Brilliant movie sequences

FishyFish

Those little bits of movies that stand out as being technically brilliant, incredibly suspensful, edge of your seat exciting, gut-bustingly funny etc.

Lets see how many we can name.

I'll start the ball rolling with...

When Cameron Poe (Nicholas Cage) drops the prisoner's body from the convict transport plane in Con Air and we watch the corpse fall several thousand feet (accompanied by dreamy muzak) until it lands on the bonnet of a car being driven by a couple of bickering old folks (one of whom is General Hammond from Stargate SG1).

Standout!

Fishy

The tracking shot in the hospital shootout of Hard Boiled. It's choreography is second to none. Woo cheats here and there (it's not one continuous take) but that doesn't take away from the fact that this scene alone makes it better than the whole Die Hard trilogy.

-The house of blue leave fight sequence in Kill Bill

-The chase in Terminator 2 which starts in the shopping mall and ends with john being chased by a huge truck on his Motocross bike.

- The hector/ Archilles fight in troy.

The Falcon escaping the star destroyers post-Hoth, and going through the asteroid belt. Never bettered.

The T-Rex sequence from Jurassic Park, still the best bringing together of CG and animatronics I've ever seen. It's easy to forget what you're watching and enjoy it for what it is, just brilliant.

The sky sequences in Point Break, always make me forget I'm actually sat pissed on the sofa.

The lightning striking scene at the end of Back to the Future 1.

The Police Station assault from The Terminator.

The opening escape sequence from Raiders of the Lost Arc.

The Duel of the Fates sequence from Phantom Menace. ;)

The opening scene of Alien.

The bit where the alien turns up in the TV reflection in Signs.

The bit where the alien turns up in the TV reflection in Signs.

Reminded me of the bits in Pacific Heights where Michael Keaton is in the Porsche watching Melanie Griffiths and then the bit later when her husband enters the house and he's behind the door.

The loooong continuous shot to the tune of "Battle Without Honour or Humanity" in Kill Bill. It pretty much said "Here are the villains, they're fucking cool."

Alex W!!! you missed an opportunity, to, you know, say the BURLY BRAWL or something...

:(;)

Ah, Suspiria, when Jessica Harper is walking down a lush red hallway and she passes by the cleaning woman and the little boy. The woman is polishing a large knife and she tilts it so that light reflects off it into Harper's face, which puts her under a spell and makes her weak and nauseous. It's a short scene, but it's staggering - the colours of the hallway, the POV shots of the woman and boy, the reflection shining through the dust motes, the Goblin music... it's perfect. You almost feel the effect of the spell.

I could add any number of similar Argento moments, but that's the one that always sticks with me...

I was really impressed with the camera in Kill Bill where Uma whats-her-name enters that restaurant before the fight kicks off.

The way the camera zooms round corners and glides over walls as it follows different people as they go about their duties in that building is amazing. It's such a long scene (without a break), I dread to think how many times they had to film and re-film it.

The other film that really impressed with for its camera was `The Shining`. I think I remember reading that this was the first film to use the Steadicam (someone please correct me if I'm wrong). The way the camera glides around the hallways of the hotel as the little lad is on his bike, and again in the snow-filled maze outside, is truly a joy to behold.

Rob

the lobby shoot-out from the Matrix far exceeds the dodgy CGI bollocks of the Burly Brawl - if you want multiple opponent action, watch the gymnasium scene from 'Kiss of the Dragon' where Jet Li takes on loads of coppers armed with nothing more than a pair of slippers and a couple of sticks.

anyway.

last ten minutes of The French Connection.

motion-tracker / Newt scene from Aliens.

fight in the beatnik club from Point Blank.

"say hello to my leedle fren!"

the opening five minutes of the Solaris remake.