Latest gamesTM scores

Swainy

You can't have a "consistent" score system.

In my experience you can, at least, you can get quite close to one. It's useful if you intend your reviews to guide readers' purchases (as you get a better feel for what a score bracket 'means' in terms of quality, and you can usually pretty safely assume that a game in a higher bracket is appreciably better than a similar game marked lower). Consistent doesn't necessarily mean impartiality - for instance, if a mag shows a leaning towards graphically whizzy games every time*, you learn to take that into account.

But not every magazine's scoring system is actively, erm, reviewed to work this way. And nor should they be.

*or, say, shaves two points off of every PC review.

Q. "Kill Bill Vol. 1," four stars. "Kill Bill Vol. 2," four stars. "All About Eve," four stars. "Patton," four stars. Are all four-star movies created equal?

M. Reece, Jacksonville, Fla.

A. The star rating system is the bane of my existence. Here's a message from Jason Eaken of Warrensburg, Mo., who points out that I gave negative reviews to "The Usual Suspects," "Fight Club" and "The Ladykillers," but positive reviews to "The Fast and the Furious," "Ghosts of Mars," "Taking Lives" and "High Crimes."

True, I did. But in the reviews I tried to explain how I felt; just counting stars makes me seem simpleminded. I have always awarded stars in a relative, not an absolute way, based to some degree on a movie's success in doing what it wants to do, and what the audience expects from it. Of course, if you think stars are limited, you ought to try working with thumbs.

IGN

Only proves my point- they rattle off this, that and the other about franchise X or title Y or series standard Z, but their reviews are simply lacking most of the time because they're poor reviewers who just waffle too much and rarely convey their opinions clearly or make any attempt to look at what makes the game good, only describing it and then following it up with an epithet like "bestest".

I have also e-mailed Mart, though I am clearly disappointed with his post.

So what's the deal here, then? I'm still curious. Mart is stating that no fixed score was ever advised as far as I read it. You say you were told they were gonna be 8's.

What gives?

Hello.

First (and undoubtedly, last) post for a long while - I doubt you'll see any of us on here trying to defend the mag from now on for reasons that I choose to keep my own, unless Strider comes on here to give his two cents and goes off on one (which I suspect he will later this evening).

Hmmm this seems rather like a shame.

I rather like seeing the GTM guys views on things and the idea of magazine writers looking for constructive feedback?

Not heading off to the ivory towers are you guys?

Incidently as a review is a completely subjective piece of writing which refelcts one person's opinion of a game it does seem odd that that person does not have the final say over the score. A review only has value as one person's opinion afterall so why does the score (which is only a number, the text has all the reasoning) have to be subjected to any editorial 'sense testing'.

Probably just being naive here but there you go...

What I can say is that the issue of deciding scores before even seeing games and then writing a review to match is proposterous and while me saying this will no doubt bypass the minds of the more cynical of you out there, I can't actually believe that anyone out there would think we'd do something like this. I've never worked on a mag that follows such practices and I don't intend to start now; it's a ridiculous idea that only serves to make the magazine look stupid (although many of you appear to be making us look crap very well anyway, without our input to stir your creative juices). Modification of scores can occur depending on how a review is written, admittedly - if the text reads like the game is average or even poor, but still has a high score, it may get adjusted afterwards once the whole team has read through the review and discussed it thoroughly. Without wanting to point fingers (again, something I will no doubt be accused of by folks here once I've gone), but I could hold up the Galleon review in EDGE as an example - to me, it doesn't read like a 7, because I certainly wouldn't use the term 'sorely flawed' in a review of a game that ultimately gets what I would consider to be a good score. But hey... that's just me.

I don't think anyone has actually accused you of anything. All that was asked for was some clarification on the comment from Cacky. However you read that initial comment it refects badly on someone. I think you're being a bit touchy in just legging it like that.

We're not such a bad bunch round these parts... :angry:

So what's the deal here, then? I'm still curious. Mart is stating that no fixed score was ever advised as far as I read it. You say you were told they were gonna be 8's.

What gives?

Well precisely. Either Cacky or martTM seems to be lying, given that they're presenting different sides to the same story.

Oh God, it's going to be the next Digigate, isn't it? I'm not taking sides in this one - I wish I hadn't in the last one (sorry Tony!)

Of course a fixed score was never advised :angry:

Let's face it, if we had told Cacky that no matter how good the game was, we were never going to give it more than a certain score why would he agree to write it in the first place?

Let's face it, if we had told Cacky that no matter how good the game was, we were never going to give it more than a certain score why would he agree to write it in the first place?

So you're saying that Cacky is lying, then?

Ooooh, I wouldn't take that Cacky.

*steps back and rubs hands gleefully*

I have also e-mailed Mart, though I am clearly disappointed with his post.

You're disappointed with Mart's post? Frankly, considering what you wrote about his magazine's review policy, I don't think you have much right to complain.

What an anti-climax.

Where's the rant and the anger and the brutal flaming?

EH?

Still, I doubt we'll ever have to discuss the issue of having to employ experts to review particular games in the future

Rats. There goes my big break to be a star reviewer on Hentai Dating Games.

But seriously, don't be offended ... I'm pretty sure that now both sides of the story are heard, most people will be able to make up their minds and decide who's right.

Yes it was and you made the suitably glib comment that "all mecha games are shit" afterwards.

Really? I saw no opposition when I awarded Virtual On Marz a 6. That was deemed a fair score, yet giving a great game a great score is considered crazy.