To the 5 Boroughs leak

Rin

It's not very good.

FUCKING HELL.

Ch-Check it Out is the best song (No, really).

Triple Trouble and An Open Letter to NYC are possible singles. A few others are ok...

Very produced and very electronic, overall. It's missing that special kick.

Oh man this is so disheartening. Over to you, Clive...

Find it on your favourite P2P program now.

Torrent:

http://torrent.youceff.com/download.php?file=384330

Very produced and very electronic, overall. It's missing that special kick.

Just had a quick listen to it. I'm not hugely impressed.

Looks like they've been using Reason. If you're at all familiar with it then you'll be able to hear the bits where they've used it. Slack.

I've listened through it once. It's pretty bad.

There are a few decent tracks, but even they dont stand out too much from the rest.

All the tracks are too similar. The beats are similar, the rhyme structure is similar, even a lot of the lyrics are similar (how many times do they need to mention their Grandma?). They generaly just take turns at doing a verse, come in with a crap stuttering hook, and mix master mike does a bit of scratching in between. The appeal for the beastie boys, for me, was the way the three of them rapped as one, finishing each others lines, overlapping verses. They don't do that at all any more.

I think it suffers with the lack of any "filler" tracks like Hello Nasty had. It makes the similarities even more obvious.

Maybe i'll grow to like it with time, but i d-doubt it.

Your rhyme technique, it is antique.

Well, I'm only 5 tracks in, but I'll post my initial thoughts.

I'm clearly not listening to the same album as you guys, no way, unless the album takes a dramatic u-turn after this you need your ears cleaning out. Put bluntly, this is the illinest, chillinest, dopest stuff I've heard in years.

It's like they mashed up an alternative hip hop timeline, one in which hip hop grew directly out of Electro and continued along those lines for 10 years.

'Right, Right Now' takes off directly from where Hello Nasty finished off, solid beats backed by harpsicord loops which underpin WuTangesque sampling sensibilities.

'The Hard Way'. 'Rick Rubin beats' over 'Electro 2'. It's the track that Mantronix and the Beastie Boys never made. The icing on the cake is the "We gonna Free the Hard Way" sample which hammers out over the 808 beats. Sure, it's been used before, but not as so directly and as effectively as we hear on this track.

'It Take Time'. This track just drives, with chugging multi-layered 80's Korg sythn lines pushing it ever forward. Just when you think you've got the oldskool groove nailed they drop the hook from EPMD's 'Strictly Business' into the mix. Astonishing.

'Rhyme the Rhyme Well'. Just listen to that ominous chord sequence. This is how the Beastie's sound in a Walter Hill or John Carpenter film. Or even rocking the mic at a Blade Runner convention. Just listen to Mix Master Mike's subtle tranform scratching of Chuck D toward the end. This track has more atmosphere than 100 planet earths.

'Triple Trouble'. C'mon Jesus, how anyone could dislike this track? It's cheekey and mischievous, brutally sampling 'Rappers Delight' and showing us that the boys haven't lost their sense of humour. The clever reworking of some of the lyrics add depth to an otherwise fun, but funky slice of hip hop.

Y'know, they knocked 'Paul's Boutique' when it came out. I've a feeling this album is also little ahead of it's time. I expect you all back here at the end of summer with a revised 'Top 5 beastie album' list. Actually, let me listen to the rest of the album. Perhaps I shouldn't jump to such conclusions. I'll be back later on this afternoon.

I have to say though, this is a very promising start.

Getting better with every listen. Putting Pauls Boutique on this week a few times was a bad move, but it's being wiped over.

Of course, the usual anal tendancies are going to piss all over this album. "It's shit! Teh old stuff si bettar!".

Yeah, this isn't letting up. I'm really, really feeling this.

The unsure need to crank it up a little and play it over a few times if you're not quite getting yet. But it will come, I'm confident of that.

Fabulous.

EDIT: Wow! They've hyper speeded up some track and then used it as the main backing sample on the 'Open letter to NYC' track. I've never heard that been done before. That's damn clever.

I'm with Venice...I was supremely unsure on the first listen...but it's growing on me.

I think I have to say the same.

I always thought Rhyme The Rhyme Well was great, but a few other tracks are getting better with every listen. I've liked Open Letter To NYC too ever since i heard some samples from it. I have the track it samples somewhere. I listened to the album the first time with headphones, it sounds a lot better just coming through my speakers.

I think i was in a bad mood this morning, but still, i can't see this ever being Paul's Boutique 2.

I only had one listen last night. I said to someone that I hope it's a grower. Given it another try this morning, but I'm still not feeling it. I think some of it is quite good, and some of it really really rubbish.

I can't even currently pick a favourite. I seem to be playing 'It takes time to build' over and over again though. My neck is going to be aching in the morning if my head doesn't stop nodding like this.

Edit: Is that a sample from a 'Defender' documentary or something? (the talking at the end of 'It takes time to build').

The first 10 second of this track is the best thing i've heard all week.

I think its fucking ace - Maybe thats cos im a techno kid?

It makes sense, Techno grew largely out of the Electro sound of the early 80's. It's where Hip Hop and House separated and became two distinct music forms. That's why I mentionded the 'alternate electro timeline' thing earlier.

I was an oldskool technohead as well, so I get double the pleasure.

I'm totally totally with VC on this. Super duper back to basics beats and rhymes.

No wanky live instruments that, for me, spoilt the last few albums. Each track is fast paced and in your face. Definately not something to chill out to or put on in the back ground.

I took it out on an extended drive earlier and you really need to hear some of the basslines cranked up. I didn't reach for the skip button once.

I'm really chuffed with it and can't wait till it comes out officially.

If you love your hip-hop old skool electronic style, you should be gagging for more at the end of it all.

Top marks to the Boys.

Right, I've just slowed down the opening 'notes' of 'Open letter' (the super-speeded up sample that sort of forms a tune) and it appears to be the entire track itself, speeded up and placed back into the song. Hard to explain, but pretty innovative.

I'm going to experiment further with it. I've taken 'Pauls Boutique' to pieces like this and found the odd hidden message or obscure breakbeat tucked away.

I'd like to hear a little more love here for 'Oh Word?' as well.... any takers?

Its ace, deepest drum lines in any Beastie's album ever? I think so.

Like Benny has pointed out, you need a decent system or failing that a decent set of 'phones to enjoy this album to its full potential.

Right, I've just slowed down the opening 'notes' of 'Open letter' (the super-speeded up sample that sort of forms a tune) and it appears to be the entire track itself, speeded up and placed back into the song. Hard to explain, but pretty innovative.

I'm going to experiment further with it. I've taken 'Pauls Boutique' to pieces like this and found the odd hidden message or obscure breakbeat tucked away.

I tried to figure out what had done earlier, by comparing the two tracks, and it is pretty amazing.

I tried to figure out what had done earlier, by comparing the two tracks, and it is pretty amazing.

Are you starting to warm a little more then?

The intro slowed down -36 semitones. Sounds like there's another layer in there at a different pitch too.

Amazing stuff.

Ooo, cheers. Yeah that's the puppy. I'm sure some clever maths will explain why 16-speeding (?) 4 bars and placing them back over the original sample work musically.

Actually, I remember that the aphex twin once speeded up a track to 1/100 of a second and used it as a single beat 'hit' for another track.