Brand New

Thread Owner

Brand New are fantastic. I've listened to their new album pretty much every day since I got it (a few months ago). It's a masterpiece of powerful rock choruses, genius lyrics and really affecting emotional stuff too. I get more out of it every time I hear it. I guess it's too early to judge, really, but I think this could be a genuinely classic album, or at least one of my all-time favourites.

As for QTTNOEN: I really like it and it has got a huge sound, but I think it's probably my least-favourite song on the album: the other tracks are more interesting and (to a certain extent) experimental.

They must surely release 'Okay I Believe You, But My Tommy Gun Don't' as their next single. It's both fantastic and radio-friendly, IMO.

Wow! Otherwise known as the chorus that flattened ten cities*

So, what do people think of this band? I've only heard this song and it's a good 'un.

*yes, I'm exaggerating, but it's still very, very good.

theyre a great live band...one of the best i've seen despite them not really being my kind of music. Go see them if you get the chance.

the support band when I saw them, straylightrun,were pretty sweet too.

www.straylightrun.com

check 'Existentialism on Prom Night' the hell out if you like Brand New.

never heard of them, can you give me any reference points?

Funeral For A Friend...y

Hmm... not so sure. I can see the comparison to Sic Transit Gloria and to their last album, but they are a lot less angry, screamy and punky on the rest of their new album (Deja Entendu).

I would say:

Rival Schools (but more tuneful)

Bright Eyes (especially the final track on DE)

Jimmy Eat World (but less pop)

Basically emo stuff, really.

Deja Entendu as an album I would compare to The Bends by Radiohead. Not because it sounds anything like it, but because it's got a similar mix of rock and acoustic, sing-along melody and experimentation.

(I've said experimenting twice in this thread, and I'm sure to be looked-down upon by Aphex Twin etc. fans for that because Brand New aren't experimental in that way, more in a taking-interesting-twists-on-songwriting kind of way)

theyre a great live band...one of the best i've seen despite them not really being my kind of music. Go see them if you get the chance.

the support band when I saw them, straylightrun,were pretty sweet too.

www.straylightrun.com

check 'Existentialism on Prom Night' the hell out if you like Brand New.

Straylight Run (guitarist and bassist from Taking Back Sunday after they split) are terrible. Like a poor mans Dashboard Confessional (who are also piss poor).

Brand New do what's expected live, not a standout band at all, but still good for a night out.

Met the singer (Jesse) before the Birmingham gig in Selfridges (Bullring), pretty cool guy, although I dwarfed him (he must be less than 5'5). Heh.

Rantin' James - FFAF? Err, how? No, seriously, I can't see any comparison there. :ph34r:

Brand New's first album is a lot more raw and 'punky', well worth checking out. Deja Entendu is very polished, and totally different, yet is one of my favourites of 2003.

• 2 weeks later...

Funeral For A Friend...y

Hmm... not so sure. I can see the comparison to Sic Transit Gloria and to their last album, but they are a lot less angry, screamy and punky on the rest of their new album (Deja Entendu).

I would say:

Rival Schools (but more tuneful)

Bright Eyes (especially the final track on DE)

Jimmy Eat World (but less pop)

Basically emo stuff, really.

Deja Entendu as an album I would compare to The Bends by Radiohead. Not because it sounds anything like it, but because it's got a similar mix of rock and acoustic, sing-along melody and experimentation.

(I've said experimenting twice in this thread, and I'm sure to be looked-down upon by Aphex Twin etc. fans for that because Brand New aren't experimental in that way, more in a taking-interesting-twists-on-songwriting kind of way)

Good assessment.

I'm not too keen on their first album but Deja Entendu is superb.

One of my favourite albums definitely. I am a huge fan of the band and their first album is very, very good too.

It is hard to pick a favourite song on Deja Entendu as they are all so brilliant but Guernica is probably a front runner.

Wow, threads on The Wrens, Weezer and Brand New - I really should check the music area of the forum more often.

Saw Brand New open for Finch last March, and was immediately impressed - particularly when Finch were so awful. Bought 'Your Favourite Weapon' at the gig, liked it, but didn't love it.

Got 'Deja Entendu' on import in July, and it has been my most played album since then. Its nice to hear an 'alternative' (I won't use the word 'emo') group who can have an occasional scream in their songs but still write songs with wit, intelligence and invention.

Favourites: 'Okay I Believe You, But My Tommy Gun Don't'; 'Me vs Maradonna vs Elvis' and 'Guernica'.

The best bit is I finally get to see them live again in two weeks, I'm 'cheesing' already!

