IGNORED

The Gamecube

sandman

When the N64 was out it seemed a failure on the sales front to me and everybody I knew.

It was stuck at the back of Eb/Game and when you perused the N64 shelves in any game shop you felt very alone. A few feet away people buzzed around the Playstation bit, chatting and drinking champagne as they toasted the success of the console they loved.

Sound familiar

Of course it does. Fast forward a few years and here we are all over again.

Except, the N64 actually sold a lot of consoles and is still one of the top ten sellers of all time.

So, is the GC stealthily selling by the bucketload? I hope so even if, at the mo, I am not playing it much ( stuck on that stupid hands boss fight on WW ).

Or is the GC a relative failure for Nintendo after all?

Queston is: Does it have it's 'Goldeneye' yet? Y'know, the game that will really get the console remembered in the eyes of virtually every gamer in the world for years to come?

I don't think it does.. yet.

I agree. I think Metroid Prime has come closest but I dont see much on the horizon that'll change it. Unless Zelda turns out VERY special indeed, it may not get it.

I agree.  I think Metroid Prime has come closest but I dont see much on the horizon that'll change it.  Unless Zelda turns out VERY special indeed, it may not get it.

I don't even know if the next Zelda will be enough, to be honest. The first 3D on the N64 one no doubt did wonders (though not having the same impact as Goldeneye did, of course).

Metroid Prime was a step in the right direction but I doubt it really turned that many heads. It's hardly the game that made other console-owners take notice of what's happening on the Ninty front - again, like Goldeneye did.

It needs something truly new and desirable. Not just something great (because it's got enough of those already) but something that turns heads - everybody's head - and makes it stand out and remembered for years. It needs, what you could call, an all time Classic (with a Captial C).

I really can't think what that would be, though. Exclusive GTA 4? :blink:;)

Except, the N64 actually sold a lot of consoles and is still one of the top ten sellers of all time.

That's not a massive achievement though, really.

It's not like there's been hundreds of consoles released, of which the N64 has remained a great seller. It's probably in the top ten because it's shitting all over stuff like the Jaguar.

What was the big deal about GoldenEye? Seriously, help me out here. I never understood the appeal. Then again, I've never really understood the apealk of FPS games in general - but what is it that makes GoldenEye so well-remembered among them?

I for one shall always remember the GameCube, though possibly not for all the right reasons. :blink: It certainly does not have a popular hit yet, only relative niche ones so far (Wind Waker, anybody?).

Thing about the N64 is that the PlayStation was its only realistic competition, and so it only looked as if it wasn't selling well by comparison. With the Cube, there are two consoles to compare it to - and it's doing badly next to both.

I don't even know if the next Zelda will be enough, to be honest.

I can remember when OOT was released and there was just mad excitment surronding it. You had to get your pre oreder in early at the likes of game to make sure you were one of the 'lucky ones' that got a copy (although this may have just been marketing bollocks).

Since then I have never seen or felt similer excitment about a games release on any format and I can't see that changing anytime soon.

What was the big deal about GoldenEye? Seriously, help me out here. I never understood the appeal. Then again, I've never really understood the apealk of FPS games in general - but what is it that makes GoldenEye so well-remembered among them?

Well, you remember it, right? :blink:

i agree with what most of you have said here about it needing a 'killer' app, i've got my fingers crossed that we're still to see the best the cube has to offer and when it arrives it'll probably better anything on any other current gen console - as for it selling well, well that's another matter...

as for the next gen the thing nintendo need to realise too is that just simply launching their next console before sony isn't the right strategy to beat them sales-wise, they need to consider the actual look of the console but more importantly they need to get the advertising right.

The single player part was great. Truly great. A "Triple A" game all on it's own, but it was, in my opinion, the multiplayer aspect that made it turn people's heads. While everyone else was arseing around with thier one-on-one deathmatches, or trying to link up two playstations, two tvs and two copies of Doom, or whatever, Goldeneye allowed you to just go round to a friend's house and get stuck in. And get stuck in to something as incredible as Goldeneye.

