestly just complete and utter nonsense.

Spoiler

The last hour or so (before the actual end) just feels more like a videogame cutscene than Eva to be honest. It felt there were at least some layers to the end of the original series and EoE, but ultimately it's proving kind of weak.

I'm probably the wrong audience as I came to Evangelion very late and don't have any nostalgia for the series.

On 13/08/2021 at 16:57, Mr Combo Breaker said:

the sheer number of pussy-mound shots is fucking pathetic though. State of anime, mate

You can definitely see the art getting more thirsty as the years wore on in the series.

"Are you working late again, honey?" "Sorry, yeah, I have to get the shading right on this full screen shot of a skin-tight suit covering a teenagers arse"

I just started watching the Count of Monte Cristo anime that's on Prime. I'd heard it was a good one, and it's proving quite absorbing so far. The art style is incredible. (Slightly dated in terms of CG used but it's so stylised it doesn't really matter)

I also found that the Japanese voice actor for the Count also does Sol Badguy in Guilty Gear, which had been bugging me for a while where I had heard his voice before, and it was literally a game that had just come out that I'd been playing.