The Day After Tomorrow

FishyFish

Nah - I was genuinely enjoying it.

I'm usually the worst critic of these popcorn cheeseballs, but I thought it was well done and not too ghey. Just ignore the pointless cancer boy bit and it's enjoyable.

Some of the disasters are wicked. ;)

Yeah, I'm approaching it with the "It'll be a no-brainer but worth seeing in the cinema anyway", attitude.

Gonna see it tomorrow night.

Well, if Ebert's review is anything to go by that's exactely the right state of mind.

Roger Ebert

"The Day After Tomorrow" is ridiculous, yes, but sublimely ridiculous -- and the special effects are stupendous.

Well the rant had to start at some point, i might as well be the one to start it.

How the fuck can any of you defend this utter pile of horse shit?

I too went to the cinema expecting some cheesy no brainer action fun, but I mean come the fuck on, at least make an effort. Talk about the most generic, disaster plot by numbers utter horse shit ever conceived. I was in shock at how bad a movie could be. "Oh my god it's erased the hollywood sign!" WHO GIVES A FUCK PEOPLE ARE DYING!!!!. "the eys of the storm will hit new york in half an hour!" SO FUCKING WHAT IT'S ALREADY KILLED MILLIONS OF PEOPLE.

Focusing on the human drama is fair enough but c'mon. Going from washington to new york in those conditions in a couple of days? Resorting to fucking CGI wolves to show peril? slamming an ice pick into glass and it not braking etc etc. There's dumb and then thers not even trying! There wasnt even any smoke coming out of the library when Dennis Quaid gets there (from Washington via the statue of liberty!) despite all the books they've been burning.

And what about the agricultural effects of the northern hemisphere being frozen solid? So we all now live in africa and mexico. What do we all eat? And how the fuck did we all manage to emigrate so fast! Those camps in mexico were set up quick considering all those tents/lights etc had to be imported from somewhere in the middle of armageddon.

I'm all for willing suspension of disbelief (I had a ball during xXx) but really, do fuck off. And don't stop at the moon, just keep fucking off.

Haha.

I dunno I was expecting the WORST MOVIE EVER!

But the point about hollywood sign and what not is spot on.

And I looked for the smoke too!

Best bit in the film was when they found the tax law books to burn. This thick kunt started braying like a donkey for ages so I copied her and set the whole row off laughing :(

Things got destroyed, excellent FX, big old distasters. Yeah, saw it this afternoon. Was ok, but played out as I expected. Before seeing it, I was thinking that it lacked a bad guy, someone to hate, something to root against. ID4 had the Aliens, Godzilla's obvious, but this, I was thinking, LA get wrecked as does New York, people get stranded and then... It lacked a focus, a nemesis, a bad guy. Still, what it did was fine. And Kerraig, picking faults in a film like this is like a pencil without lead.

Well the rant had to start at some point, i might as well be the one to start it.

How the fuck can any of you defend this utter pile of horse shit?

I too went to the cinema expecting some cheesy no brainer action fun, but I mean come the fuck on, at least make an effort. Talk about the most generic, disaster plot by numbers utter horse shit ever conceived. I was in shock at how bad a movie could be. "Oh my god it's erased the hollywood sign!" WHO GIVES A FUCK PEOPLE ARE DYING!!!!. "the eys of the storm will hit new york in half an hour!" SO FUCKING WHAT IT'S ALREADY KILLED MILLIONS OF PEOPLE.

Focusing on the human drama is fair enough but c'mon. Going from washington to new york in those conditions in a couple of days? Resorting to fucking CGI wolves to show peril? slamming an ice pick into glass and it not braking etc etc. There's dumb and then thers not even trying! There wasnt even any smoke coming out of the library when Dennis Quaid gets there (from Washington via the statue of liberty!) despite all the books they've been burning.

And what about the agricultural effects of the northern hemisphere being frozen solid? So we all now live in africa and mexico. What do we all eat? And how the fuck did we all manage to emigrate so fast! Those camps in mexico were set up quick considering all those tents/lights etc had to be imported from somewhere in the middle of armageddon.

I'm all for willing suspension of disbelief (I had a ball during xXx) but really, do fuck off. And don't stop at the moon, just keep fucking off.

Sheesh! Lighten up! :) If your gonna go down that path then what about the full world climate change in two weeks? What about the fact the world is full of scientists and its only quaid who sees it coming (depsite the fact its two weeks away!!!), what about the frost descending like fire in a room and people running from it?

The point is, we just accept this stuff for the sake of entertainment.

Anyway, on the point of the ice pick the roof was covered with ice, it was just a weak part that had given way, so the ice pick could still of stuck in the top layer of the ice without damaging the rest of the glass.

The Hollywood sign is a big enough cultural reference for people to care about it being blown away. If a storm hit America tomorrow and took this down you can damn well bet it would reported, just as if New York was hit and the Statue of Liberty fell down. Sure they would report the deaths, as the film did, but they would also make sure they told us the Statue had fell down.

Anyway, it was simply a 3/5, or 7/10 film for me, so Im not gonna defend it too vehemently. :D

Squirtle:

Things got destroyed, excellent FX, big old distasters. Yeah, saw it this afternoon. Was ok, but played out as I expected. Before seeing it, I was thinking that it lacked a bad guy, someone to hate, something to root against. ID4 had the Aliens, Godzilla's obvious, but this, I was thinking, LA get wrecked as does New York, people get stranded and then... It lacked a focus, a nemesis, a bad guy. Still, what it did was fine. And Kerraig, picking faults in a film like this is like a pencil without lead.

