Star Wars Galaxies

InsideOutBoy

I progressed very quickly up the basic skill trees too, and now I'm getting absolutely nowhere. The amount of XP you need increases exponentially which is annoying.

The only other issue is the complete lack of time I have to play. I need to take a break from RL to have a halfway decent character I reckon.

It's a grind, no doubt about it. For all SWGs promises of a different MMORPG experience it's basically Everquest in a Star Wars universe. It's not a game for the casual gamer.

Star Wars Galaxies, I say: Hmm.

As I said previously, I've never played an MMPORPG. And I think SWG has convinced me that I'll probably never like them. It just all seems to be a game about nothing. I can run about shooting animals. That gets boring. Then I get a bit better and I shoot human-type enemies. And then I think - what else is there? There's no real tactics in the battle system, so as my character gets better - I kill bigger enemies. Which is exactly the same.

Obviously, I'm missing out the social element, but I can't really see it. Instead of being bored shooting things by myself, I'll do it with other people. Or maybe I'll get bored shooting actual people.

I think if any of the basic actions that you do (fighting things, looking for resources, whatever) were actually any fun, it might be worth it. But as it is, you merely repeat dull action to garner fake rewards.

Initially, I got really into it, and was fully planning to properly buy the game and pay the fees. Now, I'm probably just going to uninstall it.

Lack of RAM and very populated areas = crap frame rate. It's more of a lag thing than anything else. If your frame rates are crap out in the wilderness then you simply have nowhere near enough RAM.

The running about shooting things bit is as good as SWG gets. When you become more powerful you get to hunt much more interesting creatures. Group hunts are also much more enjoyable for social reasons but sadly these are in the minority.

If anythign the frame rate was worse in Theed City on Naboo and there was hardly anyoen there. Still, at least I managed to get a DLT20a rifle, which means I can shoot one step above complete shite. The wilderness was a lot better, but lets face it there is no-oen there and there are hardly any buildings.

Talking of the wilderness, I ran from Mos Eisley to Anchorage. I know I have this five time vehicle hire pass, but can you hire vehicles after that or just buy them? If so, where from and how much do they cost per hire?

I seem to be making slowish progress. Anchorage was good for money as the 70-80 credit deliveries take about a minute each. I would like to do the better paying deliveries but I currently have transport issues. The run to Anchorage took much longer than the five deliveries in Anchorage that gets the same cash. So currently I am shooting shit outside Mos Eisley (which is getting easier now) and every so often going to Anchorage via shuttle to make some cash, with the view to hopefully upgrading my pistol sometime soon.

I am a little more intereste dnow, but to be honest I am still very disappointed. I loved EQ and I really wanted an EQ in the Star Wars galaxy. So far SWG seems to have failed on that, mainly in two key areas. Those are a feeling of progression, in that new abilities don't really feel like anything particularly new (OK, Point Blank 1 or whatever it is called does give better results in close combat but ultimately doing it looks the same as shooting my pistol normally, but it is hardly liek getting your first Damage over Time or Spirit of Wolf) and secondly the level of player interaction is minimal. In fact, once you leave a spaceport it is rare to even come across someone.

SWG just seems like more of a soloists game on my, admitedly limited, one and a half day test drive. But first impressions have not been good and, as the saying goes, they count.

It's a grind, no doubt about it. For all SWGs promises of a different MMORPG experience it's basically Everquest in a Star Wars universe. It's not a game for the casual gamer.

From my experience so far at lower levels it isn't even that. Even at level 2 or 3 with EQ you can still group with the basic elements in place, range attacks, medics and tanks. A few more levels and you introduce buffs, DOTs and the Enchanter into play. With SWG there doesn't seem to be such clear distinctions and so everyone ends up looking the same and doing more or less the same thing.

Maybe this changes at higher levels, but the player doesn't know when. For the lower level player everything just seems so similar and monotonous.

Maybe this is why, in my travels around so far on two planets, I have seen very few people grouping and those that did were obviously experienced.

I kicked the EQ habit a year or so ago. I've been interested in getting a new MMORPG and I thought maybe SWG might be it. I think I'll wait for EQ2 or WoW and give one of those a go. Maybe it is a limitation of it being part of the Star Wars Universe. Maybe the developers are not as open to variations in play as everything has to correspond to Lucas' vision. I don't know. I'm just rambling as I am incredibly disappointed. Thank God for 14 day trials, this way I haven't wasted 400 SEK on the retail version.

