Total Recall

Kryptonian

Good film in a cheezy kid of way. Although I remember watching it last year and some of it had aged badly.

Yup, still worth viewing, but: crikey, it looks dated. It might be 14 years old, but it looks like more. Compared to the likes of Blade Runner, or even Brazil, which still hold up marvellously well, it's hard to think this was a mega-budget sci-fi flick when it first came out.

Oh, and if, like me, anyone else had a nagging feeling about where they'd seen Doug Quaid's portly bald co-worker before: he played Joey's dad in Friends.

And one more thing: like every big budget action film to feature The Governor Of California, I just can't help wondering how much better the film would be if the star of the movie could fucking ACT. If, say, a B. Willis or M.Gibson was playing the lead, it'd be much, much better.

I think it's fair to say that Total Recall did heavily influence The Matrix in terms of perception of reality/what is real? etc, but the same can be said of any movie...evar! But yes, the red pill thing did catch my attention, too.

Did anyone see the Total Recall TV series? Seriously - it was more like the Blade Runner TV series.

Did anyone notice 'play the Nintendo game' at the end of the credits?  What's the game like? Was it anything like the C64 version?

This from www.seanbaby,com:

Total Recall. A masterfully ruined idea for a video game from the king of unplayable movie games, Acclaim. In this waste of electricity, you're supposed to follow the plot of the movie, but I don't really remember in the movie where Arnold is yanked into an alley to do battle with midgets in pink jumpsuits. But to be honest, all I ever remember is the alien chick with three boobs.

Your character has an incredible number of moves at his disposal: both a jump, and a little thing he does that resembles a punch. These will both come in handy when you're trying to stay away from the six year olds that pop out of garbage cans to shoot at you. Also, look out for cars that drive by and throw baseballs at you. It's that kind of neighborhood.

I would tell you more about the game, but I quit playing it when I heard someone coming. I didn't want anyone to know I had Total Recall in my Nintendo.

b]Graphics: 1 The graphics in this game were as ugly as those psychic mutants from the faulty Mars domes. 

Fun: 1 When you get in a fight, most of your enemies' main attacks are hopping over your head over and over. I guess that's kind of fun. In a circus clown kind of way. 

Versatility: 4 Besides containing one of the worst games ever, the cartridge can also be used to fix a wobbly table, to act as a coaster, or even to bonk a participant on the head during a puppet show.

w20-tr1.gif

Sounds more like he was reviewing 'The Running Man'.

And one more thing: like every big budget action film to feature The Governor Of California, I just can't help wondering how much better the film would be if the star of the movie could fucking ACT. If, say, a B. Willis or M.Gibson was playing the lead, it'd be much, much better.

I have some vague recall(!) that Richard Dreyfuss had originally been meant to play Doug Quaid. I think that he'd have been a damn fine choice as the whole "highly-trained secret agent" bit would have been far more interesting if the character hadn't already looked like they could kick arse from the very beginning.

Fishy

EDIT: I was right.

Mark is terribly mistaken. I thought the special effects were fantastic. The mutants reminded me a lot of Cronenberg's body horror stuff, and everything was pretty convincing. To claim that the effects in Brazil (despite its obvious status as the best film ever made) are superior is mental.

Mark is terribly mistaken. I thought the special effects were fantastic. The mutants reminded me a lot of Cronenberg's body horror stuff, and everything was pretty convincing. To claim that the effects in Brazil (despite its obvious status as the best film ever made) are superior is mental.

It's the only film that gained Rob Bottin an Academy Award. The man's a true make-up legend. He's also responsible for most of the twisted stuff in The Thing, The Howling, Robocop and Se7en. I wonder what he's doing these days.

It's still an excellent film, in my opinion. It's got classic arnie lines and a decent story too. I like Verhoeven stuff myself though.

As for the game, it was ace on the CPC. Shit level 2 and 4 mind (pointless driving sections), but great platform shooter levels with lovely graphics for the Amstrad.

I was actually shocked by how violent this was. The scientist who gets a pole through his head was particularly shocking!

My favourite bit is where some guy gets his arms cut off by a lift thing that he was hanging on to.