KOTOR (mild spoilers possibly)

mr.miffed

Mm, double-bladed lightsabers have a better base power and accuracy than wielding two seperate lightsabers ever will, but they lack the versatility offered from using two seperate ones with different crystals, which offer the possibility of wielding, say, one lightsaber designed for high damage-potential and the other for anti-droid/stunning ability.

I used a purple double-bladed saber with the Upari/Solari crystals. Makes the Star Forge and Malak a lot easier.

I gave Juhani two sabers, both with Nextor and Opila crystals in. One increases the critical hit chance and the other adds loads of damage to a critical, so when you do the master critical hit the baddies are fucked.

Jolee had a Krayt pearl and Jenraux crystal. Good for defense because of the blaster deflection. Lets him sit back and Force Storm everyone to bits.

Bastila had Darth Bandon's saber, which makes support crystals behave slightly differently to other sabers. Sometimes the effects are better than normal and sometimes they're worse. She had Sapith and Upari, which gave attack and damage +9.

I wanna play the PC version now for the orange/turquoise crystals.

I paid £12.14 with free delivery as a pre owned import. :unsure:

The double lightsaber has a better damage range so you might want to stick to it for awhile but you'll want to go for the long and short saber combo after you get a few powerful crystals to put an as you'll be able to do piles more damage.

Is missions vibroblade -2/-0 in the off hand postion? When I played through it first time, I used th eprototype balde and missions blade for my character until I got enough sabers.

another thing i havent tried out, during my many play-throughs, is some of the options you can do from computer terminals that use up a ridiculous amount of spikes. the only examples i can think of now, is the rebel enclave terminal on manaan. 150 spikes will apparently shut down the local power grid (no idea what use this could be), and 100 will open the submarine bay doors- does this mean you can get into the underwater research facility without accepting the rebel mission?

there were quite a few other interesting options, such as opening all the cells and freeing the prisoners in the sith academy. but ive never managed to save enough spikes up. anyone ever tried these to see what happens?

I'm having a real problem beating Malak at the Star Forge. On 'easy' - I kid you not.

All thanks to Bioware for including a tedious end-of-game boss.

Ah, I had real problems with him, mainly as I'd not invested points in any offensive force power aside from stun, which I couldn't use to destroy his regenerator jedi. I had to kill him over and over again using only lightsaber skills as a level 8 scout/level 12 Jedi Sentinel combination, which was bloody difficult. In the end I just spent about 25 minutes using all my power-up abilities (Master Force Valor and Speed) and fighting him until he died, saving the game, then using Master Speed and running away from him until my FP's had recovered, then healed, reactivated power-ups and repeated the whole thing until it was over. I hated him as a boss (so unfair, how was I supposed to know I'd need an offensive force power for him? And why, if Throw Lightsaber works, can you not just bash the regenerators to death? So very annoying...)

KOTOR II - Introducing Darth Sion

Check out the website on Wednesday, July 14th as we reveal a brand new area of the game and the newest villian of the Old Republic, Darth Sion! If you haven't been to the site recently, we've also added a narrated demo walktrough video, new character and planet info and an intense, lightsaber duel wallpaper for you to download.

http://www.swkotor.com

Just to let you all know :P

I'm having a real problem beating Malak at the Star Forge. On 'easy' - I kid you not.

All thanks to Bioware for including a tedious end-of-game boss.

Run round in circles, kill the jedi hanging up and run away, pause, heal, run, pause, heal, run, pause, heal. Once the jedi are all dead he's a piece of piss.

Run round in circles, kill the jedi hanging up and run away, pause, heal, run, pause, heal, run, pause, heal. Once the jedi are all dead he's a piece of piss.

Shut up, you're depressing me ;)

(On the plus side, I'm close to finishing the game for the second time, this time as an uber-powerful level 2 scout/level 18 Jedi Consular pure light arse-whupper. Fear my Stun/Whirlwind/Droid/Throw Lightsaber skills! Just don't expect me to be able to do much damage with my normal attacks...

But yes, his regenerators will be mine! Then we'll see who the daddy is!

Smallish spoilers- probably

When carth runs away from you on the Unknown world (well when you're an evil fucker that is) does anyone know whether there were intially plans for him to return on the Star forge? Cause I certainly expected him to have a better exit than that, unless I did something wrong... ;)

[quote name='thelostslug' date='Jul 14 2004, 11:46 PM'] Smallish spoilers- probably

When carth runs away from you on the Unknown world (well when you're an evil fucker that is) does anyone know whether there were intially plans for him to return on the Star forge? Cause I certainly expected him to have a better exit than that, unless I did something wrong... ^_^ [/quote]
You only get to see Carth again if your character is female and you played the romance sub-plot with him to completion. After you defeat Malak, a brief cut-scene occurs where, well...let's just say Carth-haters will approve.

