Not "getting" certain games.

El Spatula

Well, I guess this just goes to show that we all have different tastes, and that's a good thing. I personally don't enjoy RTS's or Fighting games, but I can see the attraction some people will have.

On Halo though, I know a guy who bought his Xbox on its release. Apart from a couple of days spent on PGR 1 & 2, Halo has been the ONLY game he has played for what must be almost three years now. Can't think of many other games with that kind of engagement capability.

Mario and Zelda games.

Just don't enjoy playing them at all. Although WW tricked me with it's prettiness, I still gave up in the first dungeon.

Mario just isn't fun for me. Hate them.

Any kind of FPS, waving a gun around and blowing stuff up doesn't appeal to me.

Although I finally got used to the first person perspective, thanks to Morrowind I still prefer third person viewpoints.

Although saying that, I do want to try and get into to Deus Ex for it's RPGness, and the sneaking! I love stealth.

Any kind of sports title. Boring and dull.

Ninja Gaiden

Metroid Prime

Splinter Cell

I can see that there are tons of quality in all of these games. I just don't get them. Ninja Gaiden is hard in a not very inspiring way. Sure I could persevere but what's the fucking use when I don't even think its fun to play. Metroid Prime was great at first but soon turned into a chore. Splinter Cell had so much potential but just wasted it all on being the worst case of trial and error in the history of mankind.

Turn based RPGs I can't get - I see no appeal in a game that is seemingly devoid of tactics and with infuriating unavoidable enemies. If it did it properly, you'd be able to finish it without levelling up. Love Mario and Luigi because it does it properly, mind.

the "Tactics" style games are more my thing, but even then I find the HP and MP and JP and FP and TP and CPC all annoying.

You think that's bad ? I bought FS5, hated it, and then turned into a thick fucker for several years as FS5.1, FSFW95, FS98, FS2000 and FS2002 followed in quick succession. They were all shit, but I kept on going......hope turning to despair as I realised that I had bought yet another turkey. Fortunately, my brain switched itself back on again around two years ago, so I have steered well clear of FS2004 :)

As a poster you just get better and better and better.

I love turn based stategy, but don't get on with Advacne Wars at all.

I can't do it and I find it dull.

Well, for someone like me, who has no experience with strategy games, I thought it was quite inviting. I'm talking about the Field Training specifically, where it explains the basics. It was satisfying, and made me want to keep playing.

Well, for someone like me, who has no experience with strategy games, I thought it was quite inviting. I'm talking about the Field Training specifically, where it explains the basics. It was satisfying, and made me want to keep playing.

I had to get a friend to help me on one of the training missions.

:)

Aelf Inflicted Nosebleed:

Cheats.

People who have no life and treat them as some sort of Olympic event thus making it no fun when you join and end up spawn, die, spawn, die, hit esc and do something more fun.

True, nobody likes cheats in any game. But cheats are not specific to online FPS so it seems you have issues with cheats in general not the genre.

Lazychu:

Getting fragged every 2 seconds because other players are uber l33t is not my idea of fun.

Fair enough but again its not about the game as such its more because you aren't good enough compared to other people :)

If you played some 2D fighters, and whenever you played some ninja players they pwned you every time, would you hate 2D fighters?

As with 2D fighters, FPS and any game against human opponents, I find its more fun to gain skill against an enemy who is always changing, rather than single-player games where its just a case of memorising where the enemy will be.

1-player FPS can get a bit boring though.

I don't understand the thinking in saying you don't like ALL FPS's, you're all entitled to like or dislike whatever you want, but you can't seriously lump all games that are in a first person perspective and require you to shoot stuff together in a handy little group and say "idgi", I mean Thief to Half-life to Serious Sam the differences in the way these games are played must surely set themselves apart. No?

Fair enough but again its not about the game as such its more because you aren't good enough compared to other people :)

If you played some 2D fighters, and whenever you played some ninja players they pwned you every time, would you hate 2D fighters?

As with 2D fighters, FPS and any game against human opponents, I find its more fun to gain skill against an enemy who is always changing, rather than single-player games where its just a case of memorising where the enemy will be.

1-player FPS can get a bit boring though.

You can't compare 2D fighters to FPSs in terms of skill and chance of come-uppance. If you die in a FPS, it's probable that you could have been killed in one shot, maybe from a camping player whose skill is difficult to measure, due to the way they killed you. Or, you could be playing with a bad team, and the opposing team is made up of highly experienced players. Again, impossible to measure.