Yeah I know what you mean. But this being possible future fact instead of a pure 'fictional' story means you can't really just have a bad guy for the sake of it.

The only real bad guy was the Vice-President, for not acting sooner and not believing the main hero guy (that was pure hollywood).

Because of the story I think there were no good or bad guys, simply idiots (Vice president, cop in New York who says they should leave the library) and non-idiots (Dennis Quaid, Gyllenhaal, his mum).

Well I saw it last night, although I missed the start thanks to a slight... altercation with a policeman. Only about the first 5 mins though.

Terrible film.

Boring, too long and it seems it was written and directed lacking any kind of thought, or logical thinking what so ever.

The funniest bit was how his snow shoes cracked that glass roof, but luckily to save them from falling the other guy SLAMMED his axe into the roof to stop them from falling. Imagine what the people on set must have been thinking. It's just inexcusable to have holes like that through the script, no matter what kind of film it is.

Cheesy shite. Even the effects weren't used effectively and subsequently seemed rather mediocre.

Not even worth seeing for the special effects, after all.

The only thing I liked was the black dude from Hustle. I like him, dunno why... I think it's his voice.

EDIT: I'd also like to mention I didn't care for a single character. They could have all died and I'd have left the cinema feeling no different.

Sheesh!  Lighten up!  ;)  If your gonna go down that path then what about the full world climate change in two weeks?  What about the fact the world is full of scientists and its only quaid who sees it coming (depsite the fact its two weeks away!!!), what about the frost descending like fire in a room and people running from it?

The point is, we just accept this stuff for the sake of entertainment.

Anyway, on the point of the ice pick the roof was covered with ice, it was just a weak part that had given way, so the ice pick could still of stuck in the top layer of the ice without damaging the rest of the glass.

The Hollywood sign is a big enough cultural reference for people to care about it being blown away.  If a storm hit America tomorrow and took this down you can damn well bet it would reported, just as if New York was hit and the Statue of Liberty fell down.  Sure they would report the deaths, as the film did, but they would also make sure they told us the Statue had fell down.

Anyway, it was simply a 3/5, or 7/10 film for me, so Im not gonna defend it too vehemently.  :lol:

With the ice pick thing, you're wrong there. Dennis Quaid wipes away the top layer of snow to watch his mate cut the cord. It is a thin layer of sprinkles nothing more.

I can accept the whole two weeks till armaggeddon being missed, AT A PUSH. But I cant accept the movies focus on two human beings and american shitty landmarks that are 50 years old at the expense of the rest of the northern hemisphere. Not a single nod to all the fish that die when the current drops, not a nod to the tower of pisa or that art at the louvre thats now buried etc. The TV just happened to be showing the library rescue as dennis quaids wife is watching etc. The ecologists panicking that the eye was about to hit new york after it had just devestated america totally took the biscuit.

And with Squirtle's point about the villain, and subsequent responses. This is EXACTLY what is wrong with Roland Emmerrich movies. THE DISASTER IS SUPPOSED TO BE THE FUCKING VILLAIN. Thats the whole point of disaster movies and R.E. misses that point entirely, time and time again. Watch the poseidon adventure, Dante's peak or even fucking Daylight and you'll see that the movie revolves around people trying to escape the disaster and getting hampered at every turn by ratcheting conditions. In DAT the disaster is simply there for some rubbish set pieces where we get to see american landmarks get wrecked. After that the danger comes from a couple of wolves and a guy deliberately walking INTO THE WORST STORM IN HISTORY! We even see a guy rapel accross a metal beam bare handed in freezing conditions without a care in the world. I cant respect the storm if the characters in the film dont. And its not even the centre piece to their struggle, its just a set up for a bad rescue film. Aside of course from one unbelievably dumb scene where jake gyllenhal outruns frost!

I hate the argument that 'it's just a bit of fun'. Just cos its a summer blockbuster doesn't mean they dont even have to try. I mean think of the days when summer blockbusters meant films like Aliens, Men in Black, Die Hard, the Rock or even last years Pirates of the Carribean. A big summer movie can at least have a spark of wit, originality or even just a sense of adventure would do. DAT was just banal in the extreme. It was worse than the Avengers. The laziest movie I think i've ever seen.

Fucking awful.

Terrible stereotypes ("New York Tramp" providing colour commentry pissed me off almost as much as the English shit), CGI wolves, the continual mentioning of Europe as a single country, the blatant American-ness of the whole thing, the lack of a sense of loss for all the dead, and the sheer stupidity of everybody in New York ("I can't understand what she's saying, even though she's banging on the window!").

Don't worry though, cos "the royal family are being airlifted to safety."

"We have enough tea and biscuits to sink a ship."

"To Man UTD!!"

"To England."

And even the weather man on the English TV was speaking Queens English.

The best bit in the entire film was when the black kid was trying to fix the radio and the other guy asks him if maybe someone else should try.

His reply made me laugh quite a lot.

The best bit in the entire film was when the black kid was trying to fix the radio and the other guy asks him if maybe someone else should try.

His reply made me laugh quite a lot.

blah blah blah I'm a dick blah blah and you really think I can fix a radio cos I'm a member of some gay soriorety club!11!

blah blah blah I'm a dick blah blah and you really think I can fix a radio cos I'm a member of some gay soriorety club!11!

:ph34r: Yes! It was damn funny.

And yeah, that girl's well nice.

the blatant American-ness of the whole thing,

After the film finished, my wife saw someone in the toilets crying over "America being destroyed". Note, this was at a cinema in Redneck, TX.

Edited by dogbert