Star Wars Galaxies

InsideOutBoy

If this is good - http://starwarsgalaxies.station.sony.com/expansions.jsp then I truly think it is the best game ever. Right now it's possibly the best game ever :)

Just think how good it'll be when 10 of us from here are doing something cool like defending a rebel base from IMPERIAL SCUM invasion.

As I said before in the now deleted E3 thread, I don't see what the big deal is with the expansion pack. A tacked on space combat game from what I can see. SWG could do with quite a few new planets and some improvements to the technical side of things would be nice instead.

I recently purchased the game and played it for a week or so.

I canceled my account last week.

I simply don't have enough time to play it properly. I'd love to be bale to spend 2-3 hours a nigth on it, but the truth is my time is valuable and I don't want to get in the position ofgoing out with my mates and feeling guilty because I could be hunting nerfs or something.

It also takes time to do stuff, get into groups, organise your plans etc.

As I said before in the now deleted E3 thread, I don't see what the big deal is with the expansion pack. A tacked on space combat game from what I can see. SWG could do with quite a few new planets and some improvements to the technical side of things would be nice instead.

Don't forget the new jedi questing. Reserve judgement til then.

Don't forget the new jedi questing. Reserve judgement til then.

Hmmm, I only ever mastered one profession, so my Jedi questing would literally take years to complete going by the time it currently takes me to master something. :)

Hmmm, I only ever mastered one profession, so my Jedi questing would literally take years to complete going by the time it currently takes me to master something. :D

My hope is that the quests will employ the same team spirit as encouraged by such games as PSO. So that no matter what your profession, teaming up will help ALL no matter what their rank to progress to jedi, with each gaining equal reward within the group.

It should still come down to a matter of hours put in = progress, but a much more social + enjoyable progress all the same.

Here's hoping.

My download seems to have stopped after 560MB. It is sitting there at 27% complete and a transfer rate of zero. I've never used this File Planet thing. If I close it down or anything and then try to start again will it keep my 27% and continue or will it attempt to start from the beginning again? What if I change servers?

That is a good thing. IE broke and closed everything 500mb in. Panic ensued before I found out that it would resume from where I left off. Now I just have to worry about NTL ass raping me for downloading 2gb in a day. Do they still have the 1gb thing?

TTFN

Is anyone else having problems downloading this? someone mentioned it on the first page. ive signed up for 3 accounts with 3 different names/emails, they all seem to verify fine, but when i try and download the file it tells me I'm not logged in.

when i click "log in" and enter details, i get "no such user" error. even though on the page before it said I was logged in!

anyone else get this? how did they get around it?

Is anyone else having problems downloading this? someone mentioned it on the first page. ive signed up for 3 accounts with 3 different names/emails, they all seem to verify fine, but when i try and download the file it tells me I'm not logged in.

when i click "log in" and enter details, i get "no such user" error. even though on the page before it said I was logged in!

anyone else get this? how did they get around it?

You're clicking on the ones for people with a subscription, scroll down and there should be some downloads with waiting times.

downloaded it... tried it out.. haven't a scoob what to do... wandered around mos eisley which was populated with about 5 folks, none of whom were remotely interested in actually playing the game... shot at some things at my feet for a wee bit... got bored and haven't got back to it.

I'm sure it gets better, but I just don't have the time to devote to it, first impressions aren't good.

My hope is that the quests will employ the same team spirit as encouraged by such games as PSO. So that no matter what your profession, teaming up will help ALL no matter what their rank to progress to jedi, with each gaining equal reward within the group.

It should still come down to a matter of hours put in = progress, but a much more social + enjoyable progress all the same.

Here's hoping.

It should be the same for all quests but the 'buff' system encourages soloing. You don't actually need any help to complete most missions and that is wrong.

So anyway, I just got this downloaded last night, and played about on it today.

It seems pretty cool, I've never played an MMORPG before, so I'm pretty wowed by the whole "big world with lots of people". It seems cool though, I just ran about the Tatooine desert shooting rubbish creatures.