... secondly the level of player interaction is minimal. In fact, once you leave a spaceport it is rare to even come across someone.

SWG just seems like more of a soloists game on my, admitedly limited, one and a half day test drive. But first impressions have not been good and, as the saying goes, they count.

That's weird cos everyone in the guild I'm in on SWG say one thing SOE have nailed is community related stuff, and that player interaction is spot on. I can't really comment cos I haven't played any other MMORPG though.

I think that kinda thing comes in time. I was in a group of 3 from the start, we just used to do our own thing which was cool. Then I joined this guild and know loads of people from it, so the whole player-interaction thing for me is real good.

In fact, once you leave a spaceport it is rare to even come across someone.

Yep, outside of certain cities everywhere else is practically uninhabited.

SWG just seems like more of a soloists game on my, admitedly limited, one and a half day test drive.

Sadly it was not always like that, the designers did not design the game to be played that way but 90% of SWG players seem to prefer playing on their own.

For the lower level player everything just seems so similar and monotonous.

That's true but that is also true for most MMORPG's. Once you get more powerful you get to hunt bigger, more interesting things with more powerful weapons. It could be said that the MMORPG genre can be more like a job than a game.

im a novice rifleman / master marksman / scout. Im doing ok  i need a guild though.

Take my advice, choose your guild carefully.

Hmm well an early test does not bode well. I do the tutorial and it's the simplest stuff ever.

Dumped indignantly on Tatooine, my small green (and wholly unnatractive) helper droid tells me I should "Kill something". So I whip out my pole and head outside the city. Get a bit lost at first but remember the CTRL-M for Map.

So I kill a couple of these small creature things, and learn how to Berserk and use other skills. So far, so standard Online RPG.

Then a guy approaches me and asks me if I can teach him the pole weapon skill. I say "No".

"I Can't understand you!" he bemoans. I then remember - I'm speaking Wookie.

"At least teach me your language".

Now I'm lost here. I've just started and I haven't got a clue how to do that. So, with a flash of inspiration I type /shake - and it works, I shake my head! He doesn't seem to pick up on this though. [note: I'm glad I didn't wiggle my wookie ass suggestively].

"Teach me you language can you do that?!"

/shake, /shake

A dialog box appears "[other players name] is attempting to teach you basic [Delorean or something?] language". I click accept - FAIL.

Another appears for "understanding [Delorean]" - SUCCESS

"Basic [Delorean]" - FAIL

"[some other skill]" - FAIL

"Bloody hell". He runs off, just as I'm trawling through the "Help" files so I can perhaps teach him my Wookie dialect...but I can't actually find any help files on this.

So welcome to the universe! Needless to say I logged off at this point.

It seems like Everquest to me, but a bit more complex, a bit more shitter, and stupidly crippling for graphics cards.

To be honest I'm too busy to play anyway, but I think I've probably learned enough!

Can some of you guys explain the progression in Star Wars as you play the game longer?

The only MMORPG I've played is Final Fantasy 11 so I was wondering how Star Wars deals with things. In FFXI, you are pretty much free to go where you want but are limited by distance (walking takes ages and transport isn't available till higher levels). You can go through areas that are too high for you but you run the risk of being attacked by "aggro" baddies: i.e. baddies who will attack you if they see/smell/hear you.

As your level increases you are able to safer delve deeper into some areas, and some areas are effectively locked until you are of a high enough level (i.e. the quests to get into them you need to be of a certain level).

Within the huge game world you pick your starting city and then will porbably spend the first few sessions of the game nearby your home city, then as you play on you move further out. It sounds like Galaxies is a bit more open in this respect.

Anyone care to explain features of Galaxies' progression?

Can some of you guys explain the progression in Star Wars as you play the game longer?

The only MMORPG I've played is Final Fantasy 11 so I was wondering how Star Wars deals with things. In FFXI, you are pretty much free to go where you want but are limited by distance (walking takes ages and transport isn't available till higher levels). You can go through areas that are too high for you but you run the risk of being attacked by "aggro" baddies: i.e. baddies who will attack you if they see/smell/hear you.

As your level increases you are able to safer delve deeper into some areas, and some areas are effectively locked until you are of a high enough level (i.e. the quests to get into them you need to be of a certain level).

Within the huge game world you pick your starting city and then will porbably spend the first few sessions of the game nearby your home city, then as you play on you move further out. It sounds like Galaxies is a bit more open in this respect.

Anyone care to explain features of Galaxies' progression?

