The perfect 10

dan_tm

I mean, really.

I’m a massive fan of Halo 1, but no matter how good the sequel is to play, will it be as revolutionary as the original. Will it, could it revolutionize gaming as Bungie did with the first? No matter how many thousands of times better the game could possibly be, will it rank up with Edges score system?

I just thought I would ask if anyone believes Halo 2 could possibly revolutionize gaming again, when I saw a post in another Halo related thread stating that this very forum would implode when Halo 2 gets an 8/10 in Edge.

Whilst I can see the game becoming one of, if not the greatest game ever made, I cannot see a sequel getting the perfect 10.

Not that it matters of course ;)

I think sequels to groundbreaking games are generally a disappointment. I was really looking forward to the new Hitman and Splinter Cell games and both have been a letdown.

Mario 64 is one of my favourite platformers of all time, but Sunshine was not of the same quality (see...avoided saying it was rubbish...oh...I just did!). Advance Wars 2 wasn't as good as AW (imo).

The only type of sequels that seem to get better are driving games, which are consistently better than their predecessors (PGR2 and TOCA 2 spring to mind).

I think Halo 2 will be a groundbreaking game for a different reason however. It's on-line content will (I hope) be the best on-line experience, something to rank along with PGR2's LIVE loveliness.. ;)

Let's split the 1-10 scale up into one 1-9 scale measuring how good the game is, and one 0-1 scale measuring how revolutionary it is. If you like, you can add them together to get the old-style score. It'll make it much less confusing.

I think Halo 2 will be a groundbreaking game for a different reason however. It's on-line content will (I hope) be the best on-line experience, something to rank along with PGR2's LIVE loveliness.. ;)

But Edge didnt take that into account when they reviewed PGR2

Let's split the 1-10 scale up into one 1-9 scale measuring how good the game is, and one 0-1 scale measuring how revolutionary it is. If you like, you can add them together to get the old-style score. It'll make it much less confusing.

Agreed, it would save a whole lot of arguments come release date! ;)

I've actually come round to the Edge method of scoring from being quite sceptical. It does objectively quantify a games importance in gaming history, however, it has absolutely no relevance as to whether an individual will find playing it fun or not.

The "problem" with this is it makes arguments much less interesting. It also means that saying GameX score>GameY score !=> (does not imply logic boys) GameX>GameY.

I'm such a geek.

I couldn't give a shit what Edge scored Halo 2, though I might have a discussion with a few of the guys there about it, to see where they're coming from. I just don't think there'll be anything controversial there at all; they'll simply score what they think it deserves, as they always do.

If it ends up being any sort of improvement on the original while retaining all that I love and adding Live play, that's enough for me.

I've actually come round to the Edge method of scoring from being quite sceptical. It does objectively quantify a games importance in gaming history, however, it has absolutely no relevance as to whether an individual will find playing it fun or not.

Yep. Tekken Tag Tournament: 6/10 for being unoriginal. Which is fine, but it put me off buying a game which, when I had a blast at it on a friend's console, is basically four-player Tekken 3, and therefore eminently suitable for drunken nonsense.

Although for some reason that sequel to Bushido Blade on PS2 was also a boozy favourite back then.

I think Halo 2 will be a groundbreaking game for a different reason however. It's on-line content will (I hope) be the best on-line experience, something to rank along with PGR2's LIVE loveliness..

What will it do that Unreal Tournament 2004 doesn't? I expect a 9 also.

Halo - repetition + Deus Ex - pretentious conspiracy pap + Monkeys + super-powered psi-monkeys = System Shock 2

Well worth a look if you're into that sort of thing.

Those monkeys terrified me. Even now the slightest "ook" brings me out in a cold sweat.