IGNORED

Anime

Sekiro

Berserk, RahXephon, Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi and Azumanga Daioh

Berserk - yes

RahXephon - very poor, long winded EVA rip off

Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi - its gainax so its ok, but it turns out to be quite poor

Azumanga Daioh - not bad

get berserk finished with first in my opinion. I think I'm going to wait and get the newest Gainax sensation - an ugly and beautiful world (or summat like that)

gainax have gone off on one over the last two years, from EVA, to KARE KANO, then to FLCL and ABENOBASHI, but this new series promises quality

Gainax have gone off on one over the last two years, from EVA, to KARE KANO, then to FLCL and ABENOBASHI, but this new series promises quality

True dat: from good, [haven't seen Kare Kano], to brilliant to good again.

I know nothing about their upcoming series, but I've yet to see them match Gunbuster (though I'm hoping Kare Kano [short for Kareshi Kanojo isn't it?] will make up for this when I get round to, er, getting it)

Not sure what you meant by 'the last two years' though, considering Abenobashi - the most recent of those titles mentioned - was released in 2001 ;)

check a dis

DEAD INSIDE

no CAT, makes you feel dead inside :D

Did'nt realise Abenobashi was that old. I've got gunbuster around now, and I really wanna watch it. Another Anno special.

Kare Kano rocks - and even though I am a bloke, and normally like blood and violence etc, this series really gets deep, heavy emotions and stuff, all psycholgical.

Just think of the psychological stuff in EVA and multiply that by 5 at least, thats KARE KANO, that does'nt mean its depressing, but iuts just sooo damn deep, theres no reason to feel dead inside :ph34r:

Speaking of Gunbuster...

There's a Gunbuster 2 out this year.

The GAiNAX Festival ~ 20th Anniversary ~ event took place yesterday. Moon Phase  states that the new work announced at the event was Top wo Nerae! 2 (ie Gunbuster 2). Further, the fan site states that this will be a six volume OVA, with volume 1 due out on 24 September 2004, directed by Tsurumaki Kazuya, character design by Sadamoto Yoshiyuki, Buster Machine mecha design by Izuna Yoshitsune, animation production by GAiNAX. Updated: the news is basically confirmed in this month's issue of Newtype (out in a few days' time), except that Izuna Yoshitsune will be responsible for the Buster Machine design, not all mecha designs (general mecha designs will be the responsibility of Ishigaki Junya and Koyama Shigeto) and release of volume 1 is simply stated to be in the (northern) autumn, with subsequent volumes being released every second month. Each episode will be 30 minutes long. Future visuals by okama. There'll be 3D CG modelling (hardly rare in today's anime). "Top wo Nerae! 2" is the tentative title of the OVA. Sadamoto's designs give this work more of a FLCL look - quite different (IMO) from that of the original Gunbuster. To be released by Bandai Visual.

Wonder how they're going to follow on from the first Gunbuster series though? Deal with the time between... er, the beginning of the last episode and the end of it? (Trying desperately not to spoil the show for any people who haven't seen it ;))

There's a Gunbuster 2 out this year.

awesome. Doubt it will have the magic of the first cus Anno ain't directing it, but Gainax is defintely the best anime studio in japan, so I'll be looking forward to the sequel.

now all we need is a fucking decent release of the 1st

do you mean the quality on the DVD release is that crap? I was pondering over whether to get it last night

Anyone else seen Tsukihime?

yeah, very good, fairly laid back take on the vampire animes out there. I liked the way it went with the relationship between the main characters. As always the ending was a bit of a let down, but all in all I liked it.

yep the uk gunbuster dvd is terrible... bad picture, poor menues, poor extras, hard subbs, subs cxhange from episode to episode in size shape and clolour... i think rememberthe translation difering as well from episode to episode... want region 1 release now.. damn you manga!!! lose the rights and get someone good to release it!!!

yep the uk gunbuster dvd is terrible... bad picture, poor menues, poor extras, hard subbs, subs cxhange from episode to episode in size shape and clolour... i think rememberthe translation difering as well from episode to episode... want region 1 release now.. damn you manga!!! lose the rights and get someone good to release it!!!

I thought Kiseki or someone released it over here?

I think I bought a few of their Robotech tapes about 5 years ago. Dire.

I thought Kiseki or someone released it over here?

Yeah thats right... in the usa manga own it.. theyve been promising a 2 disk set for about a year and a half now... but nothing have come of it :D...

