BigLime's Horror Fifty

biglime

True, but it's not the zombies throwing the pies is it.

Fishy

Well, no. But it obviously dilutes the tension a little bit! He likes humour in his gory zombie flicks, does old George. I love Day of the Dead, too. I think it's fantastic, and almost as funny as Dawn.

new nightmare is to scream as American Ring is to Japanese Ring - tighter, and more exciting for it. The REALLY crummy effects in NN let it down SOOO much. hell, even Freddy vs jason is better.

Overall, a reasonable list, I suppose. I don't agree with half of it, but it's biglime's view, and in that respect, it's not 'definitive' in any way. We're all unique snowflakes and all that bollocks.

3. Invasion of the Body Snatchers: The remake. One of two Donald Sutherland movies on the list.

Does anyone know if there was a second remake of the original film of this?

I saw a film a few years ago on like BBC2 or C4 which I think was called Invasion Of The Bodysnatchers, but its not that one set in San Francisco. It was on like a military base and basically the families living on the base all get turned 1 by 1 into aliens by these alien pods planted in their homes by soldier-turned-aliens. They do the same point/scream thing when they discover the people trying to escape. At the end this guy and girl escape in a helicopter then they blow the crap out of loads of the aliens.

It looks like it was made in the 80s/early 90s, but I can't find it at all on imdb.com

Its really bugging me :P

Does anyone know if there was a second remake of the original film of this?

I saw a film a few years ago on like BBC2 or C4 which I think was called Invasion Of The Bodysnatchers, but its not that one set in San Francisco. It was on like a military base and basically the families living on the base all get turned 1 by 1 into aliens by these alien pods planted in their homes by soldier-turned-aliens. They do the same point/scream thing when they discover the people trying to escape. At the end this guy and girl escape in a helicopter then they blow the crap out of loads of the aliens.

It looks like it was made in the 80s/early 90s, but I can't find it at all on imdb.com

Its really bugging me :P

Body Snatchers.

Abel Ferrara.

Not bad, actually, but nowhere near the same class as the first remake.

R.

Hang on. I've only just noticed that the REMAKE of Invasion of the Body Snatchers is in the list.

The Original is FAR FAR FAR FAAAAAR superior.

Utterly wrong.

And besides, the original fits more easily into the sci-fi genre, due to the themes it deals with and the approach it takes to them.

R.

Ouch.

Do you really want me to go through your list and pick out the duffers? Eh?

And I didn't suggest it, I defended it. There's a difference.

You can do that if you like. The list isn't to be considered gospel.

Oh, and you defended Ring as being 'an effective horror movie' or something like that.

That was always my point with the film. It isn't. It suffers the same fate as Halloween. Some lovely atmosphere. Some cracking tense moments.

But ultimately, nothing. Absolutely nothing.

R.

Oh, and you defended Ring as being 'an effective horror movie' or something like that.

Nope, I said it had one of those 'horror moments'. Which it has.

The thing I don't get is that you admit it has:

'Some lovely atmosphere. Some cracking tense moments.'

yet films that have NEITHER happily make it in. Some consistency, eh?

Anyway, it's your list and I've had fun shooting the shit, that's what counts.

It'd be a boring thread if we all agreed, no?

All in good time...

The great thing about action is that it covers so many subgenres. From the heroic bloodshed of Hard Boiled to the Wild West of the Wild Bunch and from historical epics like Spartacus and Ben Hur to martial arts flicks like Fist of Legend. From ancient Japan in The Seven Samurai to New York City in Die Hard. Could be the best thread ever.

The great thing about action is that it covers so many subgenres. From the heroic bloodshed of Hard Boiled to the Wild West of the Wild Bunch and from historical epics like Spartacus and Ben Hur to martial arts flicks like Fist of Legend. From ancient Japan in The Seven Samurai to New York City in Die Hard. Could be the best thread ever.

unless he decides to do seperate threads on each sub-genre...

Nice one big mouth :P

unless he decides to do seperate threads on each sub-genre...

Nice one big mouth :P

That would be too hard. There aren't that many great heroic bloodshed movies and historical epics. Troy my arse. Last of the Mohicans is ace though.

You can do that if you like. The list isn't to be considered gospel.

That was always my point with the film. It isn't. It suffers the same fate as Halloween. Some lovely atmosphere. Some cracking tense moments.

But ultimately, nothing. Absolutely nothing.

R.

But surely all the best horror films need is to be able to horrify and scare you. To leave an impression on the viewer that is hard to shake off. Both Halloween and Ringu achieve this. Whether they are about something deeper is neither here nor there. Their strength lies in the fact that beneath the surface their is nothing but blackness and despair. No hope, no redemption. Nothing, as you rightly say. To knock them for this seems to be missing the point of both films.

But surely all the best horror films need is to be able to horrify and scare you. To leave an impression on the viewer that is hard to shake off. Both Halloween and Ringu achieve this. Whether they are about something deeper is neither here nor there. Their strength lies in the fact that beneath the surface their is nothing but blackness and despair. No hope, no redemption. Nothing, as you rightly say. To knock them for this seems to be missing the point of both films.

I agree. If a horror film leaves an impression and scares, it deserves to be on the list, whether it carries an effective story or not.

• 11 months later...