What aspects of particular games annoy you ?

Mogget

I'll defend time limits in sections - for example, Halo's six minute race at the finale, or bombing around on your bike in Headhunter to defuse bombs. A short burst of urgency can work wonders, provided it's not too strict as to be infuriating.

Game-spanning time limits are a no-no.

Time limits- offhand, I can't think of a single example where having one has made me enjoy a game more than if it wasn't there.

I would agree, but... getting to the level exits in Descent. A heart-pounding experience that would have been destroyed by a lesuirely pace.

Games completely up their own arses (ie take themselves really seriously). Splinter Cell is for example UIOA.

Stupidly balanced gameplay. Forgetting the controls and loose aiming for a second playing Timesplitters 2 you could choose to play on normal (which was hard and with no save points in level) or easy which was very easy but with only half a level on offer. Didnt want to play normal or easy then.

Arse about face controls. ZTWW perfect; Splinter Cell back to front!

Games of the same genre that have the same controls mapped to different buttons. The main one being Pro Evo Soccer and Fifa.

Pro Evo - Square to shoot, Circle for hoofed long ball.

Fifa - Circle to shoot, Square for hoofed long ball.

It results in having a game of fifa against a mate, skilling him up, passing around his entire team to Owen, one on one with the keeper and BLAM! the ball sails miles over the crossbar because I've just pushed the 'hoof' button by mistake.

No, I don't expect for one second Konami and EA should ring each other up to sort it out and Yes, I should remember to change my controls before the game starts, but it's still bloody annoying.

And there shouldn't be ladders at all in fps'. Full Stop. Not one. They ALWAYS do them bad.

you people complaining about ladders in fps mystify me. the ones in most fps I've played recently (and certainly in Halo) are great. if they were dealt with any more rigidly they'd be a control liability. fwiw I climb them (both up and down) with my back to the wall so I don't get shot in the arse.

you people complaining about ladders in fps mystify me. the ones in most fps I've played recently (and certainly in Halo) are great. if they were dealt with any more rigidly they'd be a control liability. fwiw I climb them (both up and down) with my back to the wall so I don't get shot in the arse.

You can climb up a ladder backwards? - good trick! ;)

Anyways, I admit that I haven't played too many FPS's of late, so I can't really comment on more current titles. I just always remember them being a real pain.

I really hate the combat in Prince of Persia. I've just started playing the game and at first I was absolutely in love with it. Everything the reviews said about it's quality was spot on, and I was convinced I'd found myself another all-time favourite.

But the fights... so disappointing. Yes, it all looks good and flows nicely but they just go on for far too long - way beyond the point where it's fun and into the realms of frustrating repetitiveness. It's like the infamous alley fight in They Live. It's seriously turning me off the game, because much as I love the puzzling, I know that every time I get to a room where twenty or so enemies are going to spawn I'm going to get so pissed off I'll save and turn it off after the fight.

I agree.

I found the combat system confusing as well. The first boss seemed to block everything I did, so I assumed a special technique was required. Eventually I went back to jumping over his head and slashing him and low and behold it then worked. Annoying.

I also didn't really like the puzzles in Prince Of Persia though. By this point I've played a lot of games with puzzles in them (two Tomb Raiders, six Zelda games and several others) and there's just nothing new enough there to interest me.

I recognise Prince Of Persia is a brilliantly polished game and doesn't really do anything BADLY, but I've played too many games for it to be fun. Someone new to gaming in this generation would love it though I think.

You can climb up a ladder backwards? - good trick!  ;)

Anyways, I admit that I haven't played too many FPS's of late, so I can't really comment on more current titles.  I just always remember them being a real pain.

1. know where thy ladder is. if it's not behind you, make it so.

2. look down. only needs to be slightly down.

3. reverse.

Special abilities that can't be used on boses. Like in Ninja Gaiden where you get some weapon (can't remeber the name) that lets you stab enemies and steal a little of their health. Also, that weapon does fuck all damage to the bosses, like all of the other weapons. It's annoying to have so many options, but to be forced to use the Dragon Sword because it's the only one that deals any serious damage.

RPGs that have massive long unskippable dialogue sequences just before a boss fight. If you die (which you probably will, at least first time round), you can't just restart the boss fight, you have to sit through the dialogue again. This has got immeasurably worse since the introduction of voice acting as now you can't even hammer the buttons and skip through text-based dialogue.

FFX and Kingdom Hearts, I'm looking at YOU.