Back to [i]The Sith Lords[/i] and here's a pic of that guy Phelan mentioned earlier:

[img]http://www.lucasarts.com/games/swkotor_sithlords/images/sion_thumb.jpg[/img]

[i]A twisted wreck, Darth Sion is a Sith Lord held together only by sheer force of will. Every bone in his body has been shattered and rebuilt, turning his skeleton and his flesh into a patchwork mess of bruises and scraping bone. He is in constant pain and only his hatred and the power of the Dark Side keeps him alive[/i]

Let me guess, as a kid he was a cute, floppy haired moppet into pod racing...

Wow, they could make the ultimate anticlimactic battle (well, except for the fish dude in Earthworm Jim), just talk to him enough so he loses his concentration and falls apart.

Well, I'd enjoy it <_<

why do people like kotor so damned much? i've sworn off bioware between this and nwn; too much disappointment. too much crap.

does anyone else have a serious problem with bioware's consistent flavor of game design?

actually, my apologies, as i dont know that i can delete posts, but i'm going to make this a thread.

why do people like kotor so damned much? i've sworn off bioware between this and nwn; too much disappointment. too much crap.

does anyone else have a serious problem with bioware's consistent flavor of game design?

actually, my apologies, as i dont know that i can delete posts, but i'm going to make this a thread.

WRONG.

Heh, actually KOTOR is the first Bioware game I've enjoyed and completed. It's probably the relative shortness, entertaining story, developed characters and quality voice-acting that did it.

That and the fact that I GET TO BE A JEDI WITH A BIG LIGHTSABER! WOO!

(I did enjoy most of Black Isle's RPG's mind, until they went bust. Talented but financially unstable bunch, Black Isle...)

Well, i've just finished this for the final time (must have seen all the endings and plots by now) and i think its finally time for me to put it to bed and get on with something more useful, or at least a different games.

a few final thoughts:

this game has kept me entertained longer than any other game of this generation.

the plot, dialogue and subquest/ mission structure are the best I have ever seen in a videogame.

as far as RPGs go, only Final Fantasy 7 has got more hours out of me as far as i can remember.

its a bit shit that you can't get the ultimate good side ending (by bringing bastilla back into the light) if you are a female character, and the same goes for the fact that carth's exit from the game is very anti-climatic unless you do everything in a very particular way, which most people probably won't on their first play through. the romance sub-plots are very easy to fuck up, and you don't realise youve fucked them up until a lot later. most people aren't liley to play it as comprehensively as I have.

Ah, I had real problems with him, mainly as I'd not invested points in any offensive force power aside from stun, which I couldn't use to destroy his regenerator jedi. I had to kill him over and over again using only lightsaber skills as a level 8 scout/level 12 Jedi Sentinel combination, which was bloody difficult. In the end I just spent about 25 minutes using all my power-up abilities (Master Force Valor and Speed) and fighting him until he died, saving the game, then using Master Speed and running away from him until my FP's had recovered, then healed, reactivated power-ups and repeated the whole thing until it was over. I hated him as a boss (so unfair, how was I supposed to know I'd need an offensive force power for him? And why, if Throw Lightsaber works, can you not just bash the regenerators to death? So very annoying...)

I did it first time round by setting mines near the regenerators and letting Malak set them off, plasma grenades work as well you just have to time it when he's walking past them. Then it was a case of attack him for a bit , run away, attack, run away. To be honest I wasn't that impressed with him as a final boss.

Just finished playing through it on the dark side it's so much easier, even at level 3 scout/level 13 Jedi nothing seemed to stand a chance against me in battle. Dark side characters seem way more powerful than light side ones.

I did it first time round by setting mines near the regenerators and letting Malak set them off, plasma grenades work as well you just have to time it when he's walking past them. Then it was a case of attack him for a bit , run away, attack, run away. To be honest I wasn't that impressed with him as a final boss.

Just finished playing through it on the dark side it's so much easier, even at level 3 scout/level 13 Jedi nothing seemed to stand a chance against me in battle. Dark side characters seem way more powerful than light side ones.

yeah, the force storm seems to be way more powerful than anything else, unless you have the new crystals from the yavin download... in which case a master speed/flurry combination does huge damage, and can kill just about everything except Malak with one hit (which does about nine attacks!)

[quote name='jamielemon' date='Jul 16 2004, 02:07 PM'] did you read the rest of my sentence? or is there a way to bring bastilla back to the light with a girl character? i thought you could only do it if you get her to fall in love with you, which you an't do with a female player character? [/quote]
With all due respect, Jamie, you are wrong on this - female characters are just as able to bring Bastila back as male ones. It's merely a question of choosing your responses carefully and sensibly. Whether or not you have played out the romance with her is entirely inconsequential, it merely offers the male character some extra dialogue choices in your final talk with her.