I joined the Kettemore server though - what planet is this Rllmuk group on?

You're clicking on the ones for people with a subscription, scroll down and there should be some downloads with waiting times.

cheers, i got that sorted,

i am finding installing this thing such a pain in the arse, first it wouldn't send me the trial key (because i was using Firefox, i eventually found out)

and now, after it took about an hour to install and re-started my PC, it started downloading something else... "station"? or something.

and now its asking me for an "account key" and the box it gives me has far too many spaces for the 6 digit "trial key" i got earlier

help me, how do i get this "account key"?

cheers, i got that sorted,

i am finding installing this thing such a pain in the arse, first it wouldn't send me the trial key (because i was using Firefox, i eventually found out)

and now, after it took about an hour to install and re-started my PC, it started downloading something else... "station"? or something.

and now its asking me for an "account key" and the box it gives me has far too many spaces for the 6 digit "trial key" i got earlier

help me, how do i get this "account key"?

I think you may have thought the trial key was the thing on the odd green graphic with stuff going on all over it. It wasn't. You had to enter that code into a box just below the graphic and then you get given your proper account/trial code.

downloaded it... tried it out.. haven't a scoob what to do... wandered around mos eisley which was populated with about 5 folks, none of whom were remotely interested in actually playing the game... shot at some things at my feet for a wee bit... got bored and haven't got back to it.

I'm sure it gets better, but I just don't have the time to devote to it, first impressions aren't good.

I have to agree with this. I have created a Marksman who is currently in Moss Eisley on the Chimaera server (Amanset G'Fair if you fancy saying hi). I have experience of MMORPGs (I was an EQ addict for two years) and I am surprised at the lack of interaction with others. I played last night and a fair amount this morning and the only interaction I had watching someone dance, going to the hospital and asking someone for help with a Bazaar Terminal.

So basically, all I do at the minute is take long range shots at minor creatures with a rifle from a lying position and then when it gets closer I stand and use a pistol. When I get bored of that I do a mission to get money, but unfortunately the only ones I seem to be able to have any chance of doign just seem to consist of running to one person in the space port to get something and then running to someone else to give them it.

I'm also having difficulty finding new weapons. All the Bazaar Terminals seem to have are the basic weapons whereas I have now got Rifle 1 and Pistol 1 and so wouldn't mind using a slightly better weapon.

Then there's the fact that with my 512MB, P4/2GHz with Geforce3 Ti500 it plays like complete arse. I have turned it down to the lowest resolution and refresh rate and turned off as much as I can and still the framerate is trully shocking at times.

My first impressions really are not good.

So, can anyone tell me what I can do to make the game fun and hence make second impressions a bit better?

I've joined Kettemoor. Anyone there make sure you look out for a Trandoshan called Q'uQ'Umber Sanwjjj.

He's me.

Currently in Mos Eisley, skint. I had about 3000 credits, but I patted a Stormtrooper on the head and he fined me all my money. Bloody Imperials.

Then there's the fact that with my 512MB, P4/2GHz with Geforce3 Ti500 it plays like complete arse. I have turned it down to the lowest resolution and refresh rate and turned off as much as I can and still the framerate is trully shocking at times.

My first impressions really are not good.

So, can anyone tell me what I can do to make the game fun and hence make second impressions a bit better?

Lack of RAM and very populated areas = crap frame rate. It's more of a lag thing than anything else. If your frame rates are crap out in the wilderness then you simply have nowhere near enough RAM.

The running about shooting things bit is as good as SWG gets. When you become more powerful you get to hunt much more interesting creatures. Group hunts are also much more enjoyable for social reasons but sadly these are in the minority.

I progressed very quickly up the basic skill trees too, and now I'm getting absolutely nowhere. The amount of XP you need increases exponentially which is annoying.

The only other issue is the complete lack of time I have to play. I need to take a break from RL to have a halfway decent character I reckon.