Night of the Demon

Psycho

Quatermass and the Pit

Ring

Silence of the Lambs

Taste of Fear

INNIT, BO!

You plum tuckered soft horror fan.

Good topic all in all. Usually list threads are really shit. Some films popped up which I'd completely forgotten about / never seen, so that's aces.

Halloween has a great atmosphere, great music...

...but the movie is illogical, boring and not scary in the slightest. There's nothing to think about, and nothing to see.

Carpenter did atmosphere AND fear with The Fog.

R.

I couldn't disagree more. It's more scary and influential than about 99 percent of that list. But then again it's your list.

I couldn't disagree more. It's more scary and influential than about 99 percent of that list. But then again it's your list.

I liked it and it WAS influential. However the plot is a shambles and the suggested supernatural ending that they turn on Michael Myers is ridiculous.

I liked it and it WAS influential. However the plot is a shambles and the suggested supernatural ending that they turn on Michael Myers is ridiculous.

I have no problem with the implied supernatural ending, something that's open to debate. The plot is simple but that's not a problem. This film is all about mood, not about a brilliant plot. The film doesn't need it to be effective. It's simple story is a strength here, not a weakness.

Unlike many films in that list, it's a genuine horror classic and Michael Meyers is a real icon in film history.

'I met him, fifteen years ago. I was told there was nothing left. No reason, no conscience, no understanding; even the most rudimentary sense of life or death, good or evil, right or wrong. I met this six-year-old child, with this blind, pale, emotionless face and, the blackest eyes... the DEVIL'S eyes! I spent eight years trying to reach him, and then another seven trying to keep him locked up for I realized what was living behind that boy's eyes was purely and simply... EVIL!''

I have no problem with the implied supernatural ending, something that's open to debate. The plot is simple but that's not a problem. This film is all about mood, not about a brilliant plot. The film doesn't need it to be effective. It's simple story is a strength here, not a weakness.

Unlike many films in that list, it's a genuine horror classic and Michael Meyers is a real icon in film history.

'I met him, fifteen years ago. I was told there was nothing left. No reason, no conscience, no understanding; even the most rudimentary sense of life or death, good or evil, right or wrong. I met this six-year-old child, with this blind, pale, emotionless face and, the blackest eyes... the DEVIL'S eyes! I spent eight years trying to reach him, and then another seven trying to keep him locked up for I realized what was living behind that boy's eyes was purely and simply... EVIL!''

Seen The Fog?

It's all that mood with a simple story that makes sense.

And it's actually scary.

R.

I have no problem with the implied supernatural ending, something that's never made clear though. The plot is simple but that's not a problem. This film is all about mood, not about a brilliant plot. The film doesn't need it to be effective. It's simple story is a strength here, not a weakness.

I think it's a well made film. The scares are there and parts of it are really effective. But for me the plot is the key because what the film basically is, is Myers attacking victim after victim and nothing else. Which bored me a bit.

Hitchcock is delibratley over intelectual unartistic pish, and deserves no place in any horror list. Any good work he did was largely due to his over privilaged possition when he worked. He is the text book definition of over rated.

:P

This is thriller list talk, really.

Although his horror stuff was shite. The Birds is terrible.

With no ending.

R.

So Psycho is shite?

It deserves a mention for the shower sequence alone, a masterpiece of editing and music.

Hitchcock? All his best films were a million miles away from why he's currently lauded.

As for his psychological horror guff - pure pish.

The Birds? Utter rubbish. With no ending.

Vertigo? That worked quite well. Not really a horror, though.

I'll be doing my Curry List shortly.

The 50 best movies to watch with a curry. You know how that works...you're eating, you're laughing, you're maybe even drinking. The kind of films that work better with commentary from your mates.

R.

I'll scratch this down to his films mainly being thrillers or "suspense thrillers" as the industry prefers.

He's made a couple of masterpieces. A lot of very good films. And a tonne of shit films.

39. Suspiria: Not the most terrifying horror film ever made, but certainly one of the most beautiful. Dario Argento gives us a perfect blend of art and slash, and a movie that always has you expecting the very, very worst.

best opening murder setpiece EVER!! - fucking incredible soundtrack, and the amount of hidden symbolism in this movie is ridiculous.. even blood spatters on the floor in certain scenes were intentionally poured and splashed to create symbols of witchcraft....

I love the way the doornobs are placed really high up on the doors to make the girls seem more childlike... wonderful touch.. one of argento's finest moments

Comedy zombie.

Hammy performance (Frankenstein).

A really dire ending.

Flat characterisations.

However, it does have amazing gore effects, and Joe Pilato as Rhodes....

R.

It also has a fantastic opening IMO with the dead city (although the speed and impact of the DotD remakes opening probably pips it to the post).

The thing I dislike about Day of the Dead is that some of the zombies are given too much character, i.e. the one chained up in the lab who gets all sullen and surly, and then appears suprised when the lights are turned out. IMO zombies are far more frightening when they resemble nothing more than reanimated corpses who's only drive is to feed on the flesh of the living. Providing them with vestiges of what they used to be dulls the edge of the fear.

The Louis zombie at the beginning of the Dawn of the Dead remake is truly terrifying in it's lack of humanity and ravenous desire for flesh.

Fishy