To the 5 Boroughs leak

Rin

sorry no this album is just average nothing special the production is avergae the lyrics, well the beastie boys shold go back to being a fun band not something serious!

I thought it was nice how they acknowledged they weren't 21 anymore. Can't really see them inverting, ever.

It's occured to me that the Beasties' production on 5 Boroughs owes a lot to the Neptunes' sound. I'm talking about their more minimal stuff (eg. Grindin' by Clipse and Light Ya Ass On Fire by Busta Rhymes).

Sounding particularly Neptunesy:

It Takes Time To Build

Rhyme The Rhyme Well

Hey Fuck You

That's It That's All (the start to this is basically the same intro to the original version of Lapdance)

Shazam! (This really reminds me of that Ass Lighting Busta Rhymes tune)

Crawlspace

I'm thinking it's the combination of raw, crispy drums and squelchy synth stabs.

I must add I think it's superb. Apart from the quality of the music I have to mention how nice the digipack is. A brilliant minimalist design with a good feel just makes it feel more special.

Best track for me would have to be An Open letter to NYC. I've had the album under a week and I already know that off by heart back to front. Top notch stuff.

Also for those interested, all old Beastie Boys stuff is 2 for 11.99 on Play.com but I dunno how Delorian this is.

My favourite track is currently 'All Lifestyles' - Eminem tempo + Beasties lyrics = work of genius. It's a wicked album - I discarded it after a week when the new Orbital one came out but I'm now totally back to the 5 boroughs (y'all).

I like the album very much but I'm a little worried about some side effects age seems to have on the beastie boys.

They made a PR gig in Paris a few weeks back, and :

- they asked the attendance not to dance too much.

- no smoking allowed.

- the bar was closed during the gig.

Are they slowly becoming the Lou Reed of rap?

;)

I like the album very much but I'm a little worried about some side effects age seems to have on the beastie boys.

They made a PR gig in Paris a few weeks back, and :

- they asked the attendance not to dance too much.

- no smoking allowed.

- the bar was closed during the gig.

That's disgraceful. I'd have left.

No, I'm being serious. I'd be furious. I've grown to really pity the Beastie Boys the more they get up on their passive monk-bothering and lecturing. Hip-hop isn't about being a sap. When they pleaded with the Prodigy not to play Smack My Bitch Up at a Scottish festival a few years back they came out looking like a bunch of old ladies.

No, I'm being serious. I'd be furious. I've grown to really pity the Beastie Boys the more they get up on their passive monk-bothering and lecturing. Hip-hop isn't about being a sap. When they pleaded with the Prodigy not to play Smack My Bitch Up at a Scottish festival a few years back they came out looking like a bunch of old ladies.

Some high-five pic then.

They did that, the smack my bitch up thingy? Shame.

• 1 month later...

Funny what time can do. I've finally got around to listening to the CD. It's like a totally new experience. I'm never fucking judging an album on my crap PC sound again. I didn't think it had any kick or beat, but it's incredible. Still a few tracks I dislike, but there's plenty of love here. It's really really wicked when it's LOUD.

Sorry about that. My bad.