In a 2D fighter, the player's skill is clear from how they play: they're not hidden, and it's impossible for them to be using cheats. At least you've got a better chance of fighting back, no matter how small.

well yeah, maybe with FPS it is harder to avoid death from unskilled players, but pro players are able to avoid such sniping from noobs or whatever.

With regards to being on a crap team, although its hard to survive, it is not impossible to be on your own and kill the entire enemy team. the only limit is your level of skill.

I just don't think skill levels required are linked to how 'good' the game is. I think I'd be mad to put down a game because I'm simply not able to do as well as others.

Again with 2D shooters, I own Ikaruga and think its a great game, but I'm really shite at it and am nowhere near any other competant players who use chains and stuff. I 'get' it, I'm just bad at it.

Final Fantasy. All of them. As far as I can see, they're stupid, shitty, trite bollocks routinely fawned over by idiots who've somehow avoided ever reading a book and consequently think the reams of text in these things constitutes good storytelling, and anyone who likes them should be neutered. It's only the fact that several people I otherwise quite like are into them and don't appear to routinely drool over themselves that indicates I might be wrong and missing something.

Particularly FF:TA. The spare half hour I generally have to devote to a GBA game appears to be insufficient to skip through all text in the first section with the pointless snowball fight. I can get through three or four levels of Onimusha Tactics in the same time, and although it might not be as pretty or complex, it certainly works a hell of a lot better on the format.

I don't like online FPSs much, and it is largely due to being rubbish at them compared with the regular inhabitants of such games, but it's more the fact that they all have to be such cunts about it. If there were servers dedicated to rubbish players, I might like it more than I do when some 14 year old tosser ostensibly on my side keeps calling me a faggot for not jumping up and down enough to avoid being shot.

Final Fantasy. All of them. As far as I can see, they're stupid, shitty, trite bollocks routinely fawned over by idiots who've somehow avoided ever reading a book and consequently think the reams of text in these things constitutes good storytelling, and anyone who likes them should be neutered. It's only the fact that several people I otherwise quite like are into them and don't appear to routinely drool over themselves that indicates I might be wrong and missing something.

Particularly FF:TA. The spare half hour I generally have to devote to a GBA game appears to be insufficient to skip through all text in the first section with the pointless snowball fight. I can get through three or four levels of Onimusha Tactics in the same time, and although it might not be as pretty or complex, it certainly works a hell of a lot better on the format.

I don't like online FPSs much, and it is largely due to being rubbish at them compared with the regular inhabitants of such games, but it's more the fact that they all have to be such cunts about it. If there were servers dedicated to rubbish players, I might like it more than I do when some 14 year old tosser ostensibly on my side keeps calling me a faggot for not jumping up and down enough to avoid being shot.

My god, have a wank already.

Last time I did that at work everyone looked at me funny.

Anyway, what's the problem? Final Fantasy fan or I used more than four words to express myself?

I'm sure you can express yourself more eloquently than that. Anyway, you just sound like you need to relax a bit. It's some good advice.

Quite a few recent titles I haven't 'got', but these are the prime offenders;

Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga - By this time I had promised myself I wouldn't follow online reviews or others opinions like they were gospel, I'd been burned too badly that way with FFX, but so many people loved this game, naturally I caved. Nice, colourful graphics, nothing wrong there, but the 'hilarity' of it failed to surface after a dozen "Hey green guy, get over here" puns, it just felt like an average game with the Mario licence tacked on ( perhaps the worst part for me, it wasn't good, it wasn't bad, it just.....was).

Skies of Arcadia, GC - RPGs and me are usually a sure thing, but the setting of this one was so unbearably twee and the beginning so bland and unentertaining that I threw it in after two hours.

Final Fantasy X - Looked nice enough but so painfully linear I never felt I had any choice in character development or guiding the storyline at all, there's not even a bloody world map ( there is apparently one near the end, but I didn't get that far ). Cliche characters, boring battles, basically run your character from point A to point B on the screen and trigger a random battle, and some dialogue if you're (un)lucky. This wasn't a game by any qualities I could measure.

Devil May Cry - run from room to room, kill yet more bloody marionettes in a vaguely cool fashion before solving extremely simple puzzle, rinse and repeat, one or two of the boss battles were kind of fun but this is massivly overrated IMO.

I thought it was a nice little rant myself...

As far as I can see, they're stupid, shitty, trite bollocks routinely fawned over by idiots who've somehow avoided ever reading a book and consequently think the reams of text in these things constitutes good storytelling, and anyone who likes them should be neutered. 

Yes, truly delightful.

Especially the bit about having me neutered, and that I'm an illiterate idiot.

A real charmer!

:)