The perfect 10

dan_tm

But Edge didnt take that into account when they reviewed PGR2

Now....I got into trouble for mentioning the EDGE review and how they left out how good the online play was for PGR2. One of the members here must be a reviewer, he basically said.

"You cannot review the games online play until it is released.."

Except that he wasn't that polite about it ;)

I think that Halo2's online bits and bobs will make it a great game (like PGR2 + LIVE).

I might add that no matter how good the game is, I am anticipating the backlash with utter relish, it happens with every severely overhyped sequal where it ineveitably won't meet everybodies unrealistic expectations and gets panned to hell and back by overzealous "fans" who will decry any change no matter what its implications for good or for ill.

For other examples of this phenomonen see Perfect Dark, MGS2 and Deux Ex: Invisible War, all of which are fantastic games that mostly surpass their predeccessors and are far better than some people will have you believe. (albeit in the case of DE:IW alot of it was deserved, but it is still a very good game regardless of what the zealots will tell you)

As long as I enjoy it as much as I did the first one, i'll be happy. Anything less will obviously be a disappointment.

I think the live aspects assure this for me, i'm a real whore for multiplayer.

I might add that no matter how good the game is, I am anticipating the backlash with utter relish, it happens with every severely overhyped sequal where it ineveitably won't meet everybodies unrealistic expectations and gets panned to hell and back by overzealous "fans" who will decry any change no matter what its implications for good or for ill.

For other examples of this phenomonen see Perfect Dark, MGS2 and Deux Ex: Invisible War, all of which are fantastic games that mostly surpass their predeccessors and are far better than some people will have you believe. (albeit in the case of DE:IW alot of it was deserved, but it is still a very good game regardless of what the zealots will tell you)

Halo itself has received much backlash both here and on the old Edge forum, mainly over it's 'controversial' score. i doubt Halo 2 will be any different.

i think the problem with Deus Ex 2 is that the first game was loved in spite of it's short comings (iffy AI, broken combat, technically dodgy). the scope it offered wasn't delivered in the sequel, that's what most people had problems with; it fell short of expectations.

Perfect Dark is better than Goldeneye, everyone knows this :rolleyes:

Pointless to say this but sequels seldom have the impact and are often inferior to the original - particulary when the original was much lauded.

Hmmm cynical old me eh but I suspect both Halo 2 and HL2 will be let downs

They'll be extremely good games and I think it would be an achievement for them not to be better than their originals but I still feel they will be heralded as let-downs.

I will be soooo shocked if Halo 2 isn't utterly amazing in one-player mode and stultifyingly career-destroying on Live.

sequels usually suffer from

- diluted characters/plot

- seemingly inferior/uninspired level design

even though the core experience is often superior.

I fail to see how the plot or level design could get any worse - and the rest is pure gold.