Halo 2 Capture the Flag Footage

InsideOutBoy

I stumbled across this preview of Halo 2 some of you may have missed:

http://games.kikizo.com/news/200405/046.asp

It’s quite good. It talks about what it’s like to play a Capture the Flag game from the point of view of a gamer, rather than the usual IGN style ‘just list the features’.

I love the sound of Capture the Flag now:

In a simple but utterly amazing twist on the old CTF theme, the defending team could not return the flag once it had been removed from their base. If you iced the offending flag-stealer, the flag stayed where it was dropped. The defenders would basically set up a new defense perimeter and the attackers would try to break the lines and move the flag incrementally forward.

But even better than that are the 2 very short videos of the actual match in action.

The third video down is short but oh-so sweet.

(Scroll right to the bottom for the videos).

EDIT: Apparently not a new twist on CtF, but nice videos anyway.

In a simple but utterly amazing twist on the old CTF theme, the defending team could not return the flag once it had been removed from their base. If you iced the offending flag-stealer, the flag stayed where it was dropped. The defenders would basically set up a new defense perimeter and the attackers would try to break the lines and move the flag incrementally forward.

now forgive me if i'm wrong but isnt this "amazing twist" already present in halo?

now forgive me if i'm wrong but isnt this "amazing twist" already present in halo?

Yes. Yes it is.

It's an option in the CTF gametype you change so the flag can't be returned. It makes the game so much more fun and tense.

It's how it should be played. Thanks to the games at your place for showing me that :P

Thanks to the games at your place for showing me that  :P

Dont thank me i was merely the host.....i dont have a clue about setting up various halo game types really.

Anyway its quite alarming that this isnt the first report of this amazing twist on capture the flag.

Hahaha i was going to mention it to make you feel bad but i thought i'd better not saying as theres no mark there at all. Shame the house smells like a fucking brewery still*.

*not really.

Anyway some of that footage is quite nice however its all too short to really check out whats actually going on.

It's an option in the CTF gametype you change so the flag can't be returned. It makes the game so much more fun and tense.

I missed out on the original Halo multiplayer unfortunately so that's news to me.

But that Capture the Flag thingy sounds so ace I'll have to tempt some mates into playing Halo again.

I missed out on the original Halo multiplayer unfortunately so that's news to me.

But that Capture the Flag thingy sounds so ace I'll have to tempt some mates into playing Halo again.

Its almost a little bit like playing rugby i find (i've never played rugby in my life).

It is very good.

Esp on Blood Gulch or Hang em High [or anything really!] when you and someone is defending the flag in the middle of the map and the other team are desperately trying to get a touch on it. I delight in hanging back with the Sniper Rifle shooting them as they're within 2-3m of it :P

It did go against us though when it was in our Base on BG and Heavy Metal must have killed our whole team about 4 times with the shotgun without us getting a touch on it. Time expired [15 secs or whatever] and then it returned :o

On the subject of the footage, it's great when it starts, suddenly Halo 2 is actually a game, not just a load of promo screenshots and videos.

Also, nice to see the vehicle jacking in action in a real game, and it doesn't look too hard. In all the game looked intense. And it looked, as I suspected, like I will be utterly useless in multiplayer.

From the video movement seems a bit speedier now. It looks like you can walk around like normal guy but still moon jump.

I can also sense some grudge wars occuring when your vehicle gets jacked. The first thing I'd want to do is knock the person back out and teach the cheeky sod a lesson. That could go back and forth for hours. :)

And am I'm wrong, but can you only get the flag to stay where it drops for 10 seconds in the first Halo? I can't see an option to get it to stay on the ground for any longer than that...