What aspects of particular games annoy you ?

Mogget

Bit of an obvious one really:

Ninja Gaiden's "filmed from a child's height" camera.

Likewise, PGR2's "strapped to the front bumper" camera angle. There's not a single camera angle in that game that actually approximates a proper driving position. The only alternative to "strapped to the front bumper" is actually lower, kind of a "hanging off the front bumper with your nose scraping along the ground" effect.

Pointless, non-sensical jumping sections in FPS's.

Ladders - why is going down one such a problem for designers to implement? Why not just have an area lock-on when you are near a ladder, which means that when near you will automatically attach to the ladder - so that I don't fall down instead of climbing down?

I hate it when you're progressing through a level and you get to an area and the guy on the radio says "oh no, you'll have to go carefully here" or "you'll have to go around this obstacle". How the fuck does he know? and let me work it out for myself, thanks. Brute Force (recent purchase) is terrible for this, the guy even tells you which weapon to use sometimes.

Ladders - why is going down one such a problem for designers to implement? Why not just have an area lock-on when you are near a ladder, which means that when near you will automatically attach to the ladder - so that I don't fall down instead of climbing down?

Riddick and Rainbow Six 3 have sorted this particularly well recently. As soon as you get near the ladder one button press gets you on it until you climb off the top or bottom. Much simpler.

I have to say that the ridiculous "bunny hopping" in Quake III Arena really pisses me off. You know what I mean. Every player jumping around non stop as they play. It looks stupid. It is stupid.

Sorry this is so late but I must defend the bunny hopping in Quake 3. It's unavoidable, you have to do it if you want to survive in the game, regardless of how stupid it looks. I ain't ashamed in admitting that I bunny hop all the time when I play. Plus, if you see pro's doing, in the 1st person mode it's actually quite skillful in what they can do.

Sorry this is so late but I must defend the bunny hopping in Quake 3. It's unavoidable, you have to do it if you want to survive in the game, regardless of how stupid it looks. I ain't ashamed in admitting that I bunny hop all the time when I play. Plus, if you see pro's doing, in the 1st person mode it's actually quite skillful in what they can do.

I don't think Bunny Hopping is defendable, as it reduces the fun of the game for both the guy doing the shooting, and the guy doing the hopping. Unlike, say, rocket jumping or any other such skill in quake, which has a worthy bonus.

I don't think Bunny Hopping is defendable, as it reduces the fun of the game for both the guy doing the shooting, and the guy doing the hopping. Unlike, say, rocket jumping or any other such skill in quake, which has a worthy bonus.

It is defendable and I don't think it reduces the fun. It just improves your skill at being able to shoot some who constantly moves. It definitely has for me.

In pretty much all games you tend to find certain sections you want to play again and again (used to do this all the time in Monkey Island 2). I wish more games would give you a sort of 'chapter list' after you complete it. 'Primal' was a game which did this really really well (well, I liked the game anyways).

Halo would have been even special-er if it had these. Immediately being able to do a bit of flying in a Ghost would have be great, as would the unmitigated pleasure out of blowing up things in the tank. Oooh, that was dandy.

Oh, I am well aware that it is necessary to "bunny hop" in Quake III to survive for any length of time. I am simply saying that it looks and feels stupid. I know that this is a fantasy game, but it is incredibly annoying. Just imagine a group of World War II soldiers bunny hopping up Omaha Beach on D-Day <_< Mind you, it would probably have worked. The Germans would have been laughing so much that they wouldn't have been able to shoot anyone :(

Oh, I am well aware that it is necessary to "bunny hop" in Quake III to survive for any length of time. I am simply saying that it looks and feels stupid. I know that this is a fantasy game, but it is incredibly annoying. Just imagine a group of World War II soldiers bunny hopping up Omaha Beach on D-Day <_< Mind you, it would probably have worked. The Germans would have been laughing so much that they wouldn't have been able to shoot anyone :(

<_< Fair enough

the control system in Resident Evil series <_<

Aye, but control type C in REmake on the GameCube is excellent :(

I agree about the combat in PoP, it's very dull and goes on far too long. I also agree about ladders in most games. I recently picked up an N64 with Goldeneye and I'm loving it upto now- but how the frig do you go down the ladders??

For me, it would have to be everything about the 3D Sonic games- the camera, the controls, the dull levels that don't have Sonic in them... While the idea of playing as Sonic in a 3D environment is a very cool one, Sega have yet to make one that's worthy of my cash. The thing is, I'm still drawn to playing them- even though they piss me off no end <_<

Games with invisible walls; you know the type - you are happily running around and BAM, you are stopped dead, because you are not allowed to go any further. But hey, instead of being creative about it, the devs just left a normal tile in your way, making you question why you can't go any further.

And excessive use of fogging - if the engine can't handle the view, again, try to be creative about it. Put lots of trees up, for example, or a mountain, etc.

I agree with bunny hopping, ladders, infrequent save points, low driving cameras and invisible walls.

I love my driving games and hate the invisible wall/reset confusion. WRC and PGR2 both have good (bad!) examples of the car not hitting an invisible wall, but also not being reset quickly when stuck down a ravine or otherwise, causing massive loss of time. On other occassions just as you are returning to the track, after making a great time saving detour, the reset kicks in! aaagh!

Am also not a fan of boss battles.

el_stevo - I get a laugh out of the intros before a match in Top Spin, where the players are carrying a large shoulder kit bag that doesn't feature on their shadows. I hate those simple oversights too. Did nobody view the final product before hitting retail??

I have to say that the ridiculous "bunny hopping" in Quake III Arena really pisses me off. You know what I mean. Every player jumping around non stop as they play. It looks stupid. It is stupid.

That's why I love Battlefield. If I catch someone bunny hopping I squash them with the biggest veichle I can find :angry:

Riddick and Rainbow Six 3 have sorted this particularly well recently. As soon as you get near the ladder one button press gets you on it until you climb off the top or bottom. Much simpler.

Farcry's good at ladders.

Physics engines in FPS games. What should allow a game to be more immersive frequently just makes you feel that you are wandering around with your hands tied behind your back attempting to push and pull objects using your teeth, and the whole thing starts to feel more artificial than it would have done if all the objects were superglued in place.

Game designers, increase the friction between objects and most srufaces a lot, If I run into a room and hit a crate I expect my character to stumble, I don't expect the crate to move very much at all. If I pick up an object give me the opportunity to rotate it, stop making me feel like a highly trained agent who has the motor skills of a rather backwards two year old.

I don't hold out much hope though, people have been failing to implelent ladders nicely for years now.

Games with invisible walls; you know the type - you are happily running around and BAM, you are stopped dead, because you are not allowed to go any further. But hey, instead of being creative about it, the devs just left a normal tile in your way, making you question why you can't go any further.

And excessive use of fogging - if the engine can't handle the view, again, try to be creative about it. Put lots of trees up, for example, or a mountain, etc.

Good one. I'm so fucking annoyed by those 'see that giant hill over there? Guess what, you can't reach it!' shooters. The worst thing is: it isn't hard to make it more realistic. Farcry did a pretty good job, instead of invisible walls there were rubber boats patrolling everywhere. So why are all those other developers too lazy too create some jeeps, sharks, lions, turrets, whatever to mark the end of the level? :rolleyes:

Time limits- offhand, I can't think of a single example where having one has made me enjoy a game more than if it wasn't there.

0/\0

Any game which forces you to replay pointless sections. If you want me to replay something than make it fun and put a replay option in there.

Otherwise I just get pissed off. I'm looking at you GTA. You harsh bastard.