The Sun and its 'free games'

Fnerk

I've only caught the advert tonight, but The Sun are apparently doing another games giveaway this week, with titles like The Simpsons: Hit and Run, Splinter Cell and XIII up for grabs. I can't remember what the other two games are, but after they gave away Rayman 3, Rainbow Six: Rogue Spear and Worms Blast i'm certainly going to follow these up.

Does anyone know any more about it? Are they actually the full thing, or just some wicked ploy by the worlds dumbest newspaper?

They're in slip-case things, BUT

Splinter Cell and XIII are the FULL GAMES.

The other two aren't.

This is at Gamestation, and there's not much chance of skimping some from your friends that work there, because they're counted on the system. But all you have to do is collect tomorrow and Sunday's (I think) tokens to claim one. Aces. :unsure:

No. You just cut out the voucher and take it in. No tokens, no multiple purchases.

The Express are doing a similar thing with Fox Kids and Woolies. Todays voucher gets you 3 free DVD's with episodes of X-Men, Spiderman and Incredible Hulk.

In Mondays edition there looks like some compilation, but i'm not sure.

I mean, i know its a comp, but i dunno whats on it.

That Nick Carter fella's review is better then GTM. :unsure:

He's reviewing the other games next week.

I can't wait.

Well, rayman 3 certainly wasn't the full game last time The Sun did this - cause I got it.

Hang on a mo......

Just borrowed a Sun from my work colleague.

It says "Free Simpsons Pc Game Worth £19.99" on the front of the paper in massive letters and then there is this little thing on the side of the simpsons picture saying (vertically !) "special edition"

Inside the paper - all of the games are listed as "special editions" - so presumably 3 level demos like Rayman 3.

How the fuck can the sun get away with false advertising like this? Presumably no-body cares as the things are free. The blurb reads "building up to a set worth £170" - but surely these are PC mag demos.

Really?

What a bloody rip-off. I bet the SUN will say :

we were told they were full "special edition versions".

Ahh, so that compendium is no doubt full of shit, but each piece of shit is worth a tenner. Thats about 120 squid. Well, thats what you'd pay for them about ten years ago.

'Beach Soccer' and 'Karate'.

I can't wait.

Yes, that sounds about right, seeing as the advert says you don't have to collect tokens.

Shut the fuck up.

Tokens/vouchers, they're all the same. You have to collect today's and tomorrows.

I haven't actually seen the advert either.

Shut the fuck up.

Tokens/vouchers, they're all the same. You have to collect today's and tomorrows.

I haven't actually seen the advert either.

You can't collect tomorow's, there's no Sunday edition of The Sun. As I understand it you just buy the paper and take the voucher in. You have to have SOME proof you bought the paper.

I'll be getting XII on Tuesday :unsure:

You can't collect tomorow's, there's no Sunday edition of The Sun. As I understand it you just buy the paper and take the voucher in. You have to have SOME proof you bought the paper.

I'll be getting XII on Tuesday ;)

Really? That's even better. :)

May do that today, hmm hmm!

The VU Games ones are demos - the Ubisoft ones are full games. I think VUG have chosen demos because they don't want to piss anyone off: offering free games with magazines these days is a bit of a taboo amongst publishers of both printed media and games, thanks to ELSPA.

XIII is like four fucking discs though, seriously doubt they'll be giving that out for free. Much more likely is the 3 level special edition scenario. I mean, what else is special edition going to mean in this context? Better textures? Improved saving facilities?

Plus I saw Splinter Cell being given away with a pack of CDRs in Woolies not to long ago, needless to say it was a 3 level special edition.