IGNORED

R-Type

Shoes

I've been battling through this the past few days. It has been a right fucking bastard - even with infinate continues. It's incredibly satisfying to duff up a boss after you've spent five hours tryinng to get through the level and dodge the seemingly endless supply of bullets (those orange things with blue tops, that look like AT-STs off Star Wars can FUCK OFF). But the last level takes the proverbial rich tea. I managed to get through the first bit - after a few hours, natch - but the second bit is driving me NUTS. And, to top it all off, I died and have no power ups. Jesus.

So I'm working my way through it again. I'll have to use savestates.

Is there any point to this thread? No!

Guest Cecil McBee

The second half and boss of stage 7 is the games ultimate test..

..I found R-Type 2 ridiculously difficult - stage 4's where I got stuck...*wipes brow*

To you, maybe. But I'm not a 'shmup' buff. All of it is hard for me. Well, I can get to level 3 without losing a life.

Then you are a better man than me. It's all relative.

I had a fantastic night a week or two ago on all the RTypes I know of (except Delta) (1,2, 3, leo, final). They really are things of beauty. If I really had been at an arcade I would have spent a small fortune.

I haven't played the original R-type in ages !

I remember I could get really far on the spectrum version, but i'm not sure if I finished it.

I could Play it mame but I think I'll look around for Rtypes to have a proper go at it again.

I've always been rubbish at [i]R-Type[/i] but recently, upon getting the MAME, decided to see what the later levels were like via the invulnerability option...

Fuck me, anyone who could complete [b]that[/b] the normal, proper way is a fucking God as far as I'm concerned. The later levels were just insane, bullets and walls and things rushing up behind and crashing into you [i]everywhere[/i]. That game is so out of my league, it's embarrassing.

A large part of the "normal" way consists of playing it over and over and over again until you learn where everything is coming from. It's quite do-able with mere mortal reactions, as long as you have a lot of patience and a good memory.

See, I know where EVERYTHING is coming from. But I just don't think it possible to get past the second half of the last level. Unless you're some kind of games playing superhero (I wonder if Dave Perry can do it?).

Dave Perry isn't known for being especially good at shmups is he? Apparently he was good at Wipeout, but beyond that I think he's more famous/knowledgable than brilliant at playing games. I bet my Ikaruga skills are superior anyway...

As for R-Type, how many levels are there actually? I don't play with more than 1 credit at the moment (though I'll probably start using save states to practise specific levels eventually), and the furthest I can get is half way through level 5 in the one credit.

These games exploit the latent autism in males, for the worse or for the better - I really really want to see a hardcore female shooter expert. I can imagine the scales of the universe creaking into equilibrium.

*edited due to tag drunkeness*

These games exploit the latent autism in males, for the worse or for the better - I really really want to see a hardcore female shooter expert. I can imagine the scales of the universe creaking into equilibrium.

*edited due to tag drunkeness*

Oh man, that would be very cool. I demand more real, dingy, smokey, arcade holes!!!

Just away to d/l Mame version of R-Type and beast it into oblivion. Probably.

The ship is fairly easy, mainly because you get two power-ups at the start. Fire two fully chargeed shots into the jet thing (which fires round white bullets). Let it crash to the ground. Waste the guns on the top while the flame weapon gets the bastard thing on the bottom. Charge a shot and waste the turrets (and that turret block thing). Etc.

God, I'm saaad.

The motherships a piece of piss ...its level 5 that causes probs altho u can fly through the 'flowers' at the edge of the screen. Level 6 though, thats the daddy. And the last boss..well, iv never killed it yet. I even emailed EDGE at the time they did their R-TYPE feature asking how they beat it. Jason Brookes emailed me backl saying theyd used a cheat on R-TYPES on the psx to get the ending grabs.

I completed R-Type today. Piece of piss with power ups. I breezed through the first 5 levels within about an hour, without using savestates. Which I'm quite proud of. Level 6 wasn't THAT hard with laser weapons, and the boss was easy if you find the right place to go. The last level was tricky, but it was made slightly easier as I had those two sheilds. Boss was easy - just fire the thing into it's mouth and fire like fuck.

I'm going to attempt doing it using no savestates. But, I might end up slashing my wrists.