Musical tastes

The Shadow

70s - Classical, electronica (Vangelis, Kitaro)

Early 80s - Pop (see Vice City), rock (Bruce Springsteen)

Late 80s - Pop (Heart, Mr Mister, Phil Collins, Mike & the Mechanics, Marillion)

Early 90s - Marillion, Yes, ELP, Genesis, Pink Floyd

Late 90s - Progressive rock / metal, power metal (Dream Theater, Superior, Spock's Beard, Flower Kings, Isildur's Bane, Helloween, Stratovarius, Symphony X), slightly more jazzy (Yellowjackets, Doky Brothers)

2000+ - Devin Townsend, Pain of Salvation, a myriad of other progressive metal bands, a bit of Iron Maiden, Rammstein, Ozric Tentacles, Porcupine Tree, some Scandinavian jazz (Dokys, Terje Rypdal)... the listt continues.

A few others I'm not particularly proud of, but hey. I blame it on an isolated childhood in a third world country, with the biggest music shop being approximately 25 square meters. Thank fuck for the Internet.

How have yours "changed?" :)

From Bach to Rammstein is quite a change... oh wait, they're both German... I'm not saying that mine's huge, it's not the purpose of the thread, trying to see whose tastes are most diverse. It's just interesting to see whether people have been listening to the same thing all their lives, whether they KNEW from early on that this is what they like, or whether they went through a phase of exploration. I certainly know that ten years ago I wouldn't have listened to or liked anything by Devin Townsend, now I think he's the greatest thing since the Great Wall of China.

Also, I was hoping for a teenybopper to respond with:

early 90s - Spice Girls

late 90s - Take That

2000+ - Gareth Gates

You know, so I can call them a cunt and tell them to fuck off.

I'm not old enough to have such drastic changes in taste. In the 70s I was two separated entities, existing within two different people's genitals.

I guess I used to be heavy into dance music when I was a kid (until 14 or something) but I got into hip-hop really heavily after that. I'd always liked the Def Jam guys such as Beastie Boys and Public Enemy you understand, but I then grew to really love that stuff. I'm glad.

Dance music now sounds to me like the devil farting into a megaphone that has been drilled directly into my face.

I find that stuff pretty boring. I mean, it's all right. I listen to the Breezeblock and Gilles Peterson and stuff. I do get exposed to all the good stuff I guess. But it just bores me after a while. It doesn't help that all of the dance music fans and DJs that I know are anally retentive boring geeks who never shut the fuck up and insist on knowing more about music than me. Heathens.

haven't changed that many times.

until I 'knew about music' I was into chart stuff like Guns N Roses, Nirvana, Coolio, 2Unlimited (start of the 90s).

Then I went through a Blur/Oasis stage.

Then I got into Happy Hardcore, then into dance stuff. I bought some decks and subsequently bought some terrible and not-so-terrible trance (when trance was good).

Gave up the decks when the dance got crap and I suppose I moved on to hip-hop.

Now I like pretty much anything that is 'good'. I think I have pretty good music taste.

I find that stuff pretty boring. I mean, it's all right. I listen to the Breezeblock and Gilles Peterson and stuff. I do get exposed to all the good stuff I guess. But it just bores me after a while. It doesn't help that all of the dance music fans and DJs that I know are anally retentive boring geeks who never shut the fuck up and insist on knowing more about music than me. Heathens.

:x

10-13: Oasis, Blur, Space (britpop kinda shizznit)

14-16: Radiohead and some more heavier stuff

16 - present: stopped listening to nme and faux metally type stuff. I now mostly listen to experimental, noise, post-punk, post-rock, folk, jazz, hip-hop, electronica, krautrock, electro, idm, dub etc etc

I think what you say is true about periods changing and being mocked, but right now I know about ALOT more music than I ever did, and as you say, have refined my tastes. If I still only knew music from TOTP then it would just be trends.

I used to think Sash! was the best dance artist I'd ever heard :)

I wouldn't say my musical tastes have changed, but evolved. I started listening to my parents Beach Boys/Beatles records, then came the 80's and thats when I really started to develop a taste for pop/electronic music. I would listen to music by New Order, The Cure, Pet Shop Boys, Mantronix, Frankie Goes To Hollywood, Madonna, Duran Duran, OMD, Depeche Mode, & Erasure, but you can also add all those lovely classics from the Vice City soundtrack minus the rock.

Then I went to College, and I got into indie acts like Happy Mondays, The The, Echobelly, & Lush. But I also started to listen to John Peel, so that just blew open my ideas for music. Like the Aphex Twin, LFO, The Orb and Future Sound of London, it was definitely these acts that got me extremely interested in techno, electronica, drum & bass, ambient etc.. I also got into Dub and early UB40, but John Peel played a large part in introducing me to so many genres of music.

So during the 90's I was blown away by the Aphex Twin, which introduced me to Warp Records and the Artificial Intelligence albums (and other record labels like Clear, R&S, Plus 8, and Skam). But slowly I started to get into more guitar music like, Cocteau Twins, Belle & Sebastian, & Electrelane, Camera Obscura. I wouldn't of touched a Belle & Sebastian record during the early/middle 90's, such was my obsession with electronic music.

But I think years of listening to John Peel has enriched my tastes in music, for the better :D

Less so changed, more so broadened.

Obviously things change from when I was really young with my now albums, but from when I first started buying all the way through till now, I still listen to most of the stuff I first bought. Its just harder now when im into so many genres.