I got the first robotech box too... your better of just getting the orignal uncut remastered Macross SDF from AnimEgo like i did...

But far from unwatchable, lets be honest here. For all it's faults there's next to nothing that truly impedes viewing.

Gunbuster 2 - OMFG :unsure:

sees pics :)

It looks too different but I won't write it off just yet.

About the R2 disc- it is shit but there will be a remastered dvd soon (I can't find the source for this but its true!). I hope it has all the omake on it!

Also I must express my dismay at the quality of the ninja scroll tv series. IMO it totally ruins what the movie was about. Could have been so much more.

Also if we're plugging manga look up Gunsmith cats- best action series ever!

Gunbuster 2 - OMFG :unsure:

sees pics :)

It looks too different but I won't write it off just yet.

About the R2 disc- it is shit but there will be a remastered dvd soon (I can't find the source for this but its true!). I hope it has all the omake on it!

Also I must express my dismay at the quality of the ninja scroll tv series. IMO it totally ruins what the movie was about. Could have been so much more.

What - the manga, or the anime?

What - the manga, or the anime?

Umm if your asking about gunsmith cats then the manga is by far superior. The OVA is good quality but the story is average, only see if you liked the manga. This is kenichi sonada's best work and much better than his current canon god stuff IMO.

I think most Manga is better than the Anime adaptions to be honest

True but I think its unfair to compare hundreds of volumes of manga to 1 ova or anime movie in most cases. Unless its like dragonball or naruto where they translate each chapter almost word for word and inevitably the quality suffers. As a rare example I think the evangelion anime is better even though the manga was created around the same time. Also Akira gets too much hate nowadays, of course the manga was better, it was five bloody books long. The movie went in another direction with a different ending and should be praised for it.

Also I must express my dismay at the quality of the ninja scroll tv series. IMO it totally ruins what the movie was about.

What, violence and rape?

What, violence and rape?

yeah.......but the movie did it better.

My main beef with it are the action scenes. (minor spoilers)

In the series Jubei is like a fucking god or something. In the first like 6 episodes all he does is swing his sword once and the guy is dead. This is a huge contrast to the movie where the fights take a lot more effort, skill and a lot of luck. The only people he kills solely by himself in the movie are gemma and the shadow guy.

Also in the movie the villians were genuinely weird ; snake lady, rapist rock dude. In the series if its not a rip of a movie character (frog lady) it's just over the top (huge wheeled giant dude). True I've only seen about half of this series but after what I've seen it can't get any better. Someone spoil the end so I can justify this.

yeah.......but the movie did it better.

My main beef with it are the action scenes. (minor spoilers)

In the series Jubei is like a fucking god or something. In the first like 6 episodes all he does is swing his sword once and the guy is dead. This is a huge contrast to the movie where the fights take a lot more effort, skill and a lot of luck. The only people he kills solely by himself in the movie are gemma and the shadow guy.

Also in the movie the villians were genuinely weird ; snake lady, rapist rock dude. In the series if its not a rip of a movie character (frog lady) it's just over the top (huge wheeled giant dude). True I've only seen about half of this series but after what I've seen it can't get any better. Someone spoil the end so I can justify this.

Seriously dude: shit vs shit on toast - either way I ain't eating either.

And frankly, at least the TV series is promising to go somewhere with its story, unlike the movie.

"You have been poisoned, thus you must rag a female ninja to be cured"

....****ing come off it. Really, I'm being serious here. Shit vs shit on toast.

Thank Q - The manga is great. It's a shame Kenichi Sonada decided to end its run though to work on Cannon God Exaxxion.

The anime is a standard affair really but it's nice to see Rally and May brought to life on the screen so to speak. The 'making of' documentary is interesting though and it's nice to see how the production team went about reseaching their stuff - characterisation adaptation, visuals, music, detail to weapons and cars, etc.

Glad you liked it. You can find the Riding Bean anime on dvd as well but it hasn't aged that well. It's cool to see Bean and Rally as he first envisaged them though.

Also I just finished thirty volumes of the Lone wolf and cub manga (finally). I encourage everyone to at least read one or two of them as they are classics.

Yea I have both Gunsmith Cats and Riding Bean on DVD ;)

Wonder how much the Gunsmith Cats comics go for? I collected them for a while and have complete runs of a few stories that were combined in the TPB's that were released. But since I have all the TPB's I ought to sell em off.