To the 5 Boroughs leak

Rin

Fuck that - I've always considered myself an indie kid.

...and then last week some time I realised that I haven't actually bought a guitar-based album that was made within the last 4 years.

One of my housemates calls me the "white middleclass hip-hop superstar".

I couldn't even remember why I'd decided that Rubber Soul was my favourite Beatles album :ph34r:

I think I just had an epiphany.

It's all perfectly understandable though (as I was discussing with someone else on PM). Beastie fans have been buying their records for half of their lives now.

They attach every single album to a different period of their lives, and this creates a great affection for each album. Given that there is typically 5 years between albums, that's a long time for each album to grow on an individual, and they'll have played it 100's and 100's of times.

Each album is pretty much unique with a 'new' sound, and it's never what you expect. It's scarey and new and the defenses go up.

I remember the critical drubbing that 'Paul's Boutique' got (one magazine saying "they haven't even bothered this time around") and it only sold 100,000 copies in the first two years. It's now hailed as a masterpiece.

'Hello Nasty' met with a similar fate. All the Beastie fans wanted the guitar and punk numbers of 'Ill Communication' back. And here we are 5 years later with a fondly remembered album that still gets played regularly.

I'm pretty sure we'll still be playing this album years from now, and it'll always remind us of 'this summer' or 'that girlfriend'.

Embrace the Electro ninja funk.

Hmmm just checked the tracklist on Play.com and it doesn't have Now Get Busy.

Shame, it's an ace track.

Its only on the Japanese release. They always get an extra track or two with their albums. It will be a B-Side on one of the singles.

The B-Side from Ch-Check It Out ("And Then I"), is pretty rubbish and hasnt grown on me at all. The Just Blaze remix of CIO is awesome though.

The B-Side from Ch-Check It Out ("And Then I"), is pretty rubbish and hasnt grown on me at all. The Just Blaze remix of CIO is awesome though.

Whereas I think the exact opposite. I can't stand the Just Blaze mix at all, but I like ATI's Parappa-ness.

Reminds me of when Radiohead went all "producey" and electronic with Kid A.

I hated it at first. About 10 listens later it was my favourite album.

There's hope yet!

I'm as scared of the 'new' as the next old geezer.

"Build it, and they will come". It'll click for you in the middle of next week.

Mike D's getting better. He was always the weakest vocalist of the three IMO, sounds like he's finally nailed a style of his own. Ad Rock seems to have gone a bit 'serious'. It suits.

Liking it so far...I can see this being played a lot...

Like I said earlier, and everyone started copying me, because I am the best ever- it's blooming into a subliiiiiiiiiiiime piece of work.

It sounds like they just kept shaving the excess of each track until it was the slick, fucking wickedness that they've ended up with.

I think the come down from the last album to this was the difficulty hurdles for this. 'Ch-Check it Out' is the fastest paced tune too, and the rest of the album grumbles along- another obstacle.

'Triple Trouble' is dancalicous- next single if you're asking me. Possible one of their funkiest numbers, I mean the cowbell!

'Rhyme The Rhyme Well' is my fav as of now. It's haunting, really dark and looming. And for some reason reminded me of the spooky bit in Conkers Bad Fur Day...<_<

It's certainly their darkest album, like they've been spending far too much time hanging around Rick Rubin's haunts. And possibly living in his beard.

'We Got The' was the first track I loved...but now I'm beginning to hate it. It doesn't sit well with the rest of the album. It threatens to do something amazing. 'It Takes Time To Build' starts well, and delivers. Hard.

How did everyone 'acquire' it? The Torrent MP3s are disappointingly low quality, I need to feel the beats <_<

"My Zodiac sign is Scorrrrpiiiooooooooo"

'Triple Trouble' is dancalicous- next single if you're asking me. Possible one of their funkiest numbers, I mean the cowbell!

I've probably listened to this 20 times today and it's fucking wonderful.

I love their Dick Van Dyke English accent pisstakes. Absolute Solid Gold no.1.