IGNORED

Beautiful levels

DJ Sack

When I first played that (must have been about 13) I very nearly cried with happiness it was so beautiful. Just thinking about the music now chokes me up a bit. Especially the way it changes when you go underwater. *sigh*

That pretty much describes my experience exactly :(

i could have done with knowing someone who felt that way about Super Mario 64 back then! :(

All these words and no pictures.

(blade runner pic)

Oh man.

One of the very few games where I just couldn't see how the graphics were 'done'. Came out in 1998, didn't it? And the human models seemed practically photorealistic. Strange that Westwood didn't do any more games along those lines, presumably it sold poorly.

Oh man.

One of the very few games where I just couldn't see how the graphics were 'done'. Came out in 1998, didn't it? And the human models seemed practically photorealistic. Strange that Westwood didn't do any more games along those lines, presumably it sold poorly.

4CDs wasn't it? And Voxels. Not bad, but the gadgets were a let down

I'm currently being blown away by the abandoned factory level in Painkiller. The opera house and cathedral were highly impressive, too. I know I've got more to look forward to as well, after hearing some people's comments here..

DOA Xtreme Beach Volleyball has some lovely locations. Pretty much any Dead or Alive game does, actually.

I was also impressed by the sheer scale of some of the areas in SOS: Final Escape. Graphically not great, but really vertigo-inducing in places.

I can't believe we've made it this far without mentioning Tomb Raider; the moment where Lara walks out of a tunnel onto the head of shpinx in a cave. And the camera pans back....and back.....and back......and back....until she's a tiny dot in the distance.

Probably the single most beautiful, genuinely gasp-inducing moment I've ever experienced from a game. Wonderful.

For lesser known/appreciated titles I'd have to vote for Ecco (DC/PS2)

ecco2.jpg

bild09.jpg

Though I couldn't find one anywhere online, ideally I'd have put a picture of the awesome 'Hanging Water' level, which has huge spheres and tubes of fluid suspended in mid air for you to swim through and dive between - just magical.

Also Yager (XBox)

screenshot_5787_large.jpg

screenshot_5785_large.jpg

Just running around the mario64 castle was cool. And flying around some of those pilotwings islands was amazing, especially with birdman. Cant think of pc games that have beautiful levels - probably because i can't get as immersed in a game sitting at a desk infront of a keyboard, mouse and monitor.

supmarion64_3.jpg

mario64.JPG

scrn02.jpg

When I first saw initial images of Luigi's Mansion I was stunned. And I still think it looks lovely (apart from when you go first person, don't like that really).

Outcast is another game which stands out for me. It may be in voxels, but it remains one of the most pretty things I've ever seen.

Agree with Grim Fandango - suberbly designed game. One of my all time favourites.

Currently I'm l'm loving FFXI... below are two shots of me in the Ronfaure area and La Thiene Plateau Area.

Lush...

4584.jpg

51a7.jpg