SWG is similar. Once you start the game you generally stay close to your starting city and once you have the finances you can buy a vehicle. Although at any time (if you have the money) you can use the games taxi like transport system.

As for general combat you select missions which are graded in regard to your your current abilities. Actually it's extremely difficult to die during these missions. You can also just set out to find creatures to hunt. Before you attack them you can always find out what chance you have against then. The more dangerous the creature you fight, the higher the XP you receive. SWG does nothing different to previous games in this genre.

SWG is similar. Once you start the game you generally stay close to your starting city and once you have the finances you can buy a vehicle. Although at any time (if you have the money) you can use the games taxi like transport system.

As for general combat you select missions which are graded in regard to your your current abilities. Actually it's extremely difficult to die during these missions. You can also just set out to find creatures to hunt. Before you attack them you can always find out what chance you have against then. The more dangerous the creature you fight, the higher the XP you receive. SWG does nothing different to previous games in this genre.

Yeah it appears to be Everquest's New Clothes...but then that's what it was based on.

Everquest 2 looks interesting. Might have some time to play that later in the year.

Hmm well an early test does not bode well. I do the tutorial and it's the simplest stuff ever.

Dumped indignantly on Tatooine, my small green (and wholly unnatractive) helper droid tells me I should "Kill something". So I whip out my pole and head outside the city. Get a bit lost at first but remember the CTRL-M for Map.

So I kill a couple of these small creature things, and learn how to Berserk and use other skills. So far, so standard Online RPG.

Then a guy approaches me and asks me if I can teach him the pole weapon skill. I say "No".

"I Can't understand you!" he bemoans. I then remember - I'm speaking Wookie.

"At least teach me your language".

Now I'm lost here. I've just started and I haven't got a clue how to do that. So, with a flash of inspiration I type /shake - and it works, I shake my head! He doesn't seem to pick up on this though. [note: I'm glad I didn't wiggle my wookie ass suggestively].

"Teach me you language can you do that?!"

/shake, /shake

A dialog box appears "[other players name] is attempting to teach you basic [Delorean or something?] language". I click accept - FAIL.

Another appears for "understanding [Delorean]" - SUCCESS

"[some other skill]" - FAIL

"Bloody hell". He runs off, just as I'm trawling through the "Help" files so I can perhaps teach him my Wookie dialect...but I can't actually find any help files on this.

So welcome to the universe! Needless to say I logged off at this point.

It seems like Everquest to me, but a bit more complex, a bit more shitter, and stupidly crippling for graphics cards.

To be honest I'm too busy to play anyway, but I think I've probably learned enough!

the map is actually ctrl+v. not ctrl+m

Well, that was the biggest waste of a 2GB download ever. Graphics are unbelievably shite, even on the fairly high settings and the game features the worst combat system i have ever had the misfortune of experiencing. :rolleyes:

I've yet to find a 3D MMORPG that is actually worth my money. I hope Dragon empires is better than this rubbish when it gets released.

Well, that was the biggest waste of a 2GB download ever. Graphics are unbelievably shite, even on the fairly high settings and the game features the worst combat system i have ever had the misfortune of experiencing. :rolleyes:

I've yet to find a 3D MMORPG that is actually worth my money. I hope Dragon empires is better than this rubbish when it gets released.

We should create our own MMORPG, where everyone is a different type of plant - and you have to grow your roots by fighting different soil battles.

Yes.

It's incredibly newbie-unfriendly - you'd have thought by now they'd have done something about that. Those tutorials were only introduced with the last patch, and they're still pretty useless.

If I hadn't been playing with Soong and met the people in his guild, I'd have stopped playing by now.

I got a ticket to another city, then went into a bar, and started dancing on stage to this guys music. Then I sat on the same chair as this woman so it looked like she was on my lap, and said "Shes sitting on my cock lolzzzz!!!111" someone called me a tosser and then I left!

I got a ticket to another city, then went into a bar, and started dancing on stage to this guys music. Then I sat on the same chair as this woman so it looked like she was on my lap, and said "Shes sitting on my cock lolzzzz!!!111" someone called me a tosser and then I left!

See thats how you should play games! I love messing about UO was great for that ;)

But people get all upset about it. Pfft! Wanna hang later in a bar and get drunk and chat up women who are probably people who look like Layte?

See thats how you should play games! I love messing about UO was great for that ;)

But people get all upset about it. Pfft! Wanna hang later in a bar and get drunk and chat up women who are probably people who look like Layte?

Yes!

But correction: People who probably ARE layte.