Everyone has thier favourite multiplayer setting with Goldeneye. For us it was Golden Gun, 2v2 Facility. Magic. Everyone had thier own player (except me, as Bond, Trevelyan and Orumov were already taken. I got stuck with ranger elites or some shit like that.) and even now, when me and my friends talk about Goldeneye, we all know that we're thinkign about Golden Gun, 2v2 etc. I've never played anything like it, and as good as Halo is on multiplayer, it doesn't hold the same special something that made Goldeneye so incredible.

Ahhh..... I feel all sad now. :blink:

You were Bond, and the game was actually good to boot.

The single player part was great. Truly great. A "Triple A" game all on it's own, but it was, in my opinion, the multiplayer aspect that made it turn people's heads. While everyone else was arseing around with thier one-on-one deathmatches, or trying to link up two playstations, two tvs and two copies of Doom, or whatever, Goldeneye allowed you to just go round to a friend's house and get stuck in. And get stuck in to something as incredible as Goldeneye.

Everyone has thier favourite multiplayer setting with Goldeneye. For us it was Golden Gun, 2v2 Facility. Magic. Everyone had thier own player (except me, as Bond, Trevelyan and Orumov were already taken. I got stuck with ranger elites or some shit like that.) and even now, when me and my friends talk about Goldeneye, we all know that we're thinkign about Golden Gun, 2v2 etc. I've never played anything like it, and as good as Halo is on multiplayer, it doesn't hold the same special something that made Goldeneye so incredible.

Ahhh..... I feel all sad now. ;)

*hugs*

Oh, and Facility, License to Kill, Pistols. :blink:

Metroid Prime is a classic game, make no mistake.

GoldenEye was licensed, so a lot of people would've bought it for that reason. It was also a very good game in it's own right- so the geeks who usually avoided film tie-ins (because, let's face it, 9 times out of 10 they're shite) would've bought it. It was also the first 'real' FPS for a console, and was the first console FPS with a decent multiplayer mode- which took advantage of the N64's four controller ports. It had a lot going for it, so it's no wonder it was very successful.

Queston is: Does it have its 'Goldeneye' yet? Y'know, the game that will really get the console remembered in the eyes of virtually every gamer in the world for years to come?

I don't think it does.. yet.

Is it now beyond the point where it can get a game like that? while the N64 will be remembered for Goldeneye by many, has the Gamecube already made its impression on the peoples?

Even if the GameCube hasn't had a "killer app" as yet, it has had enough great games to justify its existence, and its place in my games collection. Metroid Prime, Harvest Moon, F-Zero GX to name three in my (small) collection.

And GameCube has already had its "killer app" for me, Beyond Good & Evil. I know it's not cube-exclusive, but its the only version of the game that I have played - and I found the game to be so wholly enjoyable that I am sure it won't be surpassed as my favourite game on the GameCube!

And remember, one mans "killer app" can be anothers "also rans". Halo, GoldenEye... great games in my opinion (and the opinion of many!) but they also have their knockers (ooer).

It's a Dust console for me at the moment.

You can draw a smiley face on the lid.

You can do that with mine, because I haven't opened the lid for weeks. I've been playing PSO3 solidly since it's release.

Oooh, while we're reminiscing about Goldeney multiplayer - my friends and I made up a king of the hill type mode of play, where one team of 2 had to hold onto one of the big rooms in the facility, while the other tried to take it by force (naturally, we always used rockets :blink:). Brilliant fun.

Having no triple A title hasn't stopped the PS2 selling shedloads has it...

I'd disagree about the Metroid Prime example as well, show me a more immersive, solid, atmospheric and superbly designed game world this gen and i'll eat my leg. It plays a bit as well!

As great as Metroid is, it's not the killer app the GC was/is looking for. It's not accessable enough, certainly not in the way that Goldeneye was, and that puts people off.

If anything, I think RE4 could be the game that turns people's heads. Again, not in the same way as Goldeneye, but moreso than any other GC game to date. It's a recognised brand, one that I'm sure most people still associate with great atmospheric gameplay that they experienced in the first title. And it looks absolutely unbelievably stunning. If that doesn't make people stand up and think about picking up a Cube, I really do not know what will.

With the Cube, there are two consoles to compare it to - and it's doing badly next to both.

Last I heard it was either equal to or greater than the Xbox in sales terms, so, no. The PS2 on the other hand, well, it's just getting silly how many units have now been manafactured/sold...