IGNORED

Super Mario Sunshine

ryodi

I liked Mario Sunshine but there were just too many rough edges for my liking.For instance why are you thrown out of levels when you die instead of being put back to the levels start/Why did it cost a life when you made a mess of the rollercoaster or squid surfing bits?Hell why was there a "lives" structure even in there when the likes of Jak and Daxter had shown it wasnt needed and was just restrictive?You effectively had infinite lives anyway so why bother with this?

The most annoying camera moment for me was in the Fun (ironing) Park in that level where you had to climb up to the top of... umm... something using those fences. Annoyance Ahoy!

A well timed jump from the top of the rollercoaster would get you umm.. somewhere as well. But yeah, that bit was the only place I felt the camera clearly couldn't cope with.

Top game though, and I loved the sunny feel to it.

The day I got Mario Sunshine, I played it for eight hours straight, and only realised how long I'd been playing when my girlfriend phoned me and told me it was eight o'clock rather than (as I thought) 5' o'clock. the game literally ate my day.

That's one great game.

This thread inspired me to return to it for the first time in a year, actually. I've spent much of the day playing it. I already have one complete 120 Shine game on there, but this time I'm putting aside the desire to complete it to 100% perfection, and just enjoy the game at a more laid back pace.

Oh, I want to play it now as I see you guys loving it so much. My memories of this game is that it's good, but not fantastic. I traded it in, but now I'd like to play.. yeah, I'll loan it from a friend I guess.

• 13 years later...

I think it’s time Nintendo dusted off their 3D Mario platformers for the Switch while we wait 4 - 5 years for the next one. There isn’t a good way to play Super Mario Sunshine these days, unless you fork out for an NTSC GameCube, NTSC copy of the game and £200+ for the component cable. The only other way is to source an early PAL Wii that isn’t caked in faeces, a PAL version of the game and a GameCube controller, so you can play it in glorious 576i.

Anyway, Super Mario Sunshine is a very good platformer, but it’s far from perfect. It does have a special place in my heart though, being the first Mario game I owned on the first Nintendo console I owned (I played Super Mario World and Mario 64 at friends’ houses or on emulators), and the visual style being so unique. Thankfully, there are only a few changes needed to make it really great.

First things first: 16:9 widescreen and HD.

super_mario_sunshine_hd_mockup_by_dreamb

Then, I would take a leaf from Super Mario Odyssey’s book and drop the ‘multi-level’ approach. Have one level, containing all shines. This would make hunting for the blue coins much easier, and significantly more fun. And hey, why not add loads more shines throughout the stages for such tasks as pounding your arse into the floor. Obviously some shines may need to come before others, but that’s no different to each ‘boss’ moon the first time you play a stage in Super Mario Odyssey, with the others becoming available afterwards.

I’d update how Mario controls to be more like Super Mario Odyssey, with a tad more weight, and make him easier to chuck around. He’s a bit twitchy in this, which makes the void stages slightly less fun than they should be. I’d also add motion controls when aiming the water, and either make the water supply bigger or just unlimited.

Talking about the void stages. Let’s have MORE of them. Lots more. All brilliantly designed to take advantage of Mario’s moveset, and some really hard ones once you’ve finished the main game once.

No chucking you out of a level if you die. You just lose 10 coins and return to the start of the stage. There are now shops where you can buy additional costumes (natch).

Yoshi can swim at last! Y’know, like he could do in Super Mario World. And good news, the watermelon stage is GONE. Nuked from orbit. In its place is a level where your water gun is exchanged for an AK-47 and you need to DESTROY watermelons within a time limit.

1 hour ago, Paulando said:

I think it’s time Nintendo dusted off their 3D Mario platformers for the Switch while we wait 4 - 5 years for the next one. There isn’t a good way to play Super Mario Sunshine these days, unless you fork out for an NTSC GameCube, NTSC copy of the game and £200+ for the component cable. The only other way is to source an early PAL Wii that isn’t caked in faeces, a PAL a version of the game and a GameCube controller, so you can play it in glorious 576i.

Nope:

Steal My Sunshine over at Giant Bomb has been great. They've been replying Mario sunshine with a betting game tacked on. It's really demonstrated how buggy it is, and how big a step down it was from Mario 64.

I found it a really disappointing game when it was released. I don't think it's aged very well either.

Yeah someone posted an article about it recently, maybe in the Odyssey thread, and it doesn't really sound it's even a very popular game within Nintendo. 

Also all those suggestions actually seem like quite a bit of work to me. Definitely not a quick fix port. Then you'd want them to do things like fix the crappy Pachinko level, change the last level so it isn't an awful rickety boat ride through a volcano. Lose the hideous voice acting. 

I don't think it's really worth it to be honest, I don't think there's a burning desire amongst the fanbase for it  Better to leave it as a flawed experiment and maybe it'll get a bare bones HD release somewhere down the line. 

It’d be easier than making a brand new game though, surely? And they could still sell it for £30/40. I’d pay full price for a HD remake of them, with added stars/shines. Especially when the alternative is Yooka Laylee :lol:

Obviously they’d need to start with Super Mario 64, but there’d be less to change in that.

Here’s what my new watermelon level would be like, to give you an idea. Tell me you wouldn’t pay 40 quid for this:

I loved Sunshine, still do and I can only assume those on here that don’t just played it at the wrong time of the year - it made that summer and like 64 before it benefitted from being JP language so didn’t understand any of the clues.

Miserable UK winter launch I’m telling you :P 

5 hours ago, deKay said:

Can't imagine Sunshine getting a HD re-release. We never got an improved 64 so why would they do a less popular one?

I want one obviously, but can't see it.

Well there was Mario 64 DS.  Depends if you would call it improved but can't deny the graphical update is appreciated. 

7 hours ago, Darhkwing said:

Well there was Mario 64 DS.  Depends if you would call it improved but can't deny the graphical update is appreciated. 

Hahahahahahaahahahahah! It's the worst game on the DS.

And the graphics looks worse, not better.

1 hour ago, deKay said:

Hahahahahahaahahahahah! It's the worst game on the DS.

And the graphics looks worse, not better.

worst game? nah. The main issue with the game was the controls. If it had a analogue controls it would have been much better.  I am not keen on the extra characters but the fact it has 150 stars now is pretty neat.

Also the mini games entertained me for a long time.

3 minutes ago, Jebs Votes said:

How many DS games did you play?

http://lofi-gaming.org.uk/museum/games/

3 minutes ago, Jebs Votes said:

Sure, Mario 64 DS was terribly disappointing, but far from being the worst DS game.

It was ruined, and the disappointment is enough to make it the worst, in my opinion.

Like how eating shit is awful, but at least you know it's shit. Then being given a delicious looking steak then finding out it's actually made from shit. That's worse.

It was rushed out like the DS to have something to compete with the PSP. It wasn’t that good.

Sunshine was a great twist on the Mario formula, definitely my favourite Mario game world. It was unusually rushed out for a Nintendo game and really needed at least another 6 months in development to iron it out.

20 hours ago, Darhkwing said:

Yeah,  I meant analogue stick. Yeah I played it myself with touch screen but it wasn't that great.  I had too much difficulty later on with it being impresicise. 

I thought it was terrible on the DS but i recently tried it on a 3DS XL. With the circle pad stick thing on the 3DS it plays so much better.

4 minutes ago, ca18s13 said:

I thought it was terrible on the DS but i recently tried it on a 3DS XL. With the circle pad stick thing on the 3DS it plays so much better.

Yeah I tried it out when I got my 3DS stick, it's better for sure but you still have to hold down a button to run.