IGNORED

what's new and innovative?

franki

Rez to me was innovative for a number of reasons. Sure, as the Mighty Minter says - it's Space Harrier with techno trousers. Thing is though, it's the most artistically accomplished game out there with an incredibly successful blend of sound and vision, never to be repeated in a long time.

Rez gives me hope that there's more to the games industry than generic fucking car games and licences.

Yeah, yeah I know... I don't have a PS2 so never got round to playing it ;) However I've just got hold of a PS2 Linux kit so will be picking up a PS2 to use it with next month :lol:, if anyone knows any sites (other than ebay) still selling copies of Ico (preferably the limited edition :P ) I'd be most greatfull!

The iToy was a fairly innovative product thats just sprung to mind!

Well i have played both.

Ico - shallow comabat, annoying enemies and marginal atmosphere.

PoP:SoT - Interesting, variety, right length.

No comparison IMHO as I hate those black monsters in Ico

Obvious choice I know but...

*drum roll*

Ikaruga. Aside from it being majestic as nuts it took a genre I thought had been done to death and turned it on it's head.

What about Radiant Silvergun though? A lot Ikaruga is straight from that (albeit simplified).

What about Radiant Silvergun though? A lot Ikaruga is straight from that (albeit simplified).

Really? Didn't know that as I've never played it.

Okay, not Ikaruga then...

Can't think of anything else, except maybe Viewtiful Joe, but for every new idea that had it had another cliche to balance it out. Like the level where you fight all the bosses again in sequence.

P.S. Kamrantaz: Ikaruga is never "meh" though.

P.P.S. Ico plays like a C64 adventure game with pretty graphics (not meant as a criticism as I loved it, but there's not a single original thought in it, it's just very very good).

Whilst I agree in part, at some point - after you've played oh so many games - you just feel like you've seen it all before, and you're hanging on every new gimmick like it's the second coming.

I'm sure many of us feel like that at times.

*signs on dotted line*

lets get one thing straight.

rez wasnt innovative. it was panzer dragoon/starfox minus the fun.

not innovative? if you played it with the sound off perhaps.

there's a perfectly good discussion going on here (albeit a re-hash of many previous ones) about what is and isn't innovative. i guess what i was getting at when i started the post was games with a certain magic. we all know them when we're playing them and we don't need a magazine or another gamer to tell us whether we're right or wrong, we just know.

there is a feeling of "been there done that" and perhaps it's just a phase, but whatever it is, i'm there now and need a dose of medicine please. thanks for the recommendations so far :huh:

Unity is one I'm looking forward to, some of the stuff you're supposed to be able to do certainly sounds quite innovative.

Quietly hoping that the Nintedo DS will prove to have some new innovations.

I also think that Halo 2 might prove innovative in it's new refinements.

P.P.S. Ico plays like a C64 adventure game with pretty graphics (not meant as a criticism as I loved it, but there's not a single original thought in it, it's just very very good).

There are countless original thoughts in the visual and audio design. Just because the gameplay isn't original doesn't mean the game's unoriginal.

Same goes with Rez. Sometimes stunningly new gameplay in a familiar visual style is the way forwards (Mario 64, Gran Turismo), sometimes stunningly clever and appropriate visuals and sound with familiar gameplay are the way forward.

Come to think of it, I don't think there's ever been a game to knock the world's socks off in terms of both style and gameplay at the same time.

I keep thinking of new things to add to this list. Anyone who says innovation is dead needs a slap in the face.

Animal Crossing: Somehow being able to trade with other people who have the game. Having 4 friends living in one game world together. A game of relaxation and harmony.

In Memoriam: An amazing excercise in storytelling, its use of the web was original and eye opening. The future of detective stories?

I keep thinking of new things to add to this list. Anyone who says innovation is dead needs a slap in the face.

Animal Crossing: Somehow being able to trade with other people who have the game. Having 4 friends living in one game world together. A game of relaxation and harmony.

In Memoriam: An amazing excercise in storytelling, its use of the web was original and eye opening. The future of detective stories?

i wouldn't say that innovation is dead. but it does sometimes feel like past a certain point in a console's lifespan, innovation becomes thinner on the ground. and alan, animal crossing? yes, fine, good example but not what i'd call recent

i dunno, we read about how original games don't fare so well as generic titles, and we can see that process hard at work in the film industry.