The perfect 10

dan_tm

It's an argument that's been going on since Halo came out.

It evolutionary at best.

Wouldn't that suggest the argument has changed rather than being the same stuff rolled out again and again?

Besides, PedanticNitpicking91 revolutionised the argument, and that was before the advent of forums.

:rolleyes:

Wouldn't that suggest the argument has changed rather than being the same stuff rolled out again and again?

Besides, PedanticNitpicking91 revolutionised the argument, and that was before the advent of forums.

<_<

I did say at best.

And it has evolved.

First it was, "Edge is teh biast!"

Then it was, "It's good, but not worth a 10."

Then it was, "It's not a patch on PC FPS's."

Now, it's at the, "There are for more revolutionary FPS's out there..." stage.

Don't forget, it also mutated into a mecha conversation once ("Isn't Master Chief a mech?")

Evolution and mutation from the original argument.

Ergo, I win. :P

Well, you've got me there.

What I say is that as we are still arguing about the game over two years since it came out, I'd say it deserved it Classic status.

And I'm fimrly in the Halo is Revolutionary category. It pretty much stomped on everything around at the time it came out and no amount of flim-flam will change that so just accept it, people.

Nowhere near as much though.

And yes, this is a crazy argument.

Quake is irrelevent in this debate. every FPS that comes on the market is straight away compared to Halo, not Quake. Halo is now the benchmark.

ps. i'm still waiting for your answer <_<

Quake is irrelevent in this debate. every FPS that comes on the market is straight away compared to Halo, not Quake. Halo is now the benchmark.

ps. i'm still waiting for your answer <_<

Pardon?

Chronology doesn't come into it. The question was which was more 'revolutionary'.

Pardon?

Chronology doesn't come into it. The question was which was more 'revolutionary'.

of course it does, you could say Doom is more influential than Quake, where does it end? anyway i thought we were discussing revolutionary rather than 'most influential'?

Seems to me we have an argument over whether revolutionising a genre, rather than revolutionising games in general, is enough to call a game "revolutionary" (i.e. an Edge 10).

EDIT: Personally, it was revolutionary, as it's the first time I actually liked an FPS. For that and the pure amount of fun I've had with it, it gets a Jumble Jumble 10. I couldn't give a fuck what anyone else gives it.

Surely, to bring about a 'revolution', you have to first 'influence' something (or everything)?

not at all, you just have to bring about radical change, which Halo did, in the ways you described. and MK-1601, you're just beating around the bush. answer the question, why is Halo not a revolutionary FPS yet a revolutionary console FPS ? (which is what you said)

not at all, you just have to bring about radical change, which Halo did, in the ways you described. and MK-1601, you're just beating around the bush. answer the question, why is Halo not a revolutionary FPS yet a revolutionary console FPS ? (which is what you said)

I've already said.. at least twice. It only brought about radical change to the console FPS landscape. Most of its content was polishing of what had gone before (in FPS games as a whole).

I've already said.. at least twice. It only brought about radical change to the console FPS landscape. Most of its content was polishing of what had gone before (in FPS games as a whole).

but this just isn't true. the gameplay innovations introduced by Halo were not done first on other FPS's, be they on PC, console or otherwise.

The two-weapons thing, the rechargable shield, the controllable vehicles on non-scripted routes, and the AI team-mates? Similar things had been done in the past but none of them had the real gameplay impact that they had in Halo. Now look at how many games have rechargable shields, limited weapons which must be swapped regularly, and controllable vehicles. Every bloody FPS released more than about a year after Halo does. Surely a sign that the game was a massive influence?

And repeating again in the hope you'll notice it this time.

Hmm... how are things like two-weapon limits, permanently non-obsolete weapons, and regenerative shielding aspects relevant specifically to console FPSs?

How was that polishing what had gone before? Timesplitters 2 is an example of polishing and refining what has gone before. Halo is revolutionary in its execution.

Halo is overrated. Its fun, but not a classic. Half the level design is repeated and the AI is a complete walkover (even on sodding Legendary, and to those who still hold that damn silly belief that the Elites are somehow sentient on Legendary difficulty...shut the fuck up. It's not our fault that you have backed yourself into a spiky corner of self denial).

Christ, take stock of the memetic marketing. Agreeing with dumb American rednecks should at least show you that something just aint right.

It's not revolutionary (except for particularly small values of revolutionary), but it's definately a classic- the multiplayer map design and the superb weapons balancing, as well as the genuinely fun AI, place it above the likes of TimeSplitters and well into Quake 2 territory.