IGNORED

Beautiful levels

DJ Sack

Back on Halo (sorry folks, but I've been playing again recently, and I'm all excited again...)

The actual level Halo is one of the most perfectly structured levels of any game ever.

Aside from being incredibly pretty, it has a hhuge amount of variety in what you can and cannot do.

It gives you so much...your first experience on the Warthog, lovely landscape, huge architecture, the Sniper gun, and loads more stuff.

Amazing. Whilst I don't get tired of the game anyway, this level is bloody superb.

Also: Assault on the Control Room is fantastic as well. It's just fun to play with tanks, I suppose. I do like saving my troops, and getting them to sit on the thing. They make suitable 'marine' quotes.

Yee-Ha.

ik.gif

One of the better looking early Amiga games. Looks very basic now of course.

That background was great, with all the little animations you could set off manually by typing in four-letter codes.

And the trouser-dropping. :)

The Halo level with it's stunning view of the Halo, the waterfall, the sun effect through the trees, the rolling countryside up the hill, and a Covenant ship flying low as you walk over the bridge :)

halo_preview.jpg

Also, the beautiful island of the Silent Cartographer.thesilentcartographer_preview.jpg

I seem to remember this topic coming up before and we had the same choice then Mr Do. ^_^

Oh my god: Sonic Adventure has a day/night cycle. :unsure: Now Mystic Ruins looks even more beautiful.

Could someone tell me if it is based on the internal clock, or whether there is a separate, invisible, GTA3 style clock ingame?

I'm still fond of the Seabed in PSO. Despite having an affinity for the outdoor levels, the Seabed still impresses. Especially the water effects, the fountain, the destroyed gantries, the flooded areas, etc. And the reflections!

snap.jpg

sea_bed_lower_2.jpg

seabed_lower_break.jpg

Monkey Island 3 is also bloody good.

curse03.jpg

curse02.jpg

curse04.jpg

Which one is that? I love the snowy one with the little houses and the lights. It really gave you that Christmas feeling. Lovely.

Also disc 4 of Shenmue II:

The opening with the kids jumping into the river, the trees, the flowers, the butterflies and fireflies, the eagle, the waterfalls....the tiny village at the end of it all. Fantastic. This thread deserves to be a sticky btw.

shen2_screen008.jpg

shenmue2_screen011.jpg

Well said!

I can i add Lake Hylia (sp?) and Hyrule field from OoT.

Anyone else think that music has a great deal to do with creating a beautiful level? i think what makes a level beautiful is the mood it puts you in. So a level can look nice, but be spoiled by inappropriate music. Personally a level has to have a chilled out atmosphere and music for me to really like it.

Halo Levels 2 & 4

Rez Level 5

Plenty of Ico and some of the scenes from Blade Runner, particularly one at the end.. the desolate landscape.

Off the top of my head anyway, so liable to add or change at any point.

im quite fond of this one:

62cosmo_canyon.jpg

Cosmo Canyon. I listen to that soundtrack an unhealthy amount. Makes my hair stand on end. Fantastic. :unsure:

I must add, every time I return to it, I just snort with laughter at the effortless genius of the level design in Super Mario 64.

And for an obscure one, the first level of Valtric on arcade holds dear memories, but that's probably not quite the point of this thread.

Anyway, I'm off to whistle the Cosmo Canyon theme again.

Actually, I'll add this:

dig7.jpg

The Dig, cruelly overlooked. But again, it's the soundtrack that completes the package for me. Wonderful experience, mystifying and so enthralling.

Great thread btw. Pure eye candy.

The Dig, cruelly overlooked. But again, it's the soundtrack that completes the package for me. Wonderful experience, mystifying and so enthralling.

Great thread btw. Pure eye candy.

Levels, man! Levels!

And for the man asking about Sonic Adventure's "Day/Night" cycle, there isn't one. It's just arbitrarily nightime at certain points in the game.

doesnt seem like it is.. unless i'm using an incorrect version

I only have... **quickly checks MAME folder** ...64 MAME roms, and Salamander 2 is definitely one of them. I'm using MAME32 v0.81 if that makes any difference :unsure:

Several levels in the original Unreal were breathtaking.

I love you. Really, seriously. Let me take you out.

The level with the huge magma chasm, and the one where you approached the spaceship along the massive gouge it had carved when it crashed. That game was one of few that have stunned me with their gorgeousness.

Homeworld 2.

I know it's just a still frame point and click genre, but some of the scenery in Myst and Riven are pretty jaw dropping. Before FPS/Scrolling games REALLY REALLY took off, Myst was pretty much the bomb for graphics, albeit rendered stuff.

And call me sad here, but some of the tracks on RalliSport Challenge 2 are very pretty. I'm a particular fan of Mesa Roja Ascent during sunset. :P

While some of you may scoff, GTA3 at around the 5pm mark, when the weather is clear, can look pretty gorgeous

GTA III (and to a lesser degree VC) in the rain is often just wonderfully atmospheric and beautiful in an ugly, scummy kind of way. Especially the first island.

this is a great thread. i might even read it all one day.

no game has ever given me the sense of physical 3d space that ico does, and i went through it slowly, reverently, gazing into the distance everytime i entered a new area, keeping track of my position in the entire complex and identifying other areas i had been in from afar. at the end, when i found myself crossing those pipes into the original keep, the first building, i was thrilled--i had noticed those pipes at the beginning of the game. i looked up at the broken part of the bridge that had crumbled under me as i had crossed it so long ago. nothing will ever compare to ico for its sense and significance of space. the player develops an emotional relationship to the space in the game without any artificial assitance from the game at all--it comes about simply through traveling and interacting, simply through playing the game.

oh hey i played the dig. i even have the novel somewhere, haha. but the game doesn't strike me as any more beautiful than many other lucasarts and sierra games.

i think that for a level to be beautiful, it takes much more than nice graphics. i remember some of my earliest encounters with clever level design; super metroid left a very lasting impression, with the superb backtracking that always kept you involved and gave you a sense of samus's improvement, and especially with the smaller ways they had set up to let you find your way into some tight place to find a new item and then escape easily using it. and some speed booster sequences amongst other things there were to do in the same areas.. it was almost like there were layered puzzles.

zelda levels might be a stock answer, but truthfully i've always found zelda dungeons annoying.

yoshi's island had beautiful levels in that each was thematically unique graphically and with its own gameplay tweak.