IGNORED

Spider-man 2

Sprite Machine

Right, so I've decided to prepare myself for the utmost disappointment (it's just easier in the long run); this game is out in, what... a couple of weeks? The idea is so fantastic that it could well be the ultimate super-hero game. The first game gave them the ground work to build upon, so if Spider-man 2 isn't the best thing ever, I'm going to be very disappointed (but I'm prepared to be :o ).

Bring it on!!

Right, so I've decided to prepare myself for the utmost disappointment (it's just easier in the long run); this game is out in, what... a couple of weeks? The idea is so fantastic that it could well be the ultimate super-hero game. The first game gave them the ground work to build upon, so if Spider-man 2 isn't the best thing ever, I'm going to be very disappointed (but I'm prepared to be :o ).

Bring it on!!

Well reassuringly the initial feedback from previews has been positive...

It certainly looks pretty cool...

So far it IS GTA. Right down the the almost anal number of stats kept, including how far you have run etc. You can wander off and do side quests, visit an arcade and play god knows what as I haven't tried yet. I'm assuming old activision games?

The city looks nice with plenty of people wandering around, lots of vehicles etc. It's a shock at first because as the camera flies over the city it looks bleeding awful, with objects and textures fading in a few feet in front of you. Once the game starts proper however, everything looks a lot more solid and refined.

Bruce Campbell is back talking you through the basics. You can set web swinging to manual or basic. I've set it to manual and it's bloody tricky as you have to have a building nearby for your web to cling to.

I'm still right at the beggining but so far I've foiled a few robbers on street level, chased a car and now I'm off to deliver pizza's.

So far so good. I'm impressed.

I actually ordered this yesterday from DVD Box Office for PC for the princely sum of £17.11. With courier shipping I expect to have this by Wednesday. Can't wait - looks pretty good from what I have seen / read.

I actually ordered this yesterday from DVD Box Office for PC for the princely sum of £17.11. With courier shipping I expect to have this by Wednesday. Can't wait - looks pretty good from what I have seen / read.

I don't mean to piss on your bonfire but according to Gamespot the PC version of Spider-Man 2 is meant to be a completely different game.

So, with the comparisons to GTA a-plenty, does that mean I can "go bad" and beat up old ladies on the street and steal their purses? That would be hugely entertaining (for me, anyway).

Does Spider-Man ever beat up old ladies?

With great power comes great responsibility, dude ;)

Unfortunately, you can't beat up the old ladies Vemsie. Top game though. Xbox version gfx are a bit ropey [damn PS2 port graphics restrictions] but once you're swinging through New York you won't care. Swinging on manual is definitley more fun than auto and can get quite hairy at times but it is not as precise and can get a little frustrating. The set-up is more akin to True Crime rather than GTA, meaning you don't actually have to help out if you don't want and if you do and you fail it just means you don't get as many hero points. Hero points unlock more fighting and stylised swinging moves to earn more points. Having Bruce Campbell voiceovering again was a nice touch and all the stars voices are there. Movie licence of the year so far and best Spiderman game since the first one on PSone.

I don't mean to piss on your bonfire but according to Gamespot the PC version of Spider-Man 2 is meant to be a completely different game.

Ho ho ho - now that is quite funny. You see, I had actually read that news item, too - and promptly completely forgot it. Now I can't cancel the order and will be stuck with a damn kiddies game. Shit.

Swinging on manual is definitley more fun than auto and can get quite hairy at times but it is not as precise and can get a little frustrating.

When it's on Auto does it stick to the clouds like it used to, or does it still attach itself to buildings and things? Does this mean you can't get that high up into the air? Does it restrict the ways you can swing and swoop and stuff? How do you 'find' a target to attach web to in Manual mode - the twin sticks?

Thanks for the insight; this is sounding great!

It seems webbing is only possible where there's stuff to 'web' onto - hence, don't expect to be flying high over Central Park or across the water. And whether you're playing manual or auto, your webbing locks onto the nearest stuff automatically (at least, from what I can tell), meaning you have to correct your swing by twitching left or right if you start going the wrong way. Although there is a double web thing that makes changing direction easier a little further on.

So far though: outdoor, GTA bits - rather good. Indoor and fighting bits... not so good. Not bad, but not so good. Done a couple of bosses and other stuff (about chapter ten) so there's a while to go yet.

And no - I'm not reviewing it. Actually playing this one for shits and giggles, between stints of Vib Ripple. ;)

It seems webbing is only possible where there's stuff to 'web' onto - hence, don't expect to be flying high over Central Park or across the water.

I've read you need to web a helicopter to reach the islands around Manhattan.