IGNORED

27/6 Car Booting

Bluejam

Getting back to the topic at hand, can anybody recommend how I can actually find out about any bootsales in my area? I tried my local papers, but no joy, I've tried looking on websites but nada.

How else can I find out about them?

No... I buy cheap duplicates of any games. New, rare, or not. Hence why I have several copies of FIFA '95 on Megadrive, Sonic 1 (including the v1.1 Japanese revision) and, yes, a few rare games. I am sorry for keeping those copies of FIFA '95 away from eBayers as well as some of my less common duplicates.

I disagree with buying to resell.

Call me a hoarder. I probably am, sitting next to my 3 SNESes, 3 Mega Drives, 3 PSXes, 3 NESes, 6 Gameboys etc. But I get joy out of every single thing I own - no matter what system and I see it as better than buying exclusively to eBay.

2 copies also provides me one to keep mint, and one to play which is the ideal scenario for any pseudo-collector, no? If I obtained a third copy cheaply, I'd probably give it away to a mate.

what the hell is your problem with someone buying something to sell it on ebay? you do realise that every shop in the entire world, bar manufacturer's own outlets, buy to resell, don't you? shall we shut down the entire retail industry? bear in mind, if you ever want another nintendo to hoard, you'll have to fly to japan to buy it from them in person. shops are bad, mmkay?

why do you think it is better that you have 3 NESs, rather than selling spare ones to someone who wants one? then 3 people that want a NES have a NES, rather than 1 person having 3.

what the hell is your problem with someone buying something to sell it on ebay? you do realise that every shop in the entire world, bar manufacturer's own outlets, buy to resell, don't you? shall we shut down the entire retail industry? bear in mind, if you ever want another nintendo to hoard, you'll have to fly to japan to buy it from them in person. shops are bad, mmkay?

why do you think it is better that you have 3 NESs, rather than selling spare ones to someone who wants one? then 3 people that want a NES have a NES, rather than 1 person having 3.

incase they break? :blink:

incase they break? :blink:

that's a valid reason to own multiple ones, for sure. but it doesn't explain why it is in some way morally superior to hoard them than to buy and resell them.

that's a valid reason to own multiple ones, for sure. but it doesn't explain why it is in some way morally superior to hoard them than to buy and resell them.

profitting from you fellow gamer is bad, mmm-kay :blink:

If wasn't for people selling things on Ebay I wouldnt own a lot of the nice things I do !

Do I care if they bought it for a fraction of the price I paid them for it ? No! I bid what its worth to me on Ebay, so I never feel cheated.

So what is the problem with buying to sell ? A hell of a lot more people can access Ebay than some grotty car boot on a rainy Sunday morning.

I don't particularly. I happen to have 3 NESes because 2 were donated to me as "broken" by my Brother's mate and I'm not exactly going to refuse them, am I? It's also worth noting that NESes are well known to be very unreliable, so you could have chosen a better example.

I was responding to the claims that I was a hoarder, which I wasn't fully disagreeing with.

There is nothing wrong with buying stuff to sell on ebay. I earn a good wage, but I'm not minted, and if I can buy Saturn Bomberman for £1 and sell it for £40, which I then use to buy new games for myself, pah, more power to me.

The person I bought the Saturn and loads of games from was happy.

I was happy.

The person that bought the game on ebay was happy.

The only unhappy person appears to be you. Hey-ho, such is life.

Say if you didn't pick up Saturn Bomberman for £1, what would happen to it then? Either somebody else is going to buy it and sell it on eBay themselves, or it's going to get bought by somebody who doesn't know what the hell it is- and then it might get mistreated and eventually chucked out.

If you find something that's in demand at a boot sale, buying it and whacking it on eBay is providing collectors with a chance to get the game for themselves- and they'll be looking after it for (probably) years to come. I don't really sell many things on eBay, but if I did I'd be good enough to start every auction at 0.99p, with no reserve price. If people want to pay £40+, then they can- if they really want it so much. If I was looking for a specific game for my retro collection and I wanted a copy right away, I wouldn't want to chance picking it up at a boot sale- the chances of me seeing a copy would be remote if it isn't a particularily common game. I'd be able to rely on somebody listing it on eBay however. While I may be paying a little more than I'd like, the convenience and choice is what I'd be paying for.

I don't particularly. I happen to have 3 NESes because 2 were donated to me as "broken" by my Brother's mate and I'm not exactly going to refuse them, am I? It's also worth noting that NESes are well known to be very unreliable, so you could have chosen a better example.

I was responding to the claims that I was a hoarder, which I wasn't fully disagreeing with.

ok, but what is your problem with people buying things and selling them on? i don't understand - is this limited to people buying from car boots and selling on ebay, or does it apply to everything?

Having looked at your site consolepassion it has convinced to go into sellling retro saturn games - mainly because I know the true worth of them in Japan and how much money I can make on them to you mugs - sorry customers! 15 quid for daytona, its only 50p a copy over here!

How i laugh at some of the prices you guys pay!

I saw some stuff going on today that has got me thinking many of the pikeys will get bored/disheatened of buying games soon. I saw a nice boxed N64 with Goldeneye and 2 boxed pads, when I asked the guy said it was £40. Too much for me. However, this pikey woman snatched it and bought it.

I later saw her stood with some of her friends and she was boasting that her husband had told her to buy any Nintendo she saw to put on ebay. Think they might be disappointed with that purchase.

My stuff from this week consisted of a mint boxed Megadrive 1, Strider (boxed no instr), and a near-mint boxed Menacer including a mint 6-game cartridge. Now I have to see if I can get the bugger to work. :twisted:

M.