IGNORED

Family guy

DJ Sack

And don't get me started on the whole talking dog/baby thing, and yes I know they've lampooned people who don't "get" that, I just don't find it remotely funny.

Them talking isn't meant to be funny though. Simpsons is quite based on reality, but family guy has episodes where they meet death, or go back in time or see the world end etc. I do think Family guy is one of them you either love it or hate it shows, but more people love it than hate it.

As for the 'Remember that time when...' comment up above, it was bad when it first came back to TV but the latest episodes have stopped doing it and have gone back to how it originally was, where it'd either randomly happen or be linked to in a different way. But yes, it was bad, and annoying and im thankful South Park brought up the issue.

It's a geek's dream. The first two seasons have so many ridiculous references, it's like Spaced in a way (oddly enough a show I can only watch in very small doses because I hate the characters). After season three it's very hit and miss but I'll always love it for the Jonbenet Ramsay joke alone, and for that I shall go to hell.

The show now basically consists now of "Remember that time when [random event]?". It's pretty annoying tbh and got old really fast when it happens numerous times during a single episode.

Yep, wouldn't argue with that. See: the second chicken fight :)

It's a geek's dream. The first two seasons have so many ridiculous references, it's like Spaced in a way (oddly enough a show I can only watch in very small doses because I hate the characters).

It's an important requirement for enjoying a show isn't it. I like the characters in Spaced, and the references are my references, ergo I love it. I've never heard of Jonbenet Ramsay.

The other thing is that Family Guy tends to cover the references in specific scenes, flashbacks or whatever, whereas something like Spaced integrates them into the dialogue so that you can enjoy them if you spot them, and not feel left out if you don't. For example the "I can assure you that this is not in the least bit amusing" from American Werewolf.

It's an important requirement for enjoying a show isn't it. I like the characters in Spaced, and the references are my references, ergo I love it. I've never heard of Jonbenet Ramsay.

The other thing is that Family Guy tends to cover the references in specific scenes, flashbacks or whatever, whereas something like Spaced integrates them into the dialogue so that you can enjoy them if you spot them, and not feel left out if you don't. For example the "I can assure you that this is not in the least bit amusing" from American Werewolf.

I dunno about that. I watched one episode of Spaced with holly and was chuckling every 30 seconds, and she was just going "what?" all the time. like you would have been at the jonbenet ramsay scene I suppose.

hey ho you don't like FG, your loss, it's a damn funny show.

lol, that's one that popped into my mind - or that one where those 3 guys are singing in peter's house, but go on and on about him buying clothes for the women in his work and such... it went on for an age and it just wasn't funny - when i see that i can understand how people don't like family guy, but there are some moments that just no one could not laugh at, like when Peter forgets how to sit down etc

• 4 months later...

I haven't really enjoyed FG for a long time but I took Season 6 on the iPod on my trip and was in tears at the bit in Episode 3 where Peter is watching 'The Ring' on video at home. Thank god it can still get me like that on occasion, even if I must have looked a bit of a psycho.

I was thinking about this the other day. It's because they seem to have forgotten they created two worlds. World one is a normal one, where the family love each other and do normal things. World two is the crazy world where anything can happen but it's done like a dream sequence so it's okay. Now world one and two have collided and the real world is just like them dream sequences. Except it's filled with more, which just look the same as what happened before. Family guy is still enjoyable and funny, but i miss the first 3 series style.

I totally agree with Davros about this, everytime I watch Family Guy I sit there stony faced. The whole show reeks of effort and desperation, so intent are the writers on forcing the audience to laugh that every single pop-culture reference and joke is rammed down the audiences throats with zero subtlety, and that's even before they drag a joke which was never funny out over whole minutes. The whole 'this is like that time when' is like a recurring cue to the audience, 'get ready to laugh now!' and that the jokes can't even be properly integrated into the story but instead have to be forcibly inserted through self-conscious cutaways speaks volumes about the abilities of the writers. The pop-culture references are based on little more than stirring nostalgia within people who were around to witness them first hand or who feel special enough to get the obscure ones. There's little in the way of actual parody of the source material or anything more clever than 'hey, remember this old song/advert/tv show? Wasn't it great?! Look, it's in Family Guy now!' The writing is witless, the characters are hateful, the animation is shit. At least The Simpsons was directed with some visual flair in its heyday, Family Guy's animation is boring and sterile.

The scene that always stands out to me as encapsulating how pathetically written Family Guy is was in one episode where the kids sing the 'So Long, Farewell' song from The Sound Of Music. I kept waiting for a punchline that never came. It had nothing to do with the story, there was no joke, no new lyrics, no visual parody, it was literally just watching the kids sing an entire song from an old musical for no fucking reason. Absolutely pathetic.

I totally agree with Davros about this, everytime I watch Family Guy I sit there stony faced. The whole show reeks of effort and desperation, so intent are the writers on forcing the audience to laugh that every single pop-culture reference and joke is rammed down the audiences throats with zero subtlety, and that's even before they drag a joke which was never funny out over whole minutes. The whole 'this is like that time when' is like a recurring cue to the audience, 'get ready to laugh now!' and that the jokes can't even be properly integrated into the story but instead have to be forcibly inserted through self-conscious cutaways speaks volumes about the abilities of the writers. The pop-culture references are based on little more than stirring nostalgia within people who were around to witness them first hand or who feel special enough to get the obscure ones. There's little in the way of actual parody of the source material or anything more clever than 'hey, remember this old song/advert/tv show? Wasn't it great?! Look, it's in Family Guy now!' The writing is witless, the characters are hateful, the animation is shit. At least The Simpsons was directed with some visual flair in its heyday, Family Guy's animation is boring and sterile.

The scene that always stands out to me as encapsulating how pathetically written Family Guy is was in one episode where the kids sing the 'So Long, Farewell' song from The Sound Of Music. I kept waiting for a punchline that never came. It had nothing to do with the story, there was no joke, no new lyrics, no visual parody, it was literally just watching the kids sing an entire song from an old musical for no fucking reason. Absolutely pathetic.

YES

YES

YES

For a cartoon so "daring", it's very fucking sterile. It screams, "hey look we're controversial!" and for some reason people buy it, not noticing every live action comedy from the UK for about 50+ years. In terms of self-reference, it's horrific, which is why it needs so much pop stuff. And then pulls that off awfully. I mean, an episode devoted to Star Wars? To BttF (the episode being fucking horrific when it moved into BttF territory)? It's almost as if Seth MacFarlane (edit) cries at night wishing he'd made them because they were so widely appealling, and now he can because he's got this awful show to punch home how great he thinks he is.

It's almost as if Seth Green cries at night wishing he'd made them because they were so widely appealling, and now he can because he's got this awful show to punch home how great he thinks he is.

Wrong Seth. Seth Green is the chap from Buffy who voices Chris.

Seth MacFarlene is the chap behind it (but having watched an interview with him I can see him do what you said :rolleyes:)

Edit - Darn, Beertiger ;)