BigLime's Horror Fifty

biglime

THE HORROR FIFTY

17. Dust Devil: Stunningly original, beautifully shot. An occult classic.

R.

I watched this last night and really enjoyed it. The Dustdevil himself is a great bad-guy, really cool and menacing and the cop chasing him is brilliant too. I loved the isolation and the way the town was just wasting away, letting the Dustdevil come in and take the souls. Good cast, directing, atmosphere and locations.

It’s a really good film.

I watched this last night and really enjoyed it. The Dustdevil himself is a great bad-guy, really cool and menacing and the cop chasing him is brilliant too. I loved the isolation and the way the town was just wasting away, letting the Dustdevil come in and take the souls. Good cast, directing, atmosphere and locations.

It’s a really good film.

There's a four disc special edition out somewhere. The film about the making of the film (and post-production/release) could make a film itself. And that's without including all the weird Island of Dr Moreau stuff!

Rab should finish this list really.

And the curry list.

And the action list.

In fact, he should put his whole life on hold and spend 100% of his time posting here.

Or he could throw a few hot dogs in SeanR's direction to finish it for him. He's already here all the time.

I like that Fox feels the need to point out that a dog with a human face is "wierd".

Fair's fair, it could have been a weird dog to begin with that later gained a human face. Now, what other film am I thinking of that has a dog with a human face? The Mephisto Waltz? I've never seen it, but I seem to recall a still in a horror movie book of a doberman or something similar with a human mask on. Oh, that's going to drive me nuts. I've been looking for something to drive me nuts all day, and here it is.

THE HORROR FIFTY

50. Wes Craven's New Nightmare: A horror movie that says more about horror movies than any horror movie ever made. For all the praise that the terrible Scream garnered for its self-awareness, this film went there first and did it better. It's utterly convincing, a totally out-there concept taken completely seriously, and features a finale which is Lovecraft crossed with Labyrinth. The greatest Nightmare on Elm Street movie, and a perfect way to close the list.

R.

A very interesting list biglime. You have great taste.

However, 'NOES 3 - Dream Warriors' was the best Elm Street movie.

Also, where is Stuart Gordon's wonderful 'From Beyond'?

Ive seen a lot of these, but theres also a number I need to seek out, good list.

I would of put Videodrome in, and also possibly Scanners. For its outright nastiness, even 20+years or so on, Cannibal Holocaust would be on there - I saw it in my early teens and it was (and is) the only movie I ever turned off because it was too horiffic. Its the original documentary styled movie, later on seen with theBlair Witch. Another modern movie Id include, although I guess you could argue its not horror per se, is Wolf Creek - once things get moving its a perfect example of horror as it should be, unsettling, tense and unpredictable.

Ill probably be laughed at, I watched it recently and it was much less effecitve, but the short story Nightmare at 30000 feet taken from the feature length Twilight Zone - The Movie, was one that scared the hell out of me as a kid. That creature on the wing of the plane destroying its engines, that only he, John Valentine could see - almost made me not wanna fly :angry:

I forget, which Creepshow had the story about that Tazmanian Devil inside the Crate - I think its the second, but if it was the first I totally agree with the choice as that story was great.