My first remix is done and ready for comsumption!

jcee

A VGMix guy? On these forums? Well I never! I'll have a listen...

Intro's not exactly grabbing me...

Too much of the same loops, there's not much going here IMO. :) I certainly can't recognise the original...

No, wait, there it is at 1:26. My ears!

Now it's going somewhere...

Not really my sort of dancey trance, really... sorry!

A VGMix guy? On these forums? Well I never! I'll have a listen...

Intro's not exactly grabbing me...

Too much of the same loops, there's not much going here IMO. :P I certainly can't recognise the original...

No, wait, there it is at 1:26. My ears!

Now it's going somewhere...

Not really my sort of dancey trance, really... sorry!

Yeah I should've put a disclaimer that non- dance fans will hate this!

:)

Sounds like a GCSE project? I'm not trying to be rude but the composition technique is very basic, there's not much happening melodically, harmonically or rhythmically and the instrumentation is very bland. I didn't like it at all, sorry.

Next time try to add more variation to the rhythm parts, giving it a definite structure with incidental fills and dramatic crescendos. Add more instruments, introducing more themes that develop through the song. Spend some time playing with some interesting sounds, often if you mess around with something that sounds slightly odd a good idea will suggest itself. Think about your instrumentation more with regards to texture and space. Don't use such a cheesy chord progression! ;)

Cheers for the constructive criticism, to be fair to me it is my first attempt at making music. So I would more say Primary school project for me.

As for the cheesy comment- I like cheese! ;)

I wouldn't mind doing a remix either... maybe we could organise a small competition on the forum? I know there's a few people about with Reason, guitars, home recording equipment, in a band and what not. It might encourage me to actually get my keyboard out again. ;)

We could just pick a track and give everyone a week or so?

Just an idea.

I wouldn't mind doing a remix either... maybe we could organise a small competition on the forum? I know there's a few people about with Reason, guitars, home recording equipment, in a band and what not. It might encourage me to actually get my keyboard out again. ;)

We could just pick a track and give everyone a week or so?

Just an idea.

A week! ;)

Ok that sounds good to me.

I'd be up for it definately as long as it's a choice of tunes and / or a really recognisable one like the Mario brothers theme.

Sorry, not had a chance to listen to it yet but I'll give it a go when I get home. I'm not overly keen on cheese though.

A lot of people go on about the sound in Metroid Prime but there does seem to be quite a few presets used. There's at least two that are straight out the MS2000.

I've never had much respect for people that use unedited patches. What's the point in having a synth if you're going to use it like a sampler?

I'd be up for the remix competition by the way. My prophecy got nicked a couple of weeks ago though and I've not heard back from my insurance company yet but as soon as that's sorted out.

A lot of people go on about the sound in Metroid Prime but there does seem to be quite a few presets used.  There's at least two that are straight out the MS2000.

I've never had much respect for people that use unedited patches.  What's the point in having a synth if you're going to use it like a sampler?

I don't see the big deal in that... if thats the sound the musician wanted, then use it. What I find hilarious is the same people who hold that opinion will patch their up to the minute tech to sound like a 303 preset or a Juno preset.

If it works use it, regardless of where it comes from.

So you don't have more respect for people that create original sounds from scratch? For the last few years synthesizers have been complex and powerfull enough to keep us in original sounds for an eternity but very few people push them.

Nah, I agree with hub - if there's a patch I like from one of my synths, I have no qualms throwing it straight in.

Modelling your own sounds on something like the Prophecy is a nightmare - well, I think it is (message to des: I didn't nick your Prophecy! :P ).

So you don't have more respect for people that create original sounds from scratch? For the last few years synthesizers have been complex and powerfull enough to keep us in original sounds for an eternity but very few people push them.

But in general their 'original sounds' sound exactly the same as everyone elses 'original sounds'... or just a minute variation on something thats already about.

Bear in mind that thats the aspect that I personally love, just messing around and making new sounds. But you still have to ask yourself if that bass sound you've been sculpting for 3 hours is really that different to whats already available to you.

Thats 3 hours with which you could have actually been making a track.

The prophecy IS a bitch and I don't know anyone that actually knows how to program one properly. All I do (or did) is tweek the presets and use it as a controller.

My setup's been fairly static for a few years now so I'm quite comfortable with it but also bored of the presets. Even if I did buy something new (which I wont, I've kicked the habit) I'm pretty sure I wouldn't use a preset. The big fuck off sounds that make you buy them in the first place are good fun for approximately five minutes then they start to annoy you and the other sounds are more like material sounds for building your own from. It's more the big, complex, distictive sounds I was talking about by the way.

And I know who nicked it, it was my sister's ex boyfriend, junkie scum.

It's more the big, complex, distictive sounds I was talking about by the way.

Well, thats fair enough... a great complex pad that you've made yourself is much more satisfying. I guess we were talking at cross purposes. I was coming from the side that would say you don't need to spend an hour modifying hi-hat or bass note that eventually ends up the same.