E-X

PS - Peep the sig

\/

brand new are great .

i was gunna see them in january at the astoria but i coodnt get there because the snow had caused really bad traffic:'(

am i the onthy one that likes thursday, alkaline trio, the early november, and ffaf coz i cnt find ne1 else that likes em?

am i the onthy one that likes thursday, alkaline trio, the early november, and ffaf coz i cnt find ne1 else that likes em?

There's definitely people around here who like Thursday (or used to be anyway) ... I keep meaning to get something by them, but there have been too many similar bands recently taking my attention off them (check out Thrice, for instance)

Alkaline Trio: I like them. Well, I like their singles (Private Eye is surely one of the best pop-punk songs ever recorded) and a lot of their album tracks, but they do seem to have an awful lot of murky filler. Perhaps they should have recorded fewer albums of tighter material.

Early November: Never heard of them. What are they like?

FFAF: Um... yeah. Everyone around here seems to hate them. Something to do with them touring with Iron Maiden I think :lol: I like them, though, and did do long before they took over MTV etc. :D That said, I haven't listened to their album for ages: Brand New and Thrice are much better, to be honest. They're great live, though.

And, btw, I'd lose the txt speak. This isn't really that type of forum.

brand new are great .

i was gunna see them in january at the astoria but i coodnt get there because the snow had caused really bad traffic:'(

I'm a big fan of all of those bands!

As for Brand New, I don't know them that well but what I've heard is very good. Nothing THAT special though.

I love alkaline trio (see avatar)

I bought Deja Entendu seeing as I really liked Your Favorite Weapon, but it is very different. IMO The Quiet Thing that No-one Ever Knows is the best track as i prefer their more "punky" tracks. I think Your Favorite Weapon is the better album personally.

Brand New turned around from being a great 'pop-emo' band to an absolutely fantastic band. The songwriting and musicianship is some of the best I've heard in a long time.

Your Favourite Weapon is a very good album, but a lot more.. Well.. I'd say immature than Deja Entendu, which is one of my favourite albums of the last year.

The one thing that sets BN apart from a lot of other bands though is the darkness in the lyrics - On YFW it's especially noticeable as it's a complete juxtaposition to the sound of the music - comes across as genericore pop punkiness, but with lyrics such as "have another drink and drive yourself home, I hope their's ice on all the roads, and you can think of me when you forget your seatbelt, and again when your head goes through the windshield" you kinda get thrown off.

Anyway, I love 'em and I can't wait to see 'em (again) in Sheffield.

• 1 year later...

ah, an emo topic!

Brand New are cool...I got into them after I first heard 'Jude Law and a semester abroad' a few years ago. They are a great emo band, with some amazing lyrics and vocal work...

As for other bands...

Thusday are great, Thrice are great, The Early November are great, Hidden in Plain view are great, Senses Fail are great...

Check out

"The holidayPlan" if you want some awesome british emo hooks and incredible guitar riffs...

The Holiday Plan are fucking terrible, extremely generic, and piss poor though.  Saw them with Reuben and Septembre, both blew them away.

YOU LIE!

I WAS AT THAT EXACT SAME GIG...albeit in Oxford, and The Holiday Plan blew ME away!

Everyone get a hold of 'Everyday is winter'. IT IS THE BEST...

I thought you were from Canada? :)

I was in Wolverhampton for that gig, and they were so boring and eurgh.

Im not from Canada, but I live here...

I saw the gig last May...would that be right...

The first band's lead singer had long hair...

I LOVE TEH HOLIDAY PLAN!11!!1one~

Disco Stu - what took you so long?

(to hear Seventy Times 7)

"The holidayPlan" if you want some awesome british emo hooks and incredible guitar riffs...

Weren't they some sort of MTV2 Pop Idol group? I quite liked their first single in an not-that-great-but-with-lots-of-potential way until I found that out.

Anyway, the Brand New website (www.brandnewrock.com) currently says:

Under Construction

Stay tuned for a new site in the next few days...

Which has got me excited about third album news. It seems about the right time to me.

They're working on the new album. The lead singer was in hospital for a while for some sort of operation, and they have been recording. No new BN songs have appeared since the Quiet Things CDS B-Sides in Feb 2004.

"There's No I in Team" by Taking Back Sunday is the companion song to 70x7 and contains part of 70x7 in the background. Your Favourite Weapon is very pop punk compared to Deja Entendu - I like it but it's a very different album and I can see how you could like one but not the other. You'll probably like the two TBS albums if you like YFW.

Weren't they some sort of MTV2 Pop Idol group? I quite liked their first single in an not-that-great-but-with-lots-of-potential way until I found that out.

Yep, but they quit halfway through, because the label wasnt allowing them to do what they wanted with the record!

So they split!