IGNORED

Final Fantasy IX

Daanos

I picked up IX in the sale and it’s a lot better than I remember. The loading times when switching between battle and exploration, especially the world map, are interminable but the combat is challenging and engaging. Also the frame rate on the world map is unforgivable - a real step backwards from VII which maintained a smooth frame rate at almost all times, hard to imagine what went wrong there, especially given the heavy fog - sorry ‘mist’. 

But I’ve put a solid 7 hours into it today which must be a recent PB and ringing endorsement. Probably a bit too heavy on the talking side of things but I can’t remember the plot in the slightest so that’s not spoiling things too much. 

The degree to which status effect magic fails in this renders magic like sleep, slow and poison completely useless - to the point where including them at all feels pointless. In a battle with standard enemies you can twat them all with attacks and attacking magic within about 2 turns so it’s not as if this is a balancing issue. 

You can’t even scan bosses to check their HP or weaknesses! Just daft. 

Maybe this changes later in the game when your characters’ levels are higher? I don’t see an accuracy stat though. 

It only serves to discourage experimentation, a real shame. 

Status effect attacks are pretty much useless in all jrpgs, I find. The only exception I can think of is the DS remake of FFIV, where in the late game many of the enemies are bastard hard, verging on the impossible, until you realise they're vulnerable to sleep or stop.

But in most cases, yeah just attack until dead.

I'm on Disc 3 and have gotten through all battles, including most boss battles with just hitting them with my weapons, I've barely used Vivi's magic as MP always feels like it's in short supply, I've used summons once or twice in boss fights.

Status effects do play a part to some degree, there's one boss battle that they're really handy.

Again though, I'm on Disc 3 and the game has been very linear, you're shuttled from location to location, which I personally don't have a problem with, I'm enjoying the ride and I like that all the core cast of characters get their moments.

• 1 year later...

And finished.

Actually did it in under the time limit to get Excalibur 2 which is something i have never done before. The ending with the fmv and real time models looks hilarious these days.

It's quite sad because the more I play games like this the more I realise we won't ever see new games in this mould any more. It's also sad realising this game is now 4 console generations old and I last played it when I was 13 in my bedroom at my parents house on a crt! How times flies....

• 7 months later...
58 minutes ago, Mitchell said:

Not sure how many of you all saw this clever PC mod, to upscale the graphics, all very clever.  

But as of a few days ago...you can also (alongside the above Moguri mod) now play in Ultrawide.  Works like a treat and looks (and sounds...) better than ever.  Link here.   

FFIX on sale on Steam at the moment too!  

That’s so nice! I played through the whole thing a couple of christmases ago and, ending aside, I really enjoyed it.

This year it’s VIII!

7 hours ago, carlospie said:

Ff9 is like fine wine. It was pretty good at launch, compared to the later ff it's a masterpiece. I played through it a few months ago on the Xbox and loved it. 

It's one I've never done but keep meaning to go back too. Think the furthest I ever got was the ice cavern after the initial opening lol. For some reason I've always struggled getting into 8 + 9.

Eight and nine are both decent. Eight always had the issue of not being 7, which fucked it over a bit. As a child I also didnt really like 8 but again as I have aged I can see it with fresh eyes. 8 had a phenomenal complex plot and some cool gameplay mechanics, nine oozes personality and charm with some awesome endgame baddies. 

2 hours ago, Sarlaccfood said:

I fucked 8 by not quite understanding the combat system and was using techniques like items when apparently I should have saved them all or something. Abandoned my save of about 20 hrs and haven’t gone back. 

Pretty much the same as me tbh. I still don't really understand how the draw magic thing works and spent so much time faffing about trying to understand it that I gave up. 

9 will probably be the one I end up finishing at some point purely because it's back to the usual turn based stuff. I just need to set up my PC to cheese that jump rope achievement lol. 

I replayed 8 on Switch in 2020. The x4 mod definitely helps, otherwise I'm not sure if I'd have seen it through. The story makes no sense whatsoever and is laughably silly, and Squall is a massive bell-end, but the cutscenes are still pretty cool. The best thing about it is how you can completely break the game quite early on if you exploit the draw magic/junction system. I literally didn't die once in the 20 hours it took me to get through it because I have everyone's stats maxed out with magic I never used.

IX is a lot more charming and nicer to look at, and some of the writing is genuinely funny (especially with Steiner). The story is a bit less bobbins, but it still takes a nosedive in the final act, but FF games always do. If you've not played it then definitely check it out. Especially with the new shiny mod.