Film to watch tonight: Get Shorty or Platoon?

Calum

Ok then:

23:00 Get Shorty

Crime comedy based on the novel by Elmore Leonard, starring John Travolta, Gene Hackman and Rene Russo. A Miami loan shark gets involved in the cut-throat world of Hollywood.

Or

23:20 Platoon

Oscar-winning war drama starring Charlie Sheen, Tom Berenger and Willem Dafoe. A teenage college drop-out volunteers to serve as an ordinary foot soldier in Vietnam.

First one is on ITV, the second on BBC1. No preferences really, but which one is worth staying up and awake for?

Am I the only one who thought Get Shorty was massively overrated? I'd choose Platoon over Get Shorty, but in reality I wouldn't watch either.

Nah, I thought s was vastly overrated too. A decent film, but no better than that.

Platoon though is one of the greatest films ever made, stunning film.

I've never seen it rated as anything other than a decent film. Where do you get your reviews - presuming you read them.

Well IMDB rate Get Shorty as a 7/10 and generally people on there say its an excellent film. Personally I thought it was unfunny bollocks and worthy of about a 4/10. Hence my overrated comment.

Its just one of those films that I hated and everyone else likes I guess, like Oceans Eleven.

Its just one of those films that I hated and everyone else likes I guess, like Oceans Eleven.

An unpretentious and stylish film - even the remake has a watchable quality; avergae but not all that bad. Most films are average.

both are brilliant. If you have seen both then get shorty. If you have seen neither Platoon is the ticket - but go go out and buy get shorty.

If he's seen both then surely he doesn't require your advice on the matter? :)

Personally I'd watch Get Shorty at that time of night, much lighter and easy going. There's a sequel on the way called Be Cool, which if it's anything like the book will be excellent. Certainly high on my wanted list anyway.

An unpretentious and stylish film - even the remake has a watchable quality; avergae but not all that bad. Most films are average.

I was talking about the remake of Oceans Eleven BTW, which had me drumming my fingers halfway through and at the end amazed at the audacity that they had the cheek to have an intricate caper movie in which the caper had a big hole in it.

Soderberg hasn't done anything good in ages. Solaris was bollocks too.

I'll have to repectfully disagree that ther eis suxh a gulf between the two movies - though the original is certainly a great version of the same ideas.

Well opinions are like.... etc...

I just can't see why Soderberg bothered to make Solaris, its not like his version brings anything new to the table, its just the original with less stuff in it. I'd have probably preferred it if he made a movie based on a book that hadn't been made before, there must be a lot of good candidates of thoughtful sci-fi novels out there?

It did nothing for me. The original had me mesmerised for the 3-4 hours it lasts.