IGNORED

Stereophonics - Why do people hate them

marlonharewood

Stereophonics get slammed and put down by everyone. Whether it be on radio, the press or tv. Can someone explain to me, why?

I though their earlier stuff was quite good. Mark and Lard previously on radio1 used to put them down and in response the sterophonics gave a very rude retort to them which was played on radio 1.

Stereophonics get slammed and put down by everyone. Whether it be on radio, the press or tv. Can someone explain to me, why?

IMO? Because they are completely, depressingly fucking average. They may as well not exist and I frequently wish they didn't. Being arrogant gobshites doesn't help either.

I though their earlier stuff was quite good. Mark and Lard previously on radio1 used to put them down and in response the sterophonics gave a very rude retort to them which was played on radio 1.

To be fair, it was a 'goodbye' recording with some ill-disguised insults thrown in. They seemed to take it in good humour, though. My respect for them went up by, lemme think, 0.1% after that.

I haven't even heard anything from them other than the singles since the second album. Have a Nice Day is a nice enough song to stick on commercials but there was no need to use it in Dawn of the Dead. I couldn't bring myself to like the film after that.

I think people wouldn't care if they didn't sell so may records. As far as British guitar bands go, I think only Coldplay have sold more this millennium (for material released this side of 2000, that is). Disturbing.

The first album was wonderful; full of promise. Listen to it; every song is a story. Good song structure, good lyrics, plenty of promise.

Then you've got the second album, with lyrics by Doctor Fucking Seuss. They just wrote out a bunch of rhyming couplets then sang them to utterly non-descript tunes, and the cretinous public bought it. Fuck, I bought it, and it was an absolute disaster.

I've never forgiven them for that, to be honest. Along with the Manics, it was devestating. Talent out, white sports-casual wear in!

Cloney

Kelly Jones' singing voice.

Sounds like a nasty cough. Get it sorted.

I definitely agree with you there.

I hate them not because I don't like their music - I do though - but because of the comment Kelly Jones made a few years back about how "REAL MUSIC" is performed by "REAL MUSICIANS" on REAL INSTRUMENTS".

That's why I love the Aphex Twin, Depeche Mode, PSB, Plaid, Kraftwerk, Carl Craig, etc.... I dance to disco because I don't like rock.

They slagged off journalists in Mr Writer which didn't help their cause.

They're shite anyway.

Didn't the drummer get sacked for having crap hair?

PS Someone tipped me off about a small "fans'" gig they were doing at Shepherd's Bush last year. I bought two tickets for around £20 and, four weeks' later, sold them via eBay so some tart in the City... for £120. Tee hee.

The reason why I don't like them is simply because the music sounds so bloody miserable. I lump them in with the likes of Travis, Star Sailor, and Coldplay (to some extent) where I just feel the music is miserable, depressing, shoe gazing dirge. No energy to it. I listen to all types of music for different moods but this 'moaning' music just doesn't float my boat.

When these bands started appearing a few years back my only thought was, 'Cheer up for chrisakes, you're young, have fun. Stop depressing the nation'.

I'm not saying they're shit, but their music just doesn't do anything for me except make me want to turn the channel over.

I don't like them because everything they do is really really boring sunday afternoon 30something middle management barbeque music! 1000 trees was good though, I have the first album somewhere before they turned bad.

And the drummer scares me, he looks like an evil monster that is a hybrid between Gollum and a Gollywog!!

stuart.JPG= ttt-gollum.gif+ Chgoly10.JPG

Okay, am I the only one who loves the Stereophonics then?. They have produced some amazing songs such as Roll Up and Shine, Traffic, Madame Helga and such, awesome band!.

You're not alone.

They're produced four decent albums with a variety of fantastic tunes.

Even the most recent album, where they decide to go back in time, is classic and adds a whole new dimension to the music.

A step in the right direction, moviestar is the devine product of this.

Maybe we just have to accept that we know nothing about music on this forum. I mean, they seem to be popular with the masses. Can all those people be wrong? It might just be that people on this forum have no taste in music. I know it's a horrifying thought, but a lot of you do seem to like Radiohead.

And there's one thing that any sensible observer can objectively say, and that's this:

Stereophonics' 21st century output > Radiohead's 21st century output.