IGNORED

Xbox needs to be repaired

Cyhwuhx

I have two Xboxes and sent them both in for repairs a couple of months ago. One of them was returned with a new DVD drive the other one was swapped and all save games lost. So it depends really. Apparently they can't be arsed to copy savegames from the old drive to the new one. The memory card stores 500 blocks which is enough for 50 PGR saves or 1.3 halo save or 0.2 Kotor saves or 0.03 Otogi saves.

Cripes, how big are those Otogi saves?

Just out of interest, is there any device available that can save game saves and custom soundtracks without resorting to modifying the console and using FTP?.

As I said, with a regular memory card it is possible to get FTP access to your HD without modifying the Xbox in any way. Then copy whatever you want off it.

It is by using a hack, but it's not that complicated. If you've got a copy of Agent Under Fire, Splinter Cell, or Mechassault, and know someone who can put a saved game file onto your memory card for you, it's extremely easy.

If you have to learn how to do it from scratch like I did, it can make your head hurt quite a lot though.

.::: Great, so some files are even copy-protected? In that case I'll take my chances and forget about getting a card.

What you should have done:

Buy a memory card, a USB>Xbox control pad and MechAssault/Splinter Cell/007. You can then use an exploit to load up EvoX so you can FTP your saves to your PC HDD.

I sent mine off as it didnt load a game a couple of times, but played everything else fine.

Got it back, with a list of about 5 things that had "failed" - hard drive, dvd drive, motherboard, etc etc. Of course no saves left either :P

Apart from that, great service.

Interesting to note though, how the opinions of some people here are so hypocritical. Some people are VERY fast to talk about the PS2 laser issue - yes it happens of course, but I know of many people who still have their original launch machines in perfect working condition, whereas people seem to forgive MS when so many peoples Xbox dvd drives are failing...

.::: My PS2 is a first gen machine from before the launch and still works like a charm. This Xbox is actually the first faulty console I've had since I began gaming.

In other news, I've received word my 'box is coming back. I'll know what has happened to it as of Monday. :ph34r:

Interesting to note though, how the opinions of some people here are so hypocritical. Some people are VERY fast to talk about the PS2 laser issue - yes it happens of course, but I know of many people who still have their original launch machines in perfect working condition, whereas people seem to forgive MS when so many peoples Xbox dvd drives are failing...

Don't Sony charge a ridiculous amount to get it fixed or somthing?

Don't Sony charge a ridiculous amount to get it fixed or somthing?

Yes, but so do MS if it's out of warranty.

Guess I should of got a 2 year plan for mine. :ph34r:

Edit:Never mind. MS should fix the crappy Thompsons all for free IMO. It's hardly our fault if they decide to use inferior components.

As do Microsoft, anywhere between 60 and 80 to get the DVD drive fixed/replaced, just like Sony..

Ok, ok :ph34r:

I just thought it sounded alot just for a laser when I was told. Didn't know it was the standard cost :lol:

.::: Ok, got it back, saves intact, but... (there's always a but eh?)

Since when does Ninja Gaiden display THIS amount of tearing!? It was smooth with an occasional problem here and there but now I'm treated to two/three tearing lines when I move... Maybe I forgot a certain setting or something like that, but I havn't seen this amount of tearing since Deathrow.

More importantly, how the fuck could this happen?

My Xbox has been absolutely fine since launch, and has been chipped. New HDD soon!

The PS2 was the most returned console at the GS I worked at, it's such a shoddy product. Fair enough, the Xbox has some problems, but they get sorted out quickly, and more often than not will fix your machine if you've registered it with MS.

Edit: I mean they fix it outside of the warranty. Which is lovely of them.

My Xbox has been absolutely fine since launch, and has been chipped. New HDD soon!

The PS2 was the most returned console at the GS I worked at, it's such a shoddy product. Fair enough, the Xbox has some problems, but they get sorted out quickly, and more often than not will fix your machine if you've registered it with MS.

Edit: I mean they fix it outside of the warranty. Which is lovely of them.

Maybe you can tell Dieseljunkie about this then Cywuhx :)

Strange question, but if it's not the refresh-rate ( you sure it's not supposed to be 50 Hz? ) maybe it's overheating or something? :rolleyes:

Otherwise, just contact em back I guess...

Yep, my PS2 never had any problem ever, let's hope it stays that way :rolleyes:

But... but... have you tried to change it ? :rolleyes:

.::: Ok did so.. this is incredible...

I change it back to 50 >> tearing.

I change it back to 60 again>> tearing still.

I change it back to 50 >> tearing unlimited.

I give up put it back into 60 for my other games... (wait for it)

Tearing gone... (O_O)

What the FUCK have I just done?

I had a similar problem with my Xbox in that certain games would corrupt textures, which sounds similar to the specific instance of it only affecting one game for you. After sending it back they found that the motherboard was duff and needed to replace it. Send it back again :rolleyes: