IGNORED

The Gamecube

sandman

The n64's success was very much to do with a late good run of sales due to Pokemon, and there's a fair argument to say that Nintendo got incredibly lucky with the success that Pokemon generated. Without it, they would be a shadow of their current strength. Not that they appear to have learned anything otherwise.

Or maybe they're hoping that the cube will also be a late bloomer.

Having no triple A title hasn't stopped the PS2 selling shedloads has it...

I'd disagree about the Metroid Prime example as well, show me a more immersive, solid, atmospheric and superbly designed game world this gen and i'll eat my leg. It plays a bit as well!

Arguably the PS2's killer app is the Playstation brand - it's a self-fulfilling prophecy in reality.

The titles that shifted a lot of N64s were in the latter days, Smash Brothers and Pokemon Stadium. The PSone was also going through something of a lull at the time.

The GC has had sequels for both of these titles now, so it needs something else. Quality doesn't necessarily sell a console (look at the DC), it needs a title that will grab people's attention and snowball like GTA3. At the moment, it's difficult to see where that title will come from. The new Zelda maybe?

Nintendo has always sold subsequently less for each home console release since the NES. With the PS2 AND the XBox to contend with, it's difficult to see how the GC isn't going to continue that trend.

Nintendo has always sold subsequently less for each home console release since the NES. With the PS2 AND the XBox to contend with, it's difficult to see how the GC isn't going to continue that trend.

But does that actually matter?

Not really no. Obviously, if that trend were continue indefinately eventually Nintendo would give up on hardware (which might be a good thing, depending on your pov) but imo better sales do not mean better games, so unless you are Nintendo's accountant, the decline in sales shouldn't really phase anyone.

If the Cube gets its Goldeneye, it'll take off. As has been said, Goldeneye made you sit up and take notice because there had been nothing quite like it before. And if you wanted to be Bond, you had to get an N64.

These days, there aren't that many console-exclusive system sellers with universal appeal, and none of 'em are for the Cube. Want to play Halo? You need an Xbox. Want to play GTA? You need a PS2. Want to play... erm... Nintendo games? Get a Cube, go on, it's great, you'll love it, honest, pleease get a Cube Mr. I-Know-Nothing-About-Games... no, that's a PS2.. no.. put that down... not GTA, Pikmin... stop that... oh... you've bought it. Doh.

Mario Kart: Double Dash has probably been the closest the Cube has come to a Cube exclusive with Universal Appeal, and it did help to sell a bucketload of Cubes. Now it needs another I think. It's hardly doom and gloom time, but it would be nice to see it get some more recognition!

Didn't the N64 make as much profit as - if not more than - the NES and SNES? True, Nintendo's market share fell massively, because the market itself widened (thanks to Sony's marketing). However, Nintendo continued to make pots of cash, which is surely their objective.

People tend to think the N64 did badly, because it sold less than Playstation. But it's a false comparison. Of course, I'm sure Nintendo made that comparison themselves, and would have loved to have 100% market share with the N64. However, the bottom line is that they made a big profit during that period.

I guess the way to look at it is that, with the N64, Nintendo continued to do well. However, Sony did even better. If you must judge it as a race, then, granted, Nintendo came second, but dont' forget that the consolation prize was huge truckloads of cash.

Queston is: Does it have its 'Goldeneye' yet? Y'know, the game that will really get the console remembered in the eyes of virtually every gamer in the world for years to come?

I don't think it does.. yet.

Resi 4 i think is going to do that, have you seen that game running, it's beautiful, with the right marketing(maybe something along the lines of the orignal PS1 games) it'd be huge.

Also Killer 7, there is really some amazing stuff coming up for the cube, better IMO than the other two.

Resi 4 i think is going to do that, have you seen that game running, it's beautiful, with the right marketing(maybe something along the lines of the orignal PS1 games) it'd be huge.

Also Killer 7, there is really some amazing stuff coming up for the cube, better IMO than the other two.

Agreed, Resi 4 is their killer app but only if they market it right. Given their current track record I'm not holding my breath...

a few weeks ago i was in france and in all the indie videogames stores, supermarkets and videogames chains.. the GC and GBA had equal shelfspace to the PSOne/PS2 and the xbox was at the back of every shop like the GC is here..

i think nintendo have well and truely lost this generation in the UK but that doesnt mean they cant turn everything around for the start of the next console :S Its a shame because at times the GC has been a sucess in the UK.. like the launch which was bigger than the PS2 and xbox ones and how it outsold the ps2 at this time.. resident evil, super mario sunshine, zelda, metroid prime, it is a very hit driven console and only seems to attract attention for short time periods for the landmark games :S

While it has had great games, the Cubes days here are numbered, they are constantly traded in more then any other console and the games just don't sell, new or used.

