Ladykillers

Halonic

Seen last night (all praise to XFM)

I will spoil nothing. You will all go see this. Do not compare it to the original. It is a wonderful film in its own right.

"You brought your bitch to the waffle hut?"

"I met Mountain Girl at an IBSingles meeting"

Just go and see it

I will spoil nothing. You will all go see this. Do not compare it to the original. It is a wonderful film in its own right.

I'm afraid that I just don't think I'll be able to do that.

As great as I think the Coens are, or, at least, were, the fact that they felt it neccesary to 'reimagine' this CLASSIC has kind of pissed me off.

so i'll just give it a miss, I think.

yeah but is it better then Raising Arizona or Blood Simple

what im trying to say is whether this is a return to form for the Coens

Like "Intolerable Cruelty" never happened.

But seriously, Raising Arizona? Those glorious heady days are gone my friend, we will never see their like again. Ladykillers ranks along side Big Lebowski and O' Brother both in style and quality.

Don't get excited, JPickford me lad, it's terrible.

Admittedly I d/l'ed it, and it wasn't in the best of nick, but even when watching it without comparing it to the original, it's poor.

That 53 on metacritic, and the general panning in the States, is just about right. The only good thing about it is Tom Hanks.

The Coens have lost their way in a BIG way.

R.

Its by far the worst coen bros movie yet. Just utterly utterly pointless. Not funny, not original, nothing. At least Intolerable Cruelty had some gags in it, this has NOTHING.

Our first Tom Hanks movie AND our first coen brothers movie (talking about BVI here) and we get this pile of meh. Gutted.

Its by far the worst coen bros movie yet. Just utterly utterly pointless. Not funny, not original, nothing. At least Intolerable Cruelty had some gags in it, this has NOTHING.

Our first Tom Hanks movie AND our first coen brothers movie (talking about BVI here) and we get this pile of meh. Gutted.

Pretty much what I thought.

I did enjoy Tom Hanks' performance, but he was wrestling with a turkey.

Stick a fork in those Coens. They're done.

R.

I'll have to disagree with you kerraig. In no way is it their best film, but a travesty? Far from it. The humour may be slightly cruder than I would have expected, but the fact that it manages to bloom in the shadow of the eponymous Ealing classic is no mean feat. However, the Coen's 'formulae' is becoming slightly more familliar than I would like. :blink:

Fair enough. There was a little bit of me wanting to lower peoples expectations so as for them to not be TOO dissapointed. But you have to admit, the world of movies would be no different without this films existence, which certainly cant be said for Raising Arizona, Millers crossing, blood simple, fargo, big lebowski or o brother where art though

But you have to admit, the world of movies would be no different without this films existence, which certainly cant be said for Raising Arizona, Millers crossing, blood simple, fargo, big lebowski or o brother where art though

Well, no. Will they ever reach those dizzy heights again? ;)

fingers fucking crossed man

maybe its not possible to reach those heights again.

I feel this film is a spit in the face aimed right at British cinema.

Why don't they take a badly realised film and do that up.

I saw this over the weekend in Glastonbury.

Poor.

Not very poor, but poor nonetheless. Its narrative is just shoddy, its jokes very weak, it's the Coens going all 'South' again and so on. It has virtually zero pace, Hanks is fairly hamfisted, and the rest of the cast are just hanging around to see what happens. Except for the bald guy. He's mildly funny.

And oh what a crock of shit ending too.

I think it is now fair to say that Coens lost their way ever since Fargo. Oscars have a way of doing that to a filmmaker, of course, whether through essentially granting tham ultimate power, or a need to repeat their heady heights, or a bit of both. Fargo was a brilliant film, but is also the Coens' last truly brilliant film.

Lebowski was amusing, but very mixed up.

The Man Who Wasn't There Was interesting for its first 75 minutes, and then literally lost the plot completely.

O Brother Where Art Thou strings a series of tired jokes and lazy characters amid some excellent music.

And now this

(I've not seen Intolerable Cruelty).

It would seem that where the Coens still have their idiosyncratic spark, they have lost the motivating force that made them great storytellers. Maybe, like many artists, they used to have some limiting factor or factors that Fargo removed. Maybe they became drunk on success. Who can say?

What can be said is that they have lost the ability to really fire a great story up, and it is both their and our loss.

I agree thet've lost their way, but Big lebowski is rightly now a bona fide sleeper classic, and O brother is truly unique. I'd say The man who wasnt there and this are still their only TRUE duds, although Intolerable was obviously only them in third gear.

although Intolerable was obviously only them in third gear.

I liked it. I found it an amusing diversion with a decnet and placid pacing.

TheBig Lebowski is one of the most amusing scripts written in modern times.