Exclusive games do sell. And there aren't more GCN titles traded in than the others at all. It's the least traded in, in fact.

Software sales for general games on the platform, are low. But exclusive games sell amazingly well. We even sold out of Final Fantasy: CC when it was released (in the first day or two). So had Gamezone, GAME, Virgin and MVC.

It just needs more exclusive support, really. And something that people want.

Someone mentioned Goldeneye being the first 'proper' console FPS. So what, do Doom and the like not count or something?

Goldeneye's pull was the fact it was an easily accessible game, easy to pick up, widely known brand, fun to play, etc.

The GameCube has an image problem, has nothing to really pull people in that's serious, but fun. It needs something to cover both single and multiplayer. And do it well, and appeal.

they are constantly traded in more then any other console and the games just don't sell, new or used.

Where I work the majority of stuff traded in is PS2 games and consoles. When I've been working, I honestly don't think we've had a Gamecube, or Gamecube game traded in for about a fortnight. Whereas we get a shitload of PS2 stuff, daily.

Where I work the majority of stuff traded in is PS2 games and consoles.  When I've been working, I honestly don't think we've had a Gamecube, or Gamecube game traded in for about a fortnight.  Whereas we get a shitload of PS2 stuff, daily.

Might that simply because of the difference in userbases and the amount of them bought in the first place?

More PS2's bought = more to trade in. Proportionally, the GC may be the same or higher. <_<

Might that simply because of the difference in userbases and the amount of them bought in the first place?

More PS2's bought = more to trade in. Proportionally, the GC may be the same or higher. <_<

Not a chance.

There are plenty of Cubes sold, but there's bugger all traded in whatsoever.

Not a chance.

There are plenty of Cubes sold, but there's bugger all traded in whatsoever.

What Spew said.

We sell quite a lot of Gamecubes and games, surprisingly. Nothing like PS2 standards, but a decent amount. Yet we get very little traded in, and when we do it tends to be the multiplatform games, and also the older ones.

What Spew said.

We sell quite a lot of Gamecubes and games, surprisingly. Nothing like PS2 standards, but a decent amount. Yet we get very little traded in, and when we do it tends to be the multiplatform games, and also the older ones.

Yep, exactly.

Another thing, the only time more than a few titles get traded (which even then is quite rare), is when the person is getting rid of it totally.

I don't think people are willing to get rid of them that easily, because they know how little they're worth.

Which is a pretty good way of keeping a console in a gaming household.

Goldeneyes appeal was that it took the FPS rules of the time and and urinated and/or extrapolated on them.

The cube title that I hear non-gamerish people talking about is still Super Monkey Ball, primarily for the minigames.

I don't know what any of this means, but the N64 and GC are very different beasts.

The question is, is it all too late in the day?

Oooh, while we're reminiscing about Goldeney multiplayer - my friends and I made up a king of the hill type mode of play, where one team of 2 had to hold onto one of the big rooms in the facility, while the other tried to take it by force (naturally, we always used rockets <_<).  Brilliant fun.

that would be so easy to counter.....one of the main problems I found in Goldeneye multiplayer was that in any room in level, there is hardly a refuge point where you cannot be grenadier from the outside.

Anyhow Goldeneye and OT were my greatest gaming experiences eva....why subsequent 007 titles weren't released for the n64 i will never know and forgive (both Nintendo for not securing the licenses and rare for being a bunch of **********). Anyhow..........GC looks good......i've already got a fair few titles and i'm sure it hasn't reached its peak as a console as there are more games in the pipeline. One thing i would like to see though is Nintendo forcing something like xbox live.

Trouble is mass market taste change these days and are now Sony whore.

We also don't know what Nintendo is like outside UK that well. Gamecube is not doing well in UK.

It's not doing too well in Holland either. The PS2 is the Big One, the Xbox is very popular by late teens/early twenties and (ex)PC gamers and has gained a lot of popularity in the last year or so. The Cube is losing shelfspace all the time and getting put back further away in the stores. Most people that I know that bought one are either parents of Pokemon-hungry children and fans of the older Nintendo systems, and most of them are pretty disappointed by the